Alcantara or Nappa?

StahlerS3

Reaction score
Hey guys,

first post on here, but an avid user of previous car forums so I know your help is very valuable!

I have ordered an S3 Sportback and I just can't make the decision between the Alcantara+Leather option or the Nappa Leather.

I can't find any decent photos of both to compare.

Could any of you post some pictures on here so I can have a look?

Thank you very much in advance!

Haven't got any photos mate, but I love alcantara. I had leather on my S3 (could have been Vienna leather back then) then opted for alcantara on my A5, best choice I made. Now about to order an SQ5 but can't get alcantara, unless I want to part with 2 grand! So settling for Nappa.
If it was me I would definitely choose alcantara, just looks more 'plush' to me. However, how about the super sports seats? Mmmm.

+1 for alcantara!

I specced it on my A3 SB and had it on my previous car, an A4 Avant.

It is very plush and warm in winter (not heated seats).

It wears extremely well and looked as good as new when I parted with the A4 after three years and over 82,000 miles!

I agree - I love allcantara but I wanted the sports seats.

Why Audi ??? I wanted the option of super sport seats with alcantara instead of quilted leather

Love the Alcantara on mine, and specifically didn't want full leather seats, so worked out great for me

Personally, I think the super sports seats look terrible. I don't like them at all, and I don't like the quilted effect either.

Love the Alcantara on mine, and specifically didn't want full leather seats, so worked out great for me

Personally, I think the super sports seats look terrible. I don't like them at all, and I don't like the quilted effect either.

They aren't sports seats either.

I have Nappa Leather in my S-Line and seats are fantastic. Not too slippery either. Heated seats are a must though for the winter, (not sure if standard with the S3?). Either way, I've had cars with Alcantara previously and had no issue - but the Nappa Leather option is a good choice and gives the car that nice leathery scent.

Would also recommend the Mono-pur option which nicely compliments the interior.

-1 for Allcantara. Had it just once, never again. It's comfy, grips you well and looks good when clean, but, it's a total ***** to keep clean and if you have cats or dogs, good luck - as every lose hair will stick to it. Mine aged badly and the stuff absorbs moisture far too easily. Nappa leather is much better wearing IMO and cleans really easily. It looks (and smells) better too.

I prefer the Audi Leather/Alcantara mix. never liked the BMW Alcantara which has a bad reputation but Audi stuff is fine! Highly practical, easy to clean and doesn't sag like Nappa Leather does... as for dogs and cats in cars.. NO WAY...

Alcantara +1 Had Nappa in my 8P S3 and always felt as though I was sliding around in the seat; chose Alcantara for the 8V S3 and really like it.

Reactions: PilotAudi
I prefer the Audi Leather/Alcantara mix. never liked the BMW Alcantara which has a bad reputation but Audi stuff is fine! Highly practical, easy to clean and doesn't sag like Nappa Leather does... as for dogs and cats in cars.. NO WAY...

Never had Nappa sag in any Audi I've owned. I’m hardly going to transport cats around in my car. Doh! As anyon will know who keeps them, cat hairs get everywhere and when I had the alcantara seats, they’d stuck to those like Velcro. I like the stuff, but prefer nappa and also, it does look a bit cheap IMO. Nappa is much (much) easier to keep clean and you don’t get the problem with moisture, which in the S4 evant I had with those seats was a problem now again (after a long drive with wet fishing gear in the car). Like I said, wouldn’t chose it again.

Interesting
Wife's 2008 TT had Nappa seats that sagged (well known) A5 Milano seats go saggy to especially cabriolet. We are far from heavyweights.

Audi switched to sourcing leather from bulls from 2009 onwards - maybe that helped with durability?

Audi interiors: now with added bull - What Car?

Members of my family have had various Mercedes-Benz and Audi models in the last few years, all with leather interiors and none as had any sagging issues.

Our 2011 A5 Cabriolet had poor sagging as did every other Cabriolet of that era and beyond in the car park.. (6 or 7 of them!)

Just take a look on the TT Forum too for pics.

The Audi TT Forum :: View topic - Sagging Seats? - Post your pictures/details here

I'm keeping a very close eye on my new nappa seats in my S3. Not sure if there is any regular maintenance you can do which will keep leather taught though is there?

I'm keeping a very close eye on my new nappa seats in my S3. Not sure if there is any regular maintenance you can do which will keep leather taught though is there?

A nice 'throw' over them might help .

Nappa base pic, really need to take some of the back sometime.

It will stretch over time though I suppose, The S4 I had a go in a few weeks ago had alcantara seats and I have to say I found them really nice
Then again perhaps I found the A4 cabin much nicer size of car being 6ft 3, I reckon I know where I want to go if I get another Audi in a few years.

20130914_153954_zps11fe7b2f.jpg

Last edited:
Loving our Alcantara/Leather.

I'm 6'3 too and have more than enough leg room in S3 don't use full leg room capability.

I am 6' 8" and the A3 is the only "small" car I fit into comfortably (including other VAG models based on the same chassis). Well, I also fit in a mini, but I don't like the interior... or drive.

Reactions: PilotAudi