Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree106Likes

Thread: S tronic Vs Manual

Reverse Gear

Status

S tronic Vs Manual

Hi all

new member here.

I have a question or more like advice on the Stronic vs the manual gearbox.

I am getting an A3 Saloon Sline through work (i have to pay a bit extra to have the audi) and was wondering if any of you have any recommendations around s tronic or any negatives around it? Does anyone ever regret getting the stronic?
    Ive always driven a manual gearbox (audis) but do love how easy the auto's are.
    Difference to me between a manual and auto box is £26 a month.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

2. # ADS
    ADS

Quote Originally Posted by rizzoface View Post
    Hi all

new member here.

I have a question or more like advice on the Stronic vs the manual gearbox.

I am getting an A3 Saloon Sline through work (i have to pay a bit extra to have the audi) and was wondering if any of you have any recommendations around s tronic or any negatives around it? Does anyone ever regret getting the stronic?
    Ive always driven a manual gearbox (audis) but do love how easy the auto's are.
    Difference to me between a manual and auto box is £26 a month.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated
    I think you should do a search on this thread for 's-tronic'. There have been lots of discussions about the advantages although some members still prefer to stick to a manual.

Personally I've had an s-tronic on my last four A3s and will be having the same on the new one I have on order. To me it is the best of both worlds and I love it. I drive mine the same as I would a manual making my own choices when to change gear and using either the centre stick or the paddles but without having to keep pushing a clutch pedal. I would never order another car with an s-tronic.

The type of engine you choose will determine whether it comes with a 6-speed wet clutch or 7-speed dry clutch version of the s-tronic.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

3rd Gear

Status
    I think it's one of those things that's a personal choice but I would say that I have never once regretted having S-tronic instead of manual. I usually drive it in auto mode but always have the paddles if I disagree with the car's choice of gear, and no need for the hassle of using a clutch either.
    A3 SB S-Line TDi 184PS Quattro S-tronic. Shiraz Red, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Sunroof, LED lights, lots of other stuff.

1st Gear

Status
    As a new driver I had a manual Corsa D before and I wanted to go for an automatic so I went with an S-tronic, and I love it! It's just easier and if I'm honest, I find myself driving with two hands on the wheel a lot more than with a manual! Normally I rest my hand on my gear stick.
    I kind of do miss having a manual sometimes but then I realise.. No I don't! I love the S-tronic gearbox it's so smooth and quick it's great.

5th Gear

Status
    If you're a MAN then you need a MANUAL

- according to the yoof in the video below anyway.

Me? S-tronic allday, everyday.

S3 8V 3DR DSG ACC ABS ADS AMI ASR ASS DAB DBW DIS DRL EBA EBD EDL EGR EPB EPS ESP GPS LED MFSW MMI PDC PSF RAC SDXC TFSI CO2 EEC OTR WTF OMG

3rd Gear

Status
    I'll never go back to having a manual as my daily runner.
    Wife has got s-tronic in her Q5 too - was sold on the attributes during a test drive after initially wanting a manual.

Don't know about the model in question, but the S3 s-tronic is 0.4s faster to 60 and the pops and bangs on downshift are another plus.

Test drive both, run them on your commute route and see which fits best.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    I think you should do a search on this thread for 's-tronic'. There have been lots of discussions about the advantages although some members still prefer to stick to a manual.

Personally I've had an s-tronic on my last four A3s and will be having the same on the new one I have on order. To me it is the best of both worlds and I love it. I drive mine the same as I would a manual making my own choices when to change gear and using either the centre stick or the paddles but without having to keep pushing a clutch pedal. I would never order another car with an s-tronic.

The type of engine you choose will determine whether it comes with a 6-speed wet clutch or 7-speed dry clutch version of the s-tronic.
    Thanks

Will be going for the 1.4 CoD - only do around 11-12k miles a year so cant really justify a diesel.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by veeeight View Post
    If you're a MAN then you need a MANUAL

- according to the yoof in the video below anyway.

Me? S-tronic allday, everyday.
    Lol..yoof..love it

2nd Gear

Status
    Thanks

Will be going for the 1.4 CoD - only do around 11-12k miles a year so cant really justify a diesel.
    I do about 1000-1500 miles more than you and have opted for the 1.4 COD S-Tronic over the diesel this time, can't fault the auto at all and don't see me switching back to manual.
    Arrived - 8V A3 1.4tfsi COD S-Line Sportback S-Tronic, Daytona Grey, Audi Sound System, Interior Light Pack, Light & Rain Sensor, Alu Roof Rails, Privacy Glass, Non Smokers Pack, Deletion of model & technology.

Status
    I'm in the undecided camp. I don't have a choice on my next car, S-Tronic is fitted as standard, but when I drove the 8V recently in DSG spec it felt a very good gearbox / car combo.

I don't know why but there is something about the art of driving that makes me enjoy the mechanical process of changing gears by hand. That said, I fully understand an automated system will make a much better job of it than my ham fists.

I think you have to drive them both on an extended test drive and then go with what most stirs your soul. I don't think you can always go on the opinions of others on stuff like this.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

3rd Gear

Status
    Manuals are slowly dying for mainstream cars (although I'll want one on the caterham road sport I have planned!) so go stron now the boxes have improved. New baby lambo....double clutch box only. Same for the 911GT3. Don't think I'd not be a MAN if I drive either of those...
    S3 Saloon S-Tronic. Panther Black. Tech Pack, Super-sports seats, LED Lights, Comfort pack with Adaptive Cruise and parking plus, Folding mirrors, Bang and Olufsen Sound System, Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy glass, Tyre sensor, Boot Mat (Countdown Thread)

Previously 2.0TSi VW Scirocco

181 BHP

Status
    I would go down the S Tronic route. But that's my opinion, there are some other comments in this post ..Anyone with S-Tronic miss a manual?
    Proud Owner - A3 Sportback 2 lt Quattro - S Line - Daytona Grey

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jbs2472 View Post
    I do about 1000-1500 miles more than you and have opted for the 1.4 COD S-Tronic over the diesel this time, can't fault the auto at all and don't see me switching back to manual.
    How do you find the performance MPG?

4th Gear

Status
    Oh gosh, how long is a piece of string? I've had both and prefer a manual.

The s tronic is very good but it's your choice as to whether you think it's worth the extra.
    Steeve

Neutral

Status
    Had a DSG box on my old car (DSG = S-Tronic).

It is silky smooth, and really nice, loved it.

But this time around I opted for the manual box, might sound strange but thought it used to stay not long enough time in the gears, so you really did not get the oumf, you can get with the manual box.
    Could drive around in S mode, but then again I did not want high revs all the time...

All in all, it's a personal choice, take a drive in one of each, you will quickly decide
    Using Tapatalk

2nd Gear

Status
    How do you find the performance MPG?
    Can't tell you yet as only got confirmation this morning that mine has been built and on its way to the dealers.
    Arrived - 8V A3 1.4tfsi COD S-Line Sportback S-Tronic, Daytona Grey, Audi Sound System, Interior Light Pack, Light & Rain Sensor, Alu Roof Rails, Privacy Glass, Non Smokers Pack, Deletion of model & technology.

Neutral

Status
    Got S-Tronic and will never go back to manual, neither will my wife. Order paddles if you want faster manual shifting, otherwise use the stick, which also works fine.

1st Gear

Status
    I've got manual and do miss s tronic sometimes but I've had a few courtesy cars with it and the fact it doesn't give you the gears you want when you want them annoys me. To be fair the s tronics I've had have been on a4's and 5's so might be better on s3

Neutral

Status
    => paddles!

Nick

Status
    I just had a 1.4cod A3 saloon loaner for a week and that was s-tronic and I found it better than the s-tronic in my A5. Probably because it was petrol but so smooth. I never thought I would like autos but they have come on leaps and bounds and will probably always have one now.
    Now - On the hunt for a new Audi!
    Gone - A5 Sportback S-line 3.0TDi quattro s-tronic
    Sadly gone - Ibis White S3 Sportback Black Edition
    Previous:
    '57 - Astra Sri Sport Hatch
    '95 - Celica GT4
    '54 - Astra Coupe Turbo
    '51 - Astra Sxi

Quote Originally Posted by cbotved View Post
    Had a DSG box on my old car (DSG = S-Tronic).

It is silky smooth, and really nice, loved it.

But this time around I opted for the manual box, might sound strange but thought it used to stay not long enough time in the gears, so you really did not get the oumf, you can get with the manual box.
    Could drive around in S mode, but then again I did not want high revs all the time...

All in all, it's a personal choice, take a drive in one of each, you will quickly decide
    Perhaps you should have driving it in manual mode. It would then stay in whatever gear you wanted.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

Quote Originally Posted by felsby View Post
    Got S-Tronic and will never go back to manual, neither will my wife. Order paddles if you want faster manual shifting, otherwise use the stick, which also works fine.
    The s-tronic on all A3s come with the paddles as standard. The only car I found that doesn't is Skoda Octavia where they are an option. To me the paddles are an important part of the s-tronic experience. I drive in manual mode using the paddles all the time.
    Dave R (h5djr)

6th Gear

Status
    I have manual but I think it's the only thing about my car I would change now if I were to order again.
    h5djr likes this.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

5th Gear

Status
    I have stronic on my new S3 and although it's basically the same box as the DSG from the early to mid 2000's, they have tweaked and refined it to the point where it is truly brilliant now.

We have a 2005 golf gti dsg and the s3 box is soooo much better in all respects.

We did test drive the manual before opting for stronic but although we liked the manual (my wife prefers manual) for my regular stop start commute the stronic is perfect.

A few key things swung it for us;

Ease of town driving
    Paddles make it great to hustle down a backroad
    More noise from the exhaust on up shift and lovely rev matching on downshifts
    Adaptive cruise control works down to zero and means the car starts/stops itself when in very slow, queuing traffic
    h5djr likes this.
    Build Week 1: Panther Black S3 SB S-Tronic, black nappa, anthracite alloys, comfort pack with adaptive cruise and parking plus, active lane assist, adaptive xenons with variable range control and auto high beam, technology package HIGH with connect, B&O, tyre pressure warning, fold/dim/dip/heat mirrors, reversible boot liner, extended mono pur interior, privacy glass, hill hold assist, LED interior light pack, electric lumber support.

2nd Gear

Status
    The pictures says it all:

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Last edited by Battlekrapz; 12th March 2014 at 15:54.
    driver_tim likes this.
    # Currently enjoying my Audi S3 8V Sportback in Estoril blue #

Status
    That is a handsome stick!

2nd Gear

Status
    Thanks Warren, it's lovely for sporty shifts .

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Battlekrapz View Post
    The pictures says it all:

image.jpg
    image.jpg

Haha, little bug with posting pix with iphone
    Any excuse to share your new knob!
    S3 Saloon S-Tronic. Panther Black. Tech Pack, Super-sports seats, LED Lights, Comfort pack with Adaptive Cruise and parking plus, Folding mirrors, Bang and Olufsen Sound System, Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy glass, Tyre sensor, Boot Mat (Countdown Thread)

Previously 2.0TSi VW Scirocco

Status
    Almost looks a bit R8-ish

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Joetidman View Post
    Any excuse to share your new knob!
    Yes indeed, i love my shiny new knob.
    Joetidman likes this.

Reverse Gear

Status
    doesn't look like that in a standard A3 though does it ;-)

1st Gear

Status
    When I first had an double clutch box I hated it. That was in the mk1 R32 golf I ordered before they even hit the showrooms. That was the first production car I believe to get a double clutch gearbox. After a few months I did come to love it. Hence, all the cars I have had since that date have been so equipped. However, it's not perfect. You can't have full manual control and the bloody kick down is really annoying. So, disable the kick down? Easy to do, just shove a small piece of plastic card down below and that's sorted. Or you can train yourself not to push the pedal onto the switch when you floor it - not so easy to do, but I did master that in the end. The only fix to 'nanny' who interferes is to remap the gearbox software - which I had on my TTRS, courtesy of AMD. The best couple of hundred quid I ever spent on that car and I'll be taking my new S3 down to them the day it's delivered to have the same done again. I do miss the connection that manual box gives you, but every time I do drive a manual now I start to quickly think, in this day and age, changing gear manually with a stick and a clutch pedal... oh and double clutch gearboxes mean your car is a lot faster of course. I'd never go back to a manual.
    S3 Misano Red | s tronic | super sport seats | black styling pack|10 spoke matt titanium alloys | privacy glass|technology pack high with mobile | audi sound system | through load | light & rain sensor pack | rear parking sensors | electric folding mirrors | tyre pressure monitoring | non smoking pack | registered 06/06/2014

Banned

Status
    Have now done over 700 miles in our new S3 and just loving the manual gearbox.. no faffing around with flappy paddle stuff. My view for what it's worth is that a small car like an A/S3 thrives on having 'proper gears' and 3 pedals.. it's what driving is about IMHO!

Reverse Gear

Status
    In Finland we prefer more manuals and not so much autoboxes like DSG or S-tronic. I had 2012 Polo GTi DSG, but that was not so fun to drive, so now I ordered S3 Sedan Sepang and manual. Like other Finns we like rally and it means manual gearbox and nice roads. So MANual and I drove S3 SP s-tronic throughout the last weekend and it was very ice roads .... I missed the manual, when you use the manual then you can say you drove the car (sorry bad english) but when you have automatic you are more the passenger. But I have to say I have driven cars over 35 years and owned many sportcars, so manual.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PilotAudi View Post
    Have now done over 700 miles in our new S3 and just loving the manual gearbox.. no faffing around with flappy paddle stuff. My view for what it's worth is that a small car like an A/S3 thrives on having 'proper gears' and 3 pedals.. it's what driving is about IMHO!
    need to agree, the A6 suited S-tronic but so glad i went manual with the S3

1st Gear

Status
    Manual for me too - drove both, preferred manual.
    Arrived: MY14 S3 Sportback (Ordered 4th Jan, build week 12 (was 13), collected 23rd April), Manual, Monsoon Grey, Black Alcantara, LED Headlights, Interior Light Pack, Comfort Pack, Audi Sound System, ACC, Parking System Plus, Tech Pack, Electronic Folding & Heated Mirrors, Through Load

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    The s-tronic on all A3s come with the paddles as standard.
    In UK apparently. Lucky for you!

6th Gear

Status
    It's worth pointing out that the s-tronic is not an auto box. It's more accurately described as a computer-controlled manual box!
    45bvtc likes this.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PilotAudi View Post
    Until you miss one of your 'proper gears' and rev the s**t out of your engine whilst you have to view the rear of the S-tronic way ahead of you
    2014 - S3 3dr S-tronic, Glacier White, Black styling pack, Advanced key, Super sports seats, LED headlights, Interior lighting package, B&O system, Tech pack, Comfort pack, reversing camera, Cruise control, Light and rain sensor, Parking system plus, Privacy Glass.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Who miss a gear when you are driving??? If you miss a gear then you should have that s-tronic. S-tronis is nice but there is a big question .. which of these two is the car to be driven?? I like to drive the car not just sit and step on the gas. I just ask why so many of these car magazine/car tester says after they have driven S3 s-tronic that they prefer more manual .. because they are professionals and know what is fun to drive, think about that. Are they right or not? And they even says that it is a pity that so many sportcars in these days is "automatic"/dsg/s-tronic and you do not get them with manual anymore ..
    PilotAudi likes this.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast