t
Which is the better option?

AUDI A3 2.0 TDI 150ps Sport diesel sportback
or
VW Golf GTD 5dr 2.0TDI 184ps

Purchasing on personal lease finance,
The audi will cost me total of £7134 over 2 yrs
and the golf is costing slightly more at £7308 over 2yrs

Both cars will be in their standard forms i.e no additional options.

So which is the better car in standard form?

If you're just looking for value for money then the Golf wins, as the GTD spec has much better equipment as standard when compared to an A3 Sport.

However, if you want the Audi badge and, in my opinion, a better looking car - go for the A3.

Nicer interior and better infotainment system in the Audi IMO as well. Only you know what your priorities are though, or what you are or aren't bothered about!

Currently drive a A4 Saloon 2.0TFSI S-line Quattro B7 model, so I am needing to downsize due to finances.

car is Used mainly for the 40 mile round trip daily to and from work.

How does the 150 compare to the 184 engine?

I've not driven both, but I find the 150 engine great - plenty of power, more than enough to overtake most of the time. I probably would have gone for the 184 had it been available at the time, but it wasn't and the extra wait wasn't worth it for me.

Which is the better option?

AUDI A3 2.0 TDI 150ps Sport diesel sportback
or
VW Golf GTD 5dr 2.0TDI 184ps

Purchasing on personal lease finance,
The audi will cost me total of £7134 over 2 yrs
and the golf is costing slightly more at £7308 over 2yrs

Both cars will be in their standard forms i.e no additional options.

So which is the better car in standard form?

Why not compare them with the same 184PS engine?
I came from a GTi but when the time came to replace it I found that the A3 was such a nicer place to sit than the Golf. That was pretty much the only reason for switching, along with availability of B&O stereo.

Having picked up a 184PS A3 on Friday I have to say the engine is a real cracker! Pulls from around 1700rpm and is so refined you'd be forgiven for thinking it's a petrol. It makes for effortless overtaking. As for the A3 itself, oh what a real class act!! A quality piece of engineering if ever I saw one!

Reactions: steeve and cemerson
Why not compare them with the same 184PS engine?.

For some reason the finance company are pricing the a3 tdi 184 model at over 2.3k higher over the 2 years hence I am looking at the 2 comparables in prices.

I've been an Audi customer for the last 10 yrs and love the interiors....so I am just wondering if theres anything Im missing by not going for the GTD.

Id go for the Golf. Much nicer looking car IMO, can take the 5 doors without the stretched out look of the sportback.

Go for the golf,I cancelled my s3 sportback order and have gone for a golf r,yes the audi has a better interior but the options are pricey and although the s3 came with leather as standard it took £2100 of options to spec it like the r,but the main reason is the r has steering feeling and it doesn't understeer like a vectra! Even though it shares nearly all the s3 parts,weird.

Go for the golf,I cancelled my s3 sportback order and have gone for a golf r,yes the audi has a better interior but the options are pricey and although the s3 came with leather as standard it took £2100 of options to spec it like the r,but the main reason is the r has steering feeling and it doesn't understeer like a vectra! Even though it shares nearly all the s3 parts,weird.

My mate has just ordered a Golf R - he asked me to jump straight from my S3 and test the R back to back. I found the steering in the golf slightly worse than the S3 in dynamic mode. As for the way it handle it was damned near identical. If I didn't look down at the golf's cheaper looking dash I would have struggled to tell the difference! Still a great car though.

My mate has just ordered a Golf R - he asked me to jump straight from my S3 and test the R back to back. I found the steering in the golf slightly worse than the S3 in dynamic mode. As for the way it handle it was damned near identical. If I didn't look down at the golf's cheaper looking dash I would have struggled to tell the difference! Still a great car though.
Thinking about it it was probably down to the tyres that made the golf feel better on my test drive anyway,the golf had Bridgestone's on and I think the s3 had conti's

For some reason the finance company are pricing the a3 tdi 184 model at over 2.3k higher over the 2 years hence I am looking at the 2 comparables in prices.

I've been an Audi customer for the last 10 yrs and love the interiors....so I am just wondering if theres anything Im missing by not going for the GTD.

In that case definitely go for the Golf. More bang for your buck and the Golf is generally more highly rated anyway.

I'd probably say the GTD. It's a smart looking car and comes with a lot of equipment that is optional on the A3 including:

* Elec folding mirrors
* Auto Lights, Wipers, Coming home / leaving home lighting, Adaptive Cruise
* Xenon Headlights
* Tinted windows (B-pillar back)
* 18' Alloy Wheels
* Tyre pressure monitoring

Quality-wise, the A3 is certainly better (no doubt) but for max bang for your buck, it'd have to be the Golf.

On those two? I'd go for the Golf, the engine would make the difference for me.

If those are the twop options and you're OK with the Golf interior, then the Golf, no question.

Currently drive a A4 Saloon 2.0TFSI S-line Quattro B7 model, so I am needing to downsize due to finances.
The A3 Saloon 150ps would be similar in style to your current car. It is the best looking in my opinion.

The Golf is a bigger car if you need the size.

If money is such a factor - then have a looked at a Golf GT 150ps. Surely that will save even more money.

I have the old GTD. Would not buy another one unless they have made it more comfortable - with the move to 18 inch tyres - I doubt that.

Or....if 2 seats are sufficient and you can stretch your budget a little bit, for £300 p/m + £900 initially you can get an SLK 250 CDI roadster...?

Or....if 2 seats are sufficient and you can stretch your budget a little bit, for £300 p/m + £900 initially you can get an SLK 250 CDI roadster...?

Why would anyone want M-B rubbish rather than an Audi??

Last edited: