Handbrake problem

grantDUBshaw

Reaction score
So... My car has been with audi since last Wednesday now as the handbrake has a fault being ...

When parking up, with foot down on the clutch and brake, keeping them both pressed, flick on the handbrake as normal, release the footbrake and then take your foot off the clutch completely (in neutral). If you handbrake releases then you have the same fault as myself which my dealership is in conversation with audi UK and they are currently trying to find a fix for this still as they have tried everything.

My satnav also says I'm in the middle of a field which requires a new Ariel which isn't here till 5-10 days.

As they can't provide me with a courtesy car from themselves any longer as they need the nice A5 sportback they leant me back.. They offered to hire me a car from europcar until both problems were fixed which with the handbrake being an issue .. Waiting for a fix could take a week, or could take a few months. On that note I told them I want my own car back and I want them to book a date for my car to be rebooked in which is next thursday to have the Ariel fitted but I wasn't going to let my car sit at the dealership to waste away!

I picked it up just - the a5 was sh*t on fuel and my car was gleaming when I got there ! Hopefully there will be a fix soon to cure this handbrake.

As I know what triggers the handbrake to release on it's own I can counteract this (although I shouldn't have to) but nothing better than driving your own car! Let's hope this gets resolved very soon.

That sounds like it had potential to be scary! Imagine what would have happened if you didn't notice it doing that while parked on a hill :/

Hope they get it sorted soon for you mate. Sounds like they are looking after you fairly well

That's the place I did find out dude, on a hill waiting at a very busy set of lights with 3 lanes, if it wasn't for the mrs that said we were rolling backwards, I probly would of ended up into the car behind me. Very lucky but I understand what makes it release so I just had to release the clutch first before I release the footbrake and ensure the handbrake light is on :)

And yes they treat me well, I think it's the fact they know the family quite well, dad had an a5 sportback and mom has a a3 convertible so if they didn't they would lose a lot of custom. To say they would hire me a car until the handbrake fault was fixed I was very happy with but I wouldn't much rather be driving my own car !

The post was to make people aware there is an issue with some cars so you could pre test yourself incase it happens :)
Hope there's a fix soon! Thanks pal

Reactions: Dylock
I find on mine (and others have said the same) that if you make all the actions to move away but don't put it in gear, it'll release as well, which is worrying too.

I find on mine (and others have said the same) that if you make all the actions to move away but don't put it in gear, it'll release as well, which is worrying too.

I wonder if that's part of the same problem then?

Makes me a little happy I have stronic with park on it! I would be constantly worrying all the time. (I'm one of those people that checks things about 100 times)

I don't think the handbrake is going to suddenly come off without any interaction, and I've never had the problem described because hold assist means I'm never putting the handbrake on anyway. Hopefully Audi will fix them in a future software update.

Atleast audi are aware of the problems with electric handbrake and hopefully rectify this problem !

Sandra .. Maybe you could sticky this?

This is a software issue . My car is now cured from this fault. Audi were contacted regarding the problem I was having.. Took Audi a few weeks but they eventually bought out a software update which fixed this problem so to anyone who is having the problem.. Return to audi dealership and ask them about the software update. It was released on Friday 28th March :)

Hope this helps.

Reactions: h5djr
Sandra .. Maybe you could sticky this?

This is a software issue . My car is now cured from this fault. Audi were contacted regarding the problem I was having.. Took Audi a few weeks but they eventually bought out a software update which fixed this problem so to anyone who is having the problem.. Return to audi dealership and ask them about the software update. It was released on Friday 28th March :)

Hope this helps.

Hopefully my dealer will do this before I collect my car as it was built on 18 March but it will worth me asking.

How do they do the update?? Is it via computer or manual by a mechanic?

Think I may contact the dealer and ask about it - I certainly have a problem with the handbrake where if you make all the actions to pull away without actually putting it in gear, it releases itself... does the update solve that issue?

I assume the mechanic does it via a computer?.. And yes that is what the software update does resolve. It happened to me if I did that sequence without gear engaged but does not happen anymore.

How do they do the update?? Is it via computer or manual by a mechanic?

When I was talking to one of the Audi Master Techs at my dealers the other day, he said that a lot of the software changes with the 8V are now done by connecting the car to kit in their workshop which then updates the software, using the internet, directly from Audi in Germany.

Yeh, everything that is done to your car is logged on the computers at Audi Germany so they know what updates etc have been done. Even option changes are done this way too.

I've just contacted my dealer about this update, will see what they say.

Yeh, everything that is done to your car is logged on the computers at Audi Germany so they know what updates etc have been done. Even option changes are done this way too.

I've just contacted my dealer about this update, will see what they say.

When I mentioned this in another thread the other day we wondered what would happen to any changes to a particular module made using VCDS. Would Audi Germany see these and would their system undo them. I think they may well do so for any changes to the ECU which is possibly why tuners have not come up with any re-maps for the 8V. The two companies MTM and ABT in Germany carry out their 'remaps' by totally changing the ECU rather than remapping the existing one.

I was wondering the same, and if I'd need to redo any VCDS mods after every service or something

Well, car is booked in on Monday to have the update done

When I was talking to one of the Audi Master Techs at my dealers the other day, he said that a lot of the software changes with the 8V are now done by connecting the car to kit in their workshop which then updates the software, using the internet, directly from Audi in Germany.

Its the same for most cars, my 2008 Ford used to do this when updating the software. The process can take over an hour...

They wanted to keep mine overnight for testing too... so have a courtesy car for the day

It definitely solves the issue guys.. Have to let us know cemerson what car you have :) I had an a5 s-line sportback while they were diagnosing the fault and then an audi a4 black edition when the update was released and they were putting it onto my car!

I'll let you know... they've given me pretty dull A4s the previous times I've had cars there. I didn't like them at all compared to my A3!