Rejecting an S3

weymouthfox

Reaction score
Hi,

I went to collect my brand new S3, 3 door, S-Tronic in Panther Black yesterday and while at the showroom I noticed a fairly long paint defect in the rear quarter panel and 2 stone chips on the bonnet.

I ordered a really high spec S3 including B&O, Adaptive cruise, lane assist, Advanced key, Super Sports seats etc and lots more, basically fully specced except sunroof.

I feel that the car should be perfect and therefore I walked away from it.

I had already paid my £2500 finance deposit and signed paperwork a few days before but the car was in their compound at that point and was dirty so couldn't really see it properly.

The worst part is I arranged for a paint protection company to meet me at the dealer to install 3M film over front bumper, bonnet, lights and skirts etc.
They had already cut out the templates so I had no choice to pay them the £750 fee even though I had to walk away from the car.

I also emailed and spoke to dealer telling them that the car had to be 100% mint and that I didn't want any scratches etc from Valet guys as I was having the film installed.

I would have expected one of their team to have noticed these defects when polishing/ buffing the car and notified me especially knowing that I had a company coming in to protect the paint work.

I never drove car out of showroom and never signed collection forms or whatever you sign when picking up new car, I just grumbled at them and left the car in showroom.

The dealer were pushing me to let them re spray it but my point to them was that I shouldn't be paying 42k for a car that needs the rear quarter panel and bonnet spraying.
To re spray rear quarter you have to remove interior trim, cut out rear window etc, it won't feel like a new car to me having undergone all this work.

The dealer then offered me £500 off car which I thought was not enough, I just wanted an immaculate S3 which I ordered.

Any advice?

Many thanks:)

Get onto audi uk about it, bypass the dealers and go direct. What is the best case scenario for you? If you want a new car I'm guessing you'd have to wait again.

Really sorry to hear that, especially after such a long waiting period! I assume by 'paint defect' you believe it has been there since the factory, rather than being damaged in transit? Pretty poor that the factory QC and the dealership all missed it!

I'm not sure what to suggest, other than if you still want the S3, getting them to priority order you a replacement (I think I read somewhere this is possible in this situation), and to lend you something nice in the meantime. That's still going to take a few months though, and if it was me I'm not sure I'd want to be waiting even longer. I guess the only other thing you can look at is whether the dealer group (or Audi UK) have any demo stock coming in that you could have. Probably won't be the exact spec you've ordered, but they may be able to make up for that financially.

They won't want to do any of these though, so it may be a case of having to get Audi UK involved. People seem to suggest that in these situations the dealership aren't prepared to do much until Audi give them some encouragement

If I'm honest, something like this happening is the one thing that worries me about ordering a new car. I'm sure it's very rare, but the thought it always there at the back of your mind

Only thing I can say is good on you for doing this, first time i saw my S3 … swirls all over the place … it was horrifying and whilst i couldn't believe my eyes they were all proud to show me my car. I can admit that I didn't have the balls of doing what you did, and that is why i say good on you for doing so.

I don't think you will be happy with the car, although it could be done without you being able to tell, but why should you take the risk.
I'd reject it and stand firm, i've done it before when a dealer tried to pass me a Golf that had multiple panels re-sprayed.
I just stood with a VW inspector and said if you can show me a new Golf on the premises in this condition I accept it, if not I want a new one, I got a new one.

The other point is you may not be spotting what else is wrong, I just noticed swirls on mine when headlights were on it, I took it to a local body shop and from miles away the guy said those panels are different colours... I couldn't tell all looked the same to me...
The guy did me a letter for VW and showed me everything to show him......The body shop manager was shellshocked when we were stood with the VW rep as I made him look a right tosser.....

Last edited:
I think you definitely did the right thing. Good for you. If you pay for a new car it should be 100%. Shame on them. Get onto audi uk.

That must be extremely disappointing for you. You did the right thing by rejecting the car, hard though that is to do. It makes you wonder what dealers think of their customers that they think it's ok to deliver a new car with paint defects, and doesn't say much for Audi's factory quality control. It's unacceptable for any new car to be delivered in less than perfect condition, and much more so when buying what is supposed to be a premium brand. It's not a Dacia after all. Did you take photos of the defects for use in dealing with the dealer and Audi?

Rexus, I think it was probably caused by the dealer test driving the car before customer handover, i seriously don't think it came out of the factory looking like that.

Reactions: felsby
Well, the stone chips probably were, but the rear quarter panel defect sounds like a factory paint problem. I picked up my new Saloon last weekend and yesterday noticed a couple of small marks on the bonnet that I thought at first were stone chips but on closer inspection they are two tiny bits of debris under the paint.

Brave, brave thing to do. I think people let the excitement of the day take over and miss certain defects. Always difficult to get stuff sorted once you have left the dealer as I found out with my current A1 with a paint defect.

Let's be honest - a respray of a bonnet and rear quarter will probably never be right and potentially if it's a terrible job noticeable every time you look at the car.

I think Audi UK / dealer would struggle not to justify a replacement vehicle as you have not accepted it. May take some time to get a new one but it is possible for orders to be "queue jumped" as this has happened with a friends SQ5 which had a few options missing. 8 weeks wait instead of 20. So it is possible and they did provide a A3 while he waited.

Well, the stone chips probably were, but the rear quarter panel defect sounds like a factory paint problem. I picked up my new Saloon last weekend and yesterday noticed a couple of small marks on the bonnet that I thought at first were stone chips but on closer inspection they are two tiny bits of debris under the paint.

Fair enough ;)

Fair play to you buddy for doing that. Forking out that many notes for a brand new s3 there is no other condition it should be other than 100% perfect. The way I see this situation, there really was only one choice any self respecting person could have made, and you made it! I feel gutted for you though as I am sure you were feeling like a kid at Christmas going to pick that bad boy up.

I'd be contacting audi uk and demanding a replacement ASAP and in the meantime ask for a courtesy car

20140307 154601

Reactions: EC73LDN
Thanks for all your support.
It's not massive but is longer than what you can see in the pics and I feel it's a shame considering I paid extra for such a beautiful colour.
You can't even polish it out as its under the gloss and is quite bumpy.
The two stone chips on bonnet were the final straw for me.

I don't blame you for rejecting that, it's an obvious paint flaw. How did that get out of the factory, outrageous!

So so disappointing after a long wait but you made the right decision and I hope it is resolved to your satisfaction good luck.

Reactions: Rexus
Not good, especially from a premium brand. I think you did exactly the right thing. I'd push for a new factory order plus a decent quality loan vehicle whilst you wait.

Reactions: Rexus
Really sorry to hear that! I've had similar issues (used 8P A3 and new 8V S3) and while frustrating, you have a couple of options if you still want that particular car:

- Agree to a re-spray, or
- Request new rear quarter panel and bonnet

Either way, be clear that you maintain the right to refuse the car if not fixed to your complete satisfaction. When collecting, take an independent professional (detailers who carry out paintwork correction generally have a good eye for these things) with you and have Audi cover their costs regardless of whether you accept the car or not.

Alternatively wait for a new car...but there is no guarantee everything will be in order the second time round.

At a minimum, compensation should include courtesy car, any costs you've incurred due to delay, and additional discount or free servicing etc.

In my opinion, which way you choose to go here should depend largely on your relationship with the dealer. Are they going out of their way to be helpful? Apologetic? Proactive? Paint defects happen. The stone chips are a little more concerning...has the car been used for test drives?!

I accepted both cars after similar incidents (re-spray and new parts on both). Kept the first for over four years, and have the second for four months now. If fixed to your satisfaction, you'll likely forget about the whole sorry episode within a couple of hours in your new car. S3s have that effect...trust me!!

Would a wet sand not sort this out? Paid for by the dealer obviously? Check kds detailing website

Would a wet sand not sort this out? Paid for by the dealer obviously? Check kds detailing website

No, I have used detailers before and I had a paint protection company with me when I noticed it.
It's actually well under the paint plus I had 2 stone chips on the bonnet.
Thanks though.

Would ask for a respray and some money back, at the end it's just a car and you will have bought it cheaper ...

Mine has 8000 miles and I already have more than 5 stone chips on the bonnet, it ****** me off but as I said, it's a car, it will get chips, scratches and else eventually.

Out of interest, if the dealer turns round and says its all within accepted limits, can they deny you the right to reject?

I ask as I would certainly reject a car for an engine or gearbox issue but cosmetic issues might be harder to use as grounds for rejection.

I bet that at least 10% of all cars have remedial work done before collection; I'm just surprised they didn't respray it before you collected it!

Sounds just like my experience however I had mine delivered and accepted it. I don't suppose you purchased from Yoevil Audi? I tried Audi UK but it wasn't until a couple of weeks down the line that I noticed the defects - they weren't interested in the slightest...

Out of interest, if the dealer turns round and says its all within accepted limits, can they deny you the right to reject?

I ask as I would certainly reject a car for an engine or gearbox issue but cosmetic issues might be harder to use as grounds for rejection.

I bet that at least 10% of all cars have remedial work done before collection; I'm just surprised they didn't respray it before you collected it!

According to an article which someone posted the other day for VAG it's only 1.5%.

Reactions: warren_S5
Reject reject!!!! My last 8P was delivered with badly damaged windscreen and a chipped sunroof (which dealer hoped I wouldn't notice). I was cajoled into accepting the car with the damage and getting it rectified after... To cut a long story short, the repair was poorly carried out and caused more damage. After three weeks fighting with the dealer I escalated it to the dealer group principle and Audi UK customer services and I got a full refund. The whole experience was awful and I wish I had rejected the car at the outset instead of agreeing to the repair. Even though I have waited TWO YEARS to finally get a new 8V to replace it, it was definitely worth it...

It amazes me that the dealer still tried to pass this car on to you. Surely they knew about the paint defects and chips.

Pretty dodgy for them to still have you come and collect it.

A story like this scares me as both my wife and I are due to collect new cars at the end of April. I cannot imagine how I would react to this. I'd like to think that I would have the nerve to walk away.

That is comforting... I'm sure the vast majority are delivered in perfect condition. It just makes me very nervous having been through the whole unpleasant damage/reject battle. Call from the dealer to say my car is ready is coming any day now... The level of excitement/nervousness is rising fast!...

I thought you have to give them 3 chances to rectify it before you can reject a car? Not sure though.

I think OCD tendancies run quite high on here from everything I've read, me included. Even though you know it's gonna be spotless there is always a tiny bit of doubt in the back of your mind.

Its not a man thing for sure and many of us think we are either borderline OCD, or OCD, even when we aren't. I work at a school that has OCD kids and unfortunately diagnosing OCD is full of myths. If you actually had OCD you wouldn't necessarily really know it as some of the behaviour will appear quite normal to you, even though to those observing your behaviour you would appear to be behaving quite odd. Understanding Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) | OCD-UK Being particular on how you wash you car is not OCD...

Reactions: warren_S5 and w.h.i.p.p.e.t
Yeh, OCD is a term often abused to mean people who are actually just particular about certain things, or just thrown around when someone is being thorough

Reactions: w.h.i.p.p.e.t
One of my mates has to turn every jar and can in his kitchen cupboard the right way round so the labels face outwards.
All his toiletries in his bathroom has to be in height order
All his shirts are organised by colour on his hangers, and face the same direction
He cannot bear to have his cutlery on his plate touching each other
And must only have odd numbers (of items) on his dinner plate

Is this is a sign?

I rejected my new a3 twice, then got a q3 2.0 tdi Quattro s line courtesy car whilst the dealer had the car fully detailed!
At the time I had a ten year old s3 in better condition than my brand new a3 lol. P.s mine is black and the worse colour for showing any little marks.......

Sean

One of my mates has to turn every jar and can in his kitchen cupboard the right way round so the labels face outwards.
All his toiletries in his bathroom has to be in height order
All his shirts are organised by colour on his hangers, and face the same direction
He cannot bear to have his cutlery on his plate touching each other
And must only have odd numbers (of items) on his dinner plate

Is this is a sign?

Nope, I reckon he is just a pain to live with...

I think what dealers tend to forget is that they see cars day in day out and get blasé about them. To them they are just a metal box sold to a customer in exchange for money.

What they seem to have lost track of is that an A3 can now cost over £40k, so 25% of the average price of house in the UK. It's people's second biggest purchase after a house. Years ago it wouldn't have seemed feasible to pay that kind of money for a compact hatchback, but because they don't have to pay for cars themselves they don't have the empathy.

I am a right PITA when it comes to snagging car issues at dealers on pick up day, but I have to say based on some of the threads I've been reading in the last year, the quality control / quality of aftercare paint protection products seems to have taken a bit of a dive. The UK franchise dealers have marginal interest in spending time or money tidying up a new car, but maybe when a few more get rejected they'll wake up to the fact that cars need to be treated more considerately before delivery, and the two bit companies they're using to apply those half cocked lifeshine/supagard treatments need to be reviewed.

I think they send them out and work on the basis that most won't come back, and they will try and fix those that do. Easier and lazier than making sure they're all perfect isn't it!

I thought new AUDIs came fully protected during transport? Have seen a fair few car transporters with the cars fitted with full front "bras" things, leading edges of doors etc - probably weren't AUDIs. Obviously wouldn't fix a factory paint issues, but surely this would sold a lot of the issues like stonechips.