New A3 184 Ps Quattro, S Tronic, first weeks ownership and thoughts.

vegnomeat

Reaction score
Collected the car last Friday. Its on a 63 plate but wasn't a car that I had built to order. It was dealer stock which was basically standard but with the addition of SD sat nav.

I traded in an 08 XKR that I had owned for just over two years, the warranty had expired, I was averaging 20 mpg and had 8 points on my licence through speeding offences (most of them on my Ducati 1100 evo). I had previously owned a nearly new UR Quattro and when I decided on an A3 it had to have the Quattro system and also the 184 Ps engine.

I have set the individual drive select system to dynamic steering only, the engine and gearbox dynamic option holds the gears too long for me. The seats are pretty much superb and its easy to get a good comfortable driving position. the first couple of days the car was averaging 34/35 mpg but now has settled down to around 44 mpg. I have driven 900 miles this week, 600 of them on the motorway. The car is rock solid stable at all speeds and handles superbly in the wet. I did notice that the steering in any mode other than dynamic was quite wooly and needed more attention keeping the car straight on motorways etc. However, in dynamic steering mode its perfect.

I have noticed that the down change is quite slow when approaching junctions etc and pulling out quickly. I have tried this in dynamic engine and gearbox mode and it feels the same. I will have a word with the dealer next week about this as it's the only part of the car I have concerns with.

The sat nav is pretty good and the voice control works well even with my accent. I have attached an Ipod touch via cable for music and videos and have my Iphone connected via bluetooth for calls and music also. For the first time in a car I have DAB which I am loving, especially Planet Rock. I am also most impressed with the method of navigating the various options on the MMI screen, its pretty much intuative. Everything about the car says quality, the materials, the solid feel of the controls and the finish.

Performance, 184 Ps is adequate for overtaking, joining motorways etc and strikes a balance between performance and economy. It's early days yet but I'm sure it will loosen up a bit more over the next 5000 miles or so.

In summary, its a damn nice car, well built, reasonably roomy and quick enough with great handling too.

Regards

veggie

Reactions: RossR
Your report makes me look forward to mine even more. Should be early April. In the mean time at least I have an 8P Sportback 2.0TDI-170 s-tronic to keep me amused :)

My SB S line 184 quattro S tronic is due next week and I'm SO excited now... It's good to hear some first hand experience of this particular model as it will be my first S tronic (I wanted manual but Audi in their wisdom won't do one...) and I'm still a bit apprehensive about whether I'll get on with it... Too late now anyway!

hi veggie a question from me as I've only had my S3 for a day. I messed around with the drive select ( to an extent) and I cannot find a good setting for the steering only, I find most if not all of the selection the steering is very light. i know its electric assisted but I've owned many audi's in the past the last being a TTRS about a year ago and the steering was quite firm and responsive. must point out I'm no boy racer just would like the steering part to be a bit firmer ( if that makes sense).

My SB S line 184 quattro S tronic is due next week and I'm SO excited now... It's good to hear some first hand experience of this particular model as it will be my first S tronic (I wanted manual but Audi in their wisdom won't do one...) and I'm still a bit apprehensive about whether I'll get on with it... Too late now anyway!

Drive it like a manual. Use the stick and paddles and decide yourself when to change gear rather than driving it as a automatic. Great fun and just like a manual but without the need to keep pressing the clutch pedal. I had my first A3 with s-tronic back in 2004. I'm now on number four with number five on order. Have driven them as a 'clutchless' manual from day one and still enjoy it. The only time I ever use the 'auto' mode is in queueing traffic and as my new one will have ACC that should be even better.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnM100
Drive it like a manual. Use the stick and paddles and decide yourself when to change gear rather than driving it as a automatic. Great fun and just like a manual but with [JM: without] the need to keep pressing the clutch pedal.

and:

The only time I ever use the 'auto' mode is in queueing traffic and as my new one will have ACC that should be even better.

Perfect advice on how to drive S-Tronic!