Washing your car

RVP20

Reaction score
Hey everyone....so with the bad weather this week and rain, my car needs it's first clean and I was wondering how go go about it?
I don't want to put any marks on the paint by using the wrong sponge or washing it the wrong way.

Can anyone give advice on the best sponge I can buy and what shampoo to use?

Hey everyone....so with the bad weather this week and rain, my car needs it's first clean and I was wondering how go go about it?
I don't want to put any marks on the paint by using the wrong sponge or washing it the wrong way.

Can anyone give advice on the best sponge I can buy and what shampoo to use?

Never get close to your car with a sponge - it's like using a sandpaper.
Get yourself 2 buckets and a washing mitt or two- check out detailing section on this forum and detailingworld forum. I'm just learning how to clean my car properly so won't be able to recommend any specific products.

Good Washing Technique - Detailing World

Reactions: Madmiles, s3_trev and hopeless
I use one of these - Kent Q2429 2-in-1 Microfibre Noodle Wash Mitt: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

Probably not as good as a lambs wool mitt or whatever but does the job and is cheap :) I use the 2 bucket method with some shampoo in one of them, a microfibre towel, microfibre cloths, some glass cleaner and a wheel brush. I'm learning as well so don't take what I do as 'the way to do it' or anything, but I bought a load of stuff from amazon (all the stuff mentioned in fact, including the 2 buckets) for about £35, and works quite nicely. After having done it a few times now, I'd probably get a second mitt for the wheels (or get a better one and use my existing one for wheels), some wheel cleaner stuff (brake dust is a PITA!), some better microfibre cloths than the ones I got which do seem to leave a bit of fluff in places.

My procedure has evolved to this currently (This advice is very much a 'what I do' and not necessarily what should be done or best practice, I have no idea!):

1. Interior. Hoover, take out mats and give them a good beating (!), hoover under them, and clean interior glass and mirror with cloth and glass cleaner. Give dashboard a dusting too! Turn ignition on to give screen a quick dust, and to unfold the mirrors. Leave the keys in the car so you can't accidentally lock it and fold the mirrors again (applies to advanced key only really!). Put windscreen wipers to service position and fold them out.
2. Wheels. Start with a pressure washer on the wheels to get rid of most of it, then use the wheel brush to clean as much as I can. Don't use the mitt at this point.
3. Wash. Fill up the buckets at this point, put shampoo in one of them. Start with the pressure washer to remove as much loose dirt as you can, then wash with the mitt from the roof down (starting at the top was a lesson learned early...). Once I've done the roof I generally just spiral around the car working my way down - windows next and under the spoiler, then bonnet, doors, rear, doors other side, front grill. Leave the side sills till last because they get filthy and will make the mitt dirty quickly! Regular rinsing of the mitt using the '2 bucket method'.
4. Wheels again, with mitt, just to try and get a bit more filth off. Left till last so you don't use a mitt with brake dust on any other part of the car.
5. Rinse all the soap off with the pressure washer, starting at top again!
6. Dry everything with microfibre towel - you guessed it, starting at the top.
7. Use glass cleaner and microfibre cloth on the windows, wing mirrors, headlights & fog lights. Also good to use the cloths to catch any bits not quite dried properly with the towel / bits you missed with it.

Everything I've got (mitt, cloths, towels) is machine washable as well so I just bung everything in the washing machine at 40 then let them air dry ready for next time.

Here's the full list of what I got:

Kent G612 14.5L Builders Bucket - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike (x2 obviously)
Sakura 5L Car Shampoo - Mighty Green: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike
Kent Q6100 Extra Large Microfibre Drying Towel: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike
Microfibre Cloths - Pack of 10 Cloths - Large 40cm x 40cm - Blue - Great for Cleaning Cars, Boats, Kitchens etc.: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike
Nilco SVTN1GC 1L H3 Nilglass: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike
Muc-Off Wheel & Component Brush: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

Last edited:
Reactions: coolguy, misthills and Migwire
Don't laugh, but several members of the TT Owners Club and TT Forum swear by Johnson's Baby Bath, as a bodywork shampoo.

Naturally, this is pooh-poohed by the Meguiars Fanboys, but what's not to like about it ;)

ph- Neutral, good suds, excellent lubricity, and it seems to work just as well as other expensive car shampoos ;) Given how sensitive babies skin is, you can have confidence that it's not got harsh detergents in. LSP safe too.

My 2p would be to use a pre-wash like snowfoam (need a pressure washer with foaming lance) or citrus pre-wash, when I do this, my wash mitt stays very clean (still 2 bucket wash), if I'm lazy and omit the pre-wash, the wash mitt is full of dirt, bugs, crap etc.

For me, using snowfoam means less touching time with the lambswool mitt, so less swirl inflicted damage.

The thing that makes the difference for me is a polymer sealant (eg: Menzerna Power Lock) at the end. Keeps the car looking acceptably clean for months, dirt finds it very hard to stick to the surface once this is applied.

Edit: Have a look at this thread for a nice RS3 detail !
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/detailing/183774-kowalski-details-v-ibis-white-rs3.html

Last edited:
Also have a look in the General Discussion / Detailing forum on here. (TapaTalk won't let me post link -sorry).

Here?

800px Twin Peaks Round Rock Bikini Car Wash   Flickr   MarkScottAustinTX 8

Reactions: StefRobinson and veeeight
Close enough!

Though don't know what sort of forum you were browsing to find that.....;-)

Reactions: Joetidman
Just good old google. Amazing what comes up when you just type car wash in the search.

The annoying thing is I can't quite see the brand of wash mitt and sponge they are using

Don't laugh, but several members of the TT Owners Club and TT Forum swear by Johnson's Baby Bath, as a bodywork shampoo.

Naturally, this is pooh-poohed by the Meguiars Fanboys, but what's not to like about it ;)

ph- Neutral, good suds, excellent lubricity, and it seems to work just as well as other expensive car shampoos ;) Given how sensitive babies skin is, you can have confidence that it's not got harsh detergents in. LSP safe too.

My 2p would be to use a pre-wash like snowfoam (need a pressure washer with foaming lance) or citrus pre-wash, when I do this, my wash mitt stays very clean (still 2 bucket wash), if I'm lazy and omit the pre-wash, the wash mitt is full of dirt, bugs, crap etc.

For me, using snowfoam means less touching time with the lambswool mitt, so less swirl inflicted damage.

The thing that makes the difference for me is a polymer sealant (eg: Menzerna Power Lock) at the end. Keeps the car looking acceptably clean for months, dirt finds it very hard to stick to the surface once this is applied.

Edit: Have a look at this thread for a nice RS3 detail !
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/detailing/183774-kowalski-details-v-ibis-white-rs3.html

Snow foam is something I was going to look at as a next addition to my 'routine', so may well do that. Interesting about the sealant as well, will have to take a look at that too!

Reactions: veeeight
From Halfords? Not a lot.

There are many sites selling proper car cleaning and detailing materials. We Are Detailing - Car Wax, Car Polish, Auto Detailing Supplies, Car Polishers & Car Accessories Store
Car Care, Car Covers
Are just two of the many.

First off get your self a good quality wash mitt, merino wool mitts are best. A sponge will only ever pick up dirt and then you carry on rubbing it around the surface of your paint causing the dreaded swirls.

Two buckets, preferably with grit guard are a necessity if your interested in doing a proper job.
Car Washing & Drying using 2 Bucket Method - Car Care Products - YouTube or just put two bucket method into youtube.

Rinse as much dirt off the car as possible before starting. Snow foam is a good way of doing this or use a pressure washer (with care)

Using your two buckets only use a wax safe shampoo. Temptation is to always put a bit extra shampoo in the water, resist this and in fact use a little less than suggested. This will help maintain the wax on your car. Cheap shampoos can strip all the lovingly applied wax (note never use a polish) in just two washes.

After cleaning thoroughly rinse off the shampoo with clean water.

Then rinse the car with filtered water. The Race Glaze filters are ideal and last quite some time, they also have the ability to be rechargeable. Refillable 0ppm Water Filter (7 litre) RG-Filter-7L

Then using a drying cloth rather than a leather to dry the car starting at the top and working down. If you drop the mitt or drying cloth on the floor, don't use it again until its been washed.

Personally I then get all the water out of the nooks and crannies using a low pressure air hose. Then dry again.

I'm not going to go into waxing or glazing. That's another storey and there are many fabulous waxes out there from any number of suppliers. Right up to the £8,320 Zymol Royale Glaze.

So what can you recommend to buy from halfords?
A cheap bike, winder wipers, air fresheners, large tool bag, bucket, hose, pressure washer, dodgy car stereo, light bulbs, washer fluid, hairy steering wheel cover, license plate keyring, car seat, motor oil, car stereo speakers, caravan wash, authentic original leather chamois, teddy bear, puncher repair kit, air compressor, socket set, screw drivers, tool cabinet, coolant fluid, sat nav, car battery, lubricants, vacuum cleaner, tow rope, petrol can, high vis jacket, high quality wheel trims, spark plugs, tape, glue, horn, fuel caps, body filler, roof rack, gift vouchers or... maybe some overalls?

Reactions: immo, kanecullen89 and steeve
A cheap bike, winder wipers, air fresheners, large tool bag, bucket, hose, pressure washer, dodgy car stereo, light bulbs, washer fluid, hairy steering wheel cover, license plate keyring, car seat, motor oil, car stereo speakers, caravan wash, authentic original leather chamois, teddy bear, puncher repair kit, air compressor, socket set, screw drivers, tool cabinet, coolant fluid, sat nav, car battery, lubricants, vacuum cleaner, tow rope, petrol can, high vis jacket, high quality wheel trims, spark plugs, tape, glue, horn, fuel caps, body filler, roof rack, gift vouchers or... maybe some overalls?

Apart from the above, anything good for cleaning my car tomorrow? Or where else can I buy good stuff today ready for the morning?

Halfords would be fine, you can get Autoglym and Meguiar's products there and they'll do fine. Just ensure you pre-wash (snow foam or pre-wash stuff), use a decent cleaning mitt and rinse with clean water between applications. Small surface swirls can be covered up by wax but generally you'll want to avoid using mitts and cloths you've dropped on the floor.

If you've not had your paintwork treated already then I would consider getting a detailer to protect your car. These will be suitable for about 6months providing you use a decent shampoo. Also stick around and chat to them too to pick up tips and tricks and to see how they go about it. Well worth getting the protection as it also makes cleaning your car easier with the base wax or sealant.

I currently have the Meguiar's gold shampoo and it seems okay, they do sell wash mitts (try and get a lambswool one if possible). As has been mentioned many times a good citrus pre-wash spray or snow foam is always recommended. Plus get a good microfibre drying cloth.

If you are looking on to waxing/sealing the car you would need to completely rid any contaminants. A good way of doing this is by using a clay bar before waxing. If you want to go down this route I would speak with Mark @ Brotek (forum sponsor) he will be able to answer any questions and recommend products.

Reactions: Shiz94
Halfords do sell mitts. Meguiars shampoo should be fine.

They also do this, for a prewash:
Halfords | Demon Shine Demon Foam With Snow Foam Gun 2 Litre
Supposed to be a pretty good alternative to a pressure washer snow foam lance.

The one thing they don't sell is grit guards for buckets. You can still do a good job using the 2 bucket method though.

I've read some people suggesting a grit guard, and other places saying they are just a total gimmick. No idea which is true, but they do seem expensive for a bit of plastic!

Grit guards are expensive for what they are.

Cheap for the benefit they bring? definitely.

Same principle applies to plastic funnels being overpriced. Just a piece of moulded plastic. Personally I use a washed out old 1 litre milk container and cut it in half. That's free, and fits perfectly over a 1ltr oil bottle too.

No one component in the wash process is the holy grail, it's how they all help to reduce the risk of grit being rubbed against the surface lacquer.

Similarly there is little point using a lambswool mitt if you don't pre-rinse or pre-wash. Still better than a sponge though.

If using the one bucket method then a grit guard is near essential. Even for 2-bucket method they help but confess I only use it in one of my buckets (since one fell apart I and haven't got around to replacing it yet).

I guess it all depends how OCD people are about swirls in their paintwork.

John.

Edit: I started using Demon foam - the green one. Works ok and smells of bubblegum.

I've read some people suggesting a grit guard, and other places saying they are just a total gimmick. No idea which is true, but they do seem expensive for a bit of plastic!

It's certainly possible to do without them, and I agree they do seem overpriced. The cost should be a one off though.

Thanks for all the replies.
I'm just looking now and found car plan snow foam.....any thoughts?

And auto glym car shampoo?

Thanks

Thanks

Autobrite Magifoam or Bilt Hamber auto foam.

AG shampoo is an ok choice out of the dozens available.

Remember you need a foam lance to get the full effect of the snow foam.

And throw the chamois leather away if you have one and get a towel !

Snow foam is something I was going to look at as a next addition to my 'routine', so may well do that. Interesting about the sealant as well, will have to take a look at that too!

"Magifoam" from Autobrite is just amazing. Still stays on the car after 20 mins dwell time. And Autobrite's foam lance is very good quality too. Plus he does a discount/group buy deal on DetailingWorld.

Thanks
Don't bother with the CarPlan snow foam

Shampoo: AG Shampoo is OK, but Halfords also stock Meguiars NXT Shampoo, or any supermarket will have Johnson's Baby Bath :)

Drying towels: Asda have some really large, good thick microfibre drying towels at a reasonable price :)

Apart from the above, anything good for cleaning my car tomorrow? Or where else can I buy good stuff today ready for the morning?

Where are you based? If you're near Derby there's a brilliant company called Shop 'n' Shine, who you can collect from. Really competitive prices as well. Check out there website.

My normal routine (exterior only):

1. Spray car with Valet Pro citrus pre-wash using a 2ltr pump sprayer. Leave to dwell for 5mins and pressure wash off. This does as good a job as snow foam IMO but a lot cheaper.
2. Spray wheels with Valet Pro Bilberry wheel cleaner using a 1ltr foaming spray bottle. Leave to dwell for 5 mins, agitate with an EZ detail brush and pressure wash off.
3. Spray wheels and bodywork with Valet Pro Dragons Breath iron out spray to pull iron contaminants out (not used it yet though!)
4. Wash car with Muc Off Uber Shine shampoo using grit guard bucket and lambswool mitt. Work your way down from the roof, do the bottom part of the body last. Pressure wash off.
5. Dry with a Kent drying towel.
6. Buff up with a microfibre towel.
7. Clean windows with Muc Off glass cleaner and microfibre towel.
8. Apply Meguiars Endurance tyre gel.

If I'm detailing then add in decontamination with a clay bar, polish with AG Super Resin polish, wax with Collinite 476.

I'd happily wash cars all day if my back would allow and pays £50k+!!!!

Reactions: Joetidman
I use a somewhat different routine....

Get in the car, drive through the village to the ARC CarWash. Pay £3.00. The chaps use a pressure washers to clean off most of the dirt from the body and wheels. I then drive the car into the wash and it is taken through on a conveyor where is it is sprayed with water, washed and blown dry. I then drive home and finish off the windows, mirrors and door closures. Job Done. My wife will then clean the interior for me.

I used to wash my cars by hand but my legs and back will no longer allow me to do that. But at least my car always looks clean and being silver always looks good. So much so that my dealers always offers 'top book' for my car when I trade-in without even bothering to look at it. He has already bought six out of the seven A3s I changed so far and will be getting number seven in a few weeks time.

Can pre-washes be applied without a pressure washer? Or not as effective perhaps?

I use a somewhat different routine....

Get in the car, drive through the village to the ARC CarWash. Pay £3.00. The chaps use a pressure washers to clean off most of the dirt from the body and wheels. I then drive the car into the wash and it is taken through on a conveyor where is it is sprayed with water, washed and blown dry. I then drive home and finish off the windows, mirrors and door closures. Job Done. My wife will then clean the interior for me.

I used to wash my cars by hand but my legs and back will no longer allow me to do that. But at least my car always looks clean and being silver always looks good. So much so that my dealers always offers 'top book' for my car when I trade-in without even bothering to look at it. He has already bought six out of the seven A3s I changed so far and will be getting number seven in a few weeks time.

Car Wash!!........ That's like committing swirl suicide!!

You better stick with silver then Dave if you have to use one of those, you might just get away with it?

Good thing Dave has light colours!

Dark colours will just highlight all the swirls and scratches !!!!

edit:
PS Dave - if you are going through a conveyor car wash (sigh) with your new car - don't forget to switch OFF Hold Assist before you enter !!! It will get very interesting otherwise !!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: h5djr
Good thing Dave has light colours!

Dark colours will just highlight all the swirls and scratches !!!!

edit:
PS Dave - if you are going through a conveyor car wash (sigh) with your new car - don't forget to switch OFF Hold Assist before you enter !!! It will get very interesting otherwise !!!!

One of the reasons I now always choose Silver apart from the fact that I just happen to like Silver. I've had White, Maroon, Green, Mustard, Red, Black, Dark Grey and now Silver. I must say I do prefer Silver. The worst one to keep look nice what the Black Mk1 Golf I had many years ago. It had polished Wolfrace wheels and looked great when I had just washed it (by hand of course) but it never lasted. Now I'm a 'silver surfer' it has to be Silver.

Thanks for the comment about Hold Assist. I'm not sure I would have thought of that, and would have looked a right twit.

The guys at the car wash use some form of pre-wash spray from a pump can before the pressure washer.

If the two young ladies in the picture would like to come round and wash mine (the car that is) they can do so any time they like. Mind you I think it would take them some while to get here as, looking at the vehicle on the drive opposite, they are in the US of A.

Although my car now goes through a car wash rather than being done by hand, I do use Autoglym Super Resin Polish on the car and the alloys approximately twice a year. The Autoglym on the wheels means that the pressure washer and the car wash wheel brushes mean there is not dirt or brake dust left on them. Seems to work very well.

All this talk about car washing has made me decide to get a Kärcher pressure washer this weekend!!