Annoying intermittent rattle

Andy1608

Reaction score
So I got the 1.6TDI about 3 weeks ago and it's had an annoying intermittent rattle on idle just behind the bulk head, was only doing it intermittent but had my car booked in today at audi, been diagnosed as AC pipes rubbing together. Not sure if a clip has got weak and snapped, can't see it in a year old car with 8000 miles or maybe it's just been one of them things.
Obviously audi are picking up the bill for the damaged pipes but maybe something for people to listen out for across all models as can't see different clips been used to hold AC pipes together.

I think i have the same issue, i hear it on starting up the engine and for about 10-15 minutes after that and then it disappears. It sounds like it's coming from behind/bottom of the steering wheel.

Yeah same location as mine sounded. I'll try uploading a sound clip

I think i have the same issue, i hear it on starting up the engine and for about 10-15 minutes after that and then it disappears. It sounds like it's coming from behind/bottom of the steering wheel.

Could this one be the plastic panel covering the knee airbag and along to the headlight switch?

I have a creak/squeak from there. Pressing on the panel between the headlight switch & steering wheel stops it (until I take my hand away)

John.

Reactions: Ben Daniel Grant
Could this one be the plastic panel covering the knee airbag and along to the headlight switch?

I have a creak/squeak from there. Pressing on the panel between the headlight switch & steering wheel stops it (until I take my hand away)

John.
something worth looking at AK47.

I have a creak / rattle from the general area of the driver knee airbag too.

It's worse when it's cold.

i have found slidingmy hand under the base of the steering column, where it enters the plastic cover, and pressing down slightly where there a several plastic like fingers and a foam strip resolves the creaking for 1-2 hrs, or 4-5 days , i have tried backing off the 2 hex head bolts on either side of the plastic cover but to no avail, I think I will remove the bolts drop the cover and use some felt/foam tape where it seems to be making contact. Had it since the first trip on rough road 6 days after picking it up new, now 4 months old, the ONLY issu I have had with my car, so not complaining, just seeing if anyone else had the issue and if /how the fixed it.

John.
My S3 has this very annoying!!!