S3 drive select mode differences?

Itguy

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Has anyone noticed any real differences in fuel efficiency between the economy drive select setting and normal/individual/dynamic?

Obviously I can see that it free wheels and limits boost but just wondered if it actually makes a noticeable difference.

also, anyone really know what the difference is (in individual mode) between auto and dynamic for both the engine/gearbox and the steering?

Thanks

I guess the gearbox just changes more quickly/aggressively and the steering is lighter in auto. I find dynamic steering too heavy and auto spot on.

Comfort steering is way too light though.

Don't bother with any setting other than Dynamic, which improves throttle responsiveness, holds onto gears longer, and adds a little weight and feel to the steering.
It's a S3 I bought,so I'm not bothering with attempts at economical driving.
Had I wanted that, would have bought a diesel of some kind.
Guess I can't really help with an answer............

2,500 miles in and 25.1mpg average.
Getting better.........

Different car, but same system on S5 gave extra 2.5mpg on a 60 mile journey in economy over dynamic when driving in pretty much exactly the same way. Not a big difference, but over 3-4 years it would all add up. As the A3 is more economical I'd expect slightly better figure than that.

3,500 miles in and long term average is sitting at 30.9 mpg. I've never had the car in any setting other than individual:

- Steering: dynamic (found it a bit heavy at first, but once you get used to it going back to comfort is disconcerting)
- Engine: dynamic (wouldn't have it any other way in an S3 and at 30.9 mpg see no reason to change)
- Sound: comfort (have tried it on dynamic but not a fan of 'artificial' engine sound)

Mine's a manual and I have a feeling that the changing the engine mode in an S-tronic probably has more effect on the way the car behaves...

Economy has definitely improved with miles and I haven't exactly been nursing it. Tonight's drive in Edinburgh rush hour traffic returned 25.7 mpg. Not exactly opportunity to give it beans, but impressive considering constant start-stop.