1.4 COD tuning box

RossR

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've had a DTUK tuning box fitted to my 1.4 COD for about a week now, so thought I'd share my experience so far.

The box in question is this one:

DTUK® FSR MultiChannel Petrol Tuning Box | chip tuning boxes from Diesel Tuning UK

Fitting/Removal is pretty straight forward. You just unplug three sensors and connect each one again, but via the tuning box. The only difficulty is that to get to some of the sensors you need to remove part of the induction system. This can all be done with a pair of pliers, and takes about 10 minutes. If, like me, you live close enough to DTUK, fitting is even easier, as they can do it for you.

There was a slight issue when my box first got fitted, but I put this down to it being the first one that had ever been fitted to an A3. The important thing form my point of view was how DTUK dealt with the problem. Suffice to say that a replacement part was couriered from Germany for the next day and all works perfectly now. Their customer service is simply excellent. I've got Andrew's (The MD) mobile number for technical support 24/7! Andrew is also a member on here (ABYSS), and offers a member discount.

Claimed performance figures are 171ps and 298Nm. This is based on dyno'ing a Mk7 Golf with the same engine.

Diesel Tuning box for Audi A3 1.4 Tsi 140ps Cod

Comparing that to the official figures for the 1.8 TFSI, it's within 5% of maximum power, and has considerably more torque! The 1.8 is of course slightly heavier too.

The box has a couple of adjustments on it. First of all there are two maps to choose from. Map 1 starts to fall off above 5000 rpm, whilst map 2 extends all the way. Secondly each map can be tweaked in aggressiveness from -3 to +3. When the box was first installed, it was set to a sensible configuration of Map 1, setting 0. Even that sensible configuration made a noticeable change though. As soon as I was happy that was working, we tried Map 2, setting +2, and it's stayed on that setting since.

So what's it like to drive? Well, the COD engine was a great engine from the factory and the box has only enhanced it. Idling is just as smooth as stock, and it's just as easy to drive in a relaxed manner when you choose.

Give it some throttle though and the difference is definitely noticeable. It really is hard to believe it's only a 1.4. At around 2000 rpm, it starts to really pull as the turbo kicks in. The torque builds quickly, but not so fast as to be harsh. From then on it just keeps pulling all the way to the red line, building to a slightly raspy sound. Drop it into 6th though and calm returns.

Some time I'll probably try turning it all the way up to +3, but for now I'm very happy with it on +2. It really is like having a new engine.

I can't say I've noticed an improvement in economy yet, but I have been driving it pretty hard and it is early days. I think the on board computer should still be accurate in this respect too as this particular tuning box leaves the ECU connected directly to the injectors.

Any questions?

Ross

Reactions: Lavalamp, gdbarratt, Psyman79 and 4 others
Thanks for the very good review. A tuning box is certainly something I will seriously consider in about a years time...

I have the same engine in my Seat Leon FR and was wondering how this box works when you change modes (Sport / Normal / Custom).

In the Audi, the drive select still works. So if you put it into economy you get reduced throttle response unless you push it past the end stop. I'd assume the Leon is similar. To be honest I rarely have the throttle response on anything but dynamic.

Yes on the Seat you have ECO which dulls throttle and switches off AC, Normal, Sport (Faster throttle response, heavier steering and reduced traction control) and then a final Custom which lets you mix and match (I mainly use this with all the sport function on except for the heavier steering which gets a bit of a chore around town).
I was concerned that in Sport mode and the box on it maybe a bit over aggressive, especially with the reduced TC.
I recently moved from a 2.0TFSi A3 and although the new Leon is lighter the 1.4TFSi doesn't quite have the same get up and go so was weighing up a remap or this DTUK box.

Sounds very similar to the Audi system and I use the same settings on custom (everything on max apart from steering on medium).
With the box and throttle response on maximum is still perfectly drivable. Sure, if you floor it in second in the wet you'll lose traction, but it's not difficult to control.

Hi Ross,
I have the same tuning box fitted to my A3 TFSi and since having fiited the box the 'stop/start' appears to work far less.
Just wandered if you have noticed a similar occurance.

Reactions: deanshaw24
Hi Ross,
I have the same tuning box fitted to my A3 TFSi and since having fiited the box the 'stop/start' appears to work far less.
Just wandered if you have noticed a similar occurance.
As the heater is on for longer, the car temperature needs to stay between at a range for the stop start to work. The outside temp needs to be consistent.

Any update on this?

Anyone else done the mod?

What was the cost after discount?

This arrived today:
DSC 0267 zpsvfcskber

As the car has, finally, done over 10,000 miles I thought it was time to try one out. Don't know when I'll get around to fitting it this weekend and at the moment it's raining hard...
DSC_0267_zpsvfcskber.jpg

Reactions: Scottyg
Does this flag up a code when on Audi diagnostics?

I had a DTUK box on my Mk 3 tt 2.0 tfsi and it only threw up one code once, and that was turbo over boost fault, but as an Audi technician I saw that code a lot...

Also my start stop did reduce a lot

Not a TD1 code if that's what you mean because it doesn't change the actually map. As for it being completely undetectable, well I am sure that if any component is running outside of its normal parameters then that be will be detected, not that I am particularly bothered as the car is going to be returned next April....

Cheers

When you say returned do you mean traded in or returned as in end of lease?

Still wary of these boxes nullifying warranty.

Legally it's pretty difficult for them to turn down a warranty claim, especially if they only suspect you've been tinkering.

After 2+ years and 4 services I've not had any problems. I take the kit off before taking it in, which I've gotten quicker at. As far as I know they don't suspect anything.

I do wish I'd just gotten the 1.8 though. I declare the mod to my insurers and it costs me more than if I had an S3!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

This arrived today:
View attachment 98360

As the car has, finally, done over 10,000 miles I thought it was time to try one out. Don't know when I'll get around to fitting it this weekend and at the moment it's raining hard...
DSC_0267_zpsvfcskber.jpg

Please let me know what you think of the performance difference once you have installed and driven.. The website claims it takes it from 150PS to 184PS. I'm very tempted to get one just want an honest opinion of one fitted; I.e can you feel the difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers

When you say returned do you mean traded in or returned as in end of lease?

Still wary of these boxes nullifying warranty.
Returned before the end of the pcp once I have paid 50% of the value of the car. Warranty as CrypticMG states, I have had cars remapped, not Audi's, and it never affected the warranty...

I do wish I'd just gotten the 1.8 though. I declare the mod to my insurers and it costs me more than if I had an S3!
That's interesting, what is the main reason for wishing you had gone for the bigger engine?

I'm thinking of coming away from the S3/300bhp as 90+% of my driving is in and around town with 30 & 40 speed limits, even the other week when I went down the coast the limits were 30/40/50 with a stretch of 70 for about 1/2 mile! I had been thinking of the 1.4 engine if I went for another A3 saloon or convertible, but I see they also do a 2.0 version now, so was thinking maybe I should go for that!!!

Also waiting for the prices of the new A5 coupe to see which way I'll be going.

That's interesting, what is the main reason for wishing you had gone for the bigger engine?

I'm thinking of coming away from the S3/300bhp as 90+% of my driving is in and around town with 30 & 40 speed limits, even the other week when I went down the coast the limits were 30/40/50 with a stretch of 70 for about 1/2 mile! I had been thinking of the 1.4 engine if I went for another A3 saloon or convertible, but I see they also do a 2.0 version now, so was thinking maybe I should go for that!!!

Also waiting for the prices of the new A5 coupe to see which way I'll be going.
My commute is 50% motorway and most of the rest is derestricted single/dual carriageway. I'm pretty happy with the performance of the 1.4 with the tuning box, but it does irk me that the insurance is higher than for an S3 (that's because only a subset of insurers will even quote for mods). I would like Quattro too

Well I fitted it between showers, the only difficulty I had was working out how the filter box came off and connecting one of the cables. This box doesn't need battery cables and has external buttons to set it up with. At the moment I have it at the settings the box came with however I will fine tune it later.
Went for a brief run into town but couldn't really test it much as there was too much traffic and also the saturday afternoon chavs were out all scowling and spoiling for a fight.
The difference is apparent, although not in your face, it'll poodle along at 30mph but the grunt is there when you put your foot.
More to follow...

Last edited:
Reactions: CrypticMG and RossR
My commute is 50% motorway and most of the rest is derestricted single/dual carriageway. I'm pretty happy with the performance of the 1.4 with the tuning box, but it does irk me that the insurance is higher than for an S3 (that's because only a subset of insurers will even quote for mods). I would like Quattro too

OK thanks, obviously there is something with the 1.4 otherwise you wouldn't have gone for the box in the first place!!! Maybe I should get the 2.0 so it's not such a great drop in power...if I get another A3 that is ;)

I will probably get a 2.0l engine as well, if it turns out to be either the a3 or the a4, however I will probably put the tuning box on that after the same length of time and mileage. Obviously the box will need modifying for that engine but it would be a shame not to reuse it.

There's been a few changes to the lineup since I ordered. My 1.4 is 140ps stock. It's fairly torquey for a petrol and adequate for town driving although sometimes the turbo lag can catch you out. The current 1.4 is 150ps so should be quite good for 30/40/50 limit areas.

A lot is what you're used to though. If you're used to an S3...

Reactions: glospete
How have you routed your cables Ross? I have strapped the box to the top left engine mount and run the cables under the air filter box, do you think that's safe?

How have you routed your cables Ross? I have strapped the box to the top left engine mount and run the cables under the air filter box, do you think that's safe?
My box is in front of the battery, strapped to the wash bottle filler pipe. Cables pass under intake ducting so might touch warm metal, but nothing as hot as the turbo. Not seen any signs of heat damage and they are away from any moving parts.

Ok thanks very much for that and what settings did you settle at in the end, still at Map 2, setting +2?

A lot is what you're used to though. If you're used to an S3...
Yeah that's what I'm thinking, I'm sure the 1.4 engine would be OK...but it's just I don't want to be thinking OMG where has all my power gone lol....think the 2.0 would be a better bet so it's not so much of a shock :)

Reactions: pburv
Ok thanks very much for that and what settings did you settle at in the end, still at Map 2, setting +2?
I found that map 2 would occasionally cause an emissions warning and instant limp mode (only when flooring it to the red line). Restarting the engine would clear it and there was nothing left in the OBD logs.
So I switched to map 1 at +3. Plenty of oomph and not a single warning since

Yeah that's what I'm thinking, I'm sure the 1.4 engine would be OK...but it's just I don't want to be thinking OMG where has all my power gone lol....think the 2.0 would be a better bet so it's not so much of a shock :)

While admittedly a fairly restricted test drive, I actually found that the the 1.4 150PS was not as slow as I thought it was going to be, coming from my S5.

It's a decent engine with plenty of power for 90% of everyday driving. Having said that, I didn't like driving a turbo again and going to struggle to drive any car without a supercharger now! Although the turbo lag will still be an issue if you're wanting to go into a Auto S3...

While admittedly a fairly restricted test drive, I actually found that the the 1.4 150PS was not as slow as I thought it was going to be, coming from my S5.

It's a decent engine with plenty of power for 90% of everyday driving. Having said that, I didn't like driving a turbo again and going to struggle to drive any car without a supercharger now! Although the turbo lag will still be an issue if you're wanting to go into a Auto S3...
Cheers for that, still 50/50 on manual or auto next as well, I do like the manual and think I'd miss it lol.

Got my name on the list with BMW for when they get the 240i in....just to keep the options open :D

Sounds good :)

Cheers for that, still 50/50 on manual or auto next as well, I do like the manual and think I'd miss it lol.

Got my name on the list with BMW for when they get the 240i in....just to keep the options open :D

Sounds good :)

Ha I've also driven the 235i...lovely car. The ZF gearbox (Sport Auto), steering and iDrive are all very nice and actually preferred it over the Audi. It was just a bit too small for me though, and the supercharged V6 and quattro swung me in favour of the S5.

I might seriously consider the 440i next though, especially as the new B9 S5 isn't doing much for me....i do wonder if I'll miss the traction from quattro too much...

i do wonder if I'll miss the traction from quattro too much...
Especially in the wet!

Saw this 1 series last year on the way back from the lakes:

bmw-jpg.91150

Reactions: Ignition1, DrEskimo and pburv
Any further opinions on the DtUK box for this engine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately I will not be driving mine again until around later on this week when I pop over to Audi & the Mazda showrooms for a gander. I will propably have more to say then...

Reactions: CrypticMG
I also have a tuning box from RaceChip for my 1.4 Cod / 150 bhp and tried fitting it, one cable easy peasy but the other is indeed under the air filter so i gave up as i'm not very Techy on Engine bits, could you maybe describe how you fitted it cuke2u? It sounds as though my box has the exact same fitting system.

I notice the plugs on mine which need to be replaced have a white spot on them like a sealing where they join from the factory so hope they can't see they have been tampered with.

When i bought the chip it said in and out in 5 Minutes but that surely isn't the case :(

Best regards and Thanks in advance for any help.

Unfortunately I will not be driving mine again until around later on this week when I pop over to Audi & the Mazda showrooms for a gander. I will propably have more to say then...
What name was the system purchased under, and i can check which files you have on the box.

We've just had a Seat Leon 1.4 150ps in and the customer had been using map 1 on plus 1, we suggested he tried map 3 plus 1 and the look on his face when he came back was brilliant :)

Also Ryan will be running different software as the files were changed around 12 months ago