Tyre roar

GreatBallsofFire

Reaction score
Great forum!

I have ordered an Audi A3 Sportback Quattro 150 hp Tdi Sport (and standard sport suspension), with 17´tyres. I wonder how you would compare the tyre roar and general sound volume inside with the previous 8P chassis (with similar specs) – anyone with experience from both models?

I like my current 2010 8P, but the tyre roar (and to some extent, the suspension) is killing me, especially on rough Swedish roads.

Ordered: Audi A3 Sportback Sport 5d, 2.0 tdi 150 hp, Quattro, Monsune grey, B&O, Tech pack etc

Last edited:
There was a similiar thread a while back. Conclusion was it very much depends on the exact tyres you are using. Some produce a LOT more noise than others.

With all do respect, I am not so sure it makes a huge difference and it seems like people have different opinions on this. I would like to hear from someone that have owned both models and can make a direct comparison between similar speced cars, albeit different models.

Last edited:
I used to own an 8P 2.0 tdi on a sport suspension (toyo T1R tyres) and my current car recently went in to audi for some warranty work and I was given a brand new 8V 1.8 tfsi S-line as a courtesy car (unsure of tyres but they would be whatever audi supply from the factory).
In my experience the 8V was far smoother and quieter. Engine noise (groan) may have been a factor but in general it just felt quieter and more refined than the 8P. On the road, the road noise was very good and quite enjoyable really

There is a 2.0 TDI-150 Manual quattro available in mainland Europe and the OP appears to be in Sweden. It's a model that is not available in the UK.

I didn't own an 8P so can't answer your question exactly. What I would say though is that pretty well all the noise complaints on here to date have been about cars with 18" wheels, and more specifically the Continental Sport Contact 5 tyres that these all seem to come with. Hopefully with 17" (that seem to come with a variety of tyres from the factory) you won't have this problem.

There is a 2.0 TDI-150 Manual quattro available in mainland Europe and the OP appears to be in Sweden. It's a model that is not available in the UK.

I think thats the same setup they offer on the Skoda Octavia as they only offer manual 4x4 and only on the 150ps 2 litre (or the 1.6 105ps, but who'd want that?)

I used to own an 8P 2.0 tdi on a sport suspension (toyo T1R tyres) and my current car recently went in to audi for some warranty work and I was given a brand new 8V 1.8 tfsi S-line as a courtesy car (unsure of tyres but they would be whatever audi supply from the factory).
In my experience the 8V was far smoother and quieter. Engine noise (groan) may have been a factor but in general it just felt quieter and more refined than the 8P. On the road, the road noise was very good and quite enjoyable really

Many thanks for sharing this. Now I feel a bit reasured. I might add that I did test the 1.6 tdi on standard suspension, and it was a far superior ride comfortwise compared to my current 8P. Howver, for higher speeds, the more sporty suspension likely add some needed stabillity (and, hence my question) perhaps louder tyre roar.

Last edited:
I didn't own an 8P so can't answer your question exactly. What I would say though is that pretty well all the noise complaints on here to date have been about cars with 18" wheels, and more specifically the Continental Sport Contact 5 tyres that these all seem to come with. Hopefully with 17" (that seem to come with a variety of tyres from the factory) you won't have this problem.

Thanks. As long as it noticable better than in my current 8P, I'll be satisfied.

You are very correct on this. And for the tsdi 184 hp model, we can't get manual gearbox, hence I decided for the 150 hp, which hopefully can be tuned a bit if felt necessary within a few years

I might add that AUDI for my new manual 150 hp Quattro claims roughly (just slight increased) the same fuel consumption that my current 2010 140 hp 2wd. I am not sure I believe them though..

I picked up my A3 on sat, with 17" alloy wheels and it's lovely and quiet in the cabin at all speeds.

I thought the 8V S3 I drove rode better than my s-line 8P, not sure on noise - I wasn't really paying attention to it. It can't have been much noisier at least given I didn't notice it!

We did over 150 miles on all types of road yesterday in north wales in our s3, including some really broken up road surfaces and the car was quiet and the suspension really just right. Standard 18" wheels and Conti sport contact 5s.

Can't see how anyone can complain about the S sports suspension, I think it's been tuned to perfection actually as it does allow a little body roll but is taught and compliant. Not bouncy or harsh IMHO.

^ You have a S3 !
It's a completely different setup / ride to a non- S3 Sport or S-line suspension!

The S3 setup is very good, the S-line suffers with primary ride harshness, and can be crashy :(

That's really interesting, I'm surprised there is that there is that much difference. I really should have a go in a COD sport sometime so I can see how they ride.

Thanks for your comments. I was however primrarly interested in people that can make a direct comparison, those who use to have a 8P sport suspension and now have similar specs in their 8V. It is by the way perfectly normal to be perfectly happy with a new car. As time goes by, one start to discover the pro and cons for each model. :)

I have ordered an Audi A3 Sportback Quattro 150 hp Tdi Sport (and standard sport suspension), with 17´tyres. I wonder how you would compare the tyre roar and general sound volume inside with the previous 8P chassis (with similar specs) – anyone with experience from both models?

I have an A3 8V 1.4TFSI SE and previously had an A3 8P 2.0TFSI S-Line. Whilst the engine noise in the 8V is a lot lower, I would say the tyre noise is about the same (ie. poor), even though my 8P had 18" wheels compared to 17" on the 8V. I've driven two other A3 8Vs, one had Bridgestone tyres and the other Michelin. There was no significant difference in the tyre noise to my car which has Pirellis.

Recently, I tried the Golf Mk.7 in SE and GT form, and the tyre noise on both models was much lower than my A3. On the Golf SE, tyre noise was pretty much absent, and even on the GT it was very low. Interestingly, the Golf GT had the exact same Pirelli tyres as my car, so that points to some sort of design flaw with the A3 suspension which isn't present on the Golf.

Thanks. It seems like it would be incredible incompetent by Audi to make the same mistake twice. However, the tdi 1.6 SB Standard suspension 8V I have driven and I experienced it as a considerably improvement compared to my current 8P in the case of road noise. However, it may depend on the particular type of road one is testing the car. We have in general, due to long winters, relatively rough asphalt on major highways in Sweden.

Recently, I tried the Golf Mk.7 in SE and GT form, and the tyre noise on both models was much lower than my A3. On the Golf SE, tyre noise was pretty much absent, and even on the GT it was very low. Interestingly, the Golf GT had the exact same Pirelli tyres as my car, so that points to some sort of design flaw with the A3 suspension which isn't present on the Golf.

Did you spec the comfort pack with the acoustic windscreen?

I noticed a big difference in noise between the original Bridgestone tyres and the current Goodyear AS2s. They are also slightly more comfortable.

Thanks. It seems like it would be incredible incompetent by Audi to make the same mistake twice. However, the tdi 1.6 SB Standard suspension 8V I have driven and I experienced it as a considerably improvement compared to my current 8P in the case of road noise. However, it may depend on the particular type of road one is testing the car. We have in general, due to long winters, relatively rough asphalt on major highways in Sweden.

For the best possible comfort we stuck with the standard 16 inch alloys. That tyre size is sometimes called 'premium touring'. They should have larger softer sidewalls. 17 inch and above tend to be high performance tyres - with smaller, firmer sidewalls. The 16 inch winter tyres I have are quieter and more comfortable than my 17 inch summer tyres. Both are Goodyear. Though winter tyres would have a softer rubber tread.

Can't see how anyone can complain about the S sports suspension, I think it's been tuned to perfection actually as it does allow a little body roll but is taught and compliant. Not bouncy or harsh IMHO.

Most reviews say to stick with the standard SE suspension. And I totally agree with them. The A3 1.4 CoD SB Sport we test drove had a very firm ride. It was uncomfortable over cats eyes, man hole covers and road repairs. The SE Golf we tested could have driven over cats eyes all day. It was that comfortable.

Did you spec the comfort pack with the acoustic windscreen?

I don't think so, but the road roar in my car seems to be coming up through the floor, rather than through the screen. I don't know whether the Golf has acoustic glass.

The Golf GT I drove also had a considerably better ride than my car, despite being a 'sporty' model. Still firm yes, but without the incessant jolting and jarring I get in the A3.

I don't think so, but the road roar in my car seems to be coming up through the floor, rather than through the screen. I don't know whether the Golf has acoustic glass.
I don't see any mention of the Golf having acoustic glass :/

The Golf GT I drove also had a considerably better ride than my car, despite being a 'sporty' model. Still firm yes, but without the incessant jolting and jarring I get in the A3.
Sounds like my Golf GTD. I know how you feel.

Were the Golf's you drove petrol or diesel?

Thank you for being so honest. I though that an SE A3 would be just as comfortable as the SE Golf we test drove. This is going to worry me. I advised my wife that the Audi we ordered would be as comfortable as the Golf. She will be disappointed if it is not as comfortable. I will be ******!

I very much liked the handling and the general ride comfort when I had a 8V standard suspension car for a week, thus I don't think you have to worry. For high speed stability and more sporty handling it is almost to soft, hence I ordered mine with sport suspension. Within a month I will know if that was a mistake..

I very much liked the handling and the general ride comfort when I had a 8V standard suspension car for a week, thus I don't think you have to worry. For high speed stability and more sporty handling it is almost to soft, hence I ordered mine with sport suspension. Within a month I will know if that was a mistake..

That entirely depends on how good/bad the roads are. When I changed - I found that my old Golf with soft suspension and 15 inch tyres could be driven faster on really bad roads. The new car could only be driven faster when the roads were good. Though it is fair to say that the new car will corner much better (as long as there isn't a small stone in the middle of the bend to upset the suspension lol).

Were the Golf's you drove petrol or diesel?

Both diesel - 1.6TDI SE and 2.0TDI GT.

However just to be sure, my dealer is getting the petrol versions for me to test drive soon, just in case the difference in engine weight makes a difference.