AH FabricationsVolks Autos
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: iPhone 5S, videos and text messaging

5th Gear

Status

iPhone 5S, videos and text messaging

Hi all

so I got my s3 today and have been playing with the cables etc.

I have an iPhone 5S, red collar ami cable and a genuine lightning adaptor to go on it.

Iphone charges, works fine with audio, album art etc etc. I can't see my videos though. Anyone else have this working?

Also - what about text messaging and dictation via the MMI with the iPhone 5S?

Thanks
    Build Week 1: Panther Black S3 SB S-Tronic, black nappa, anthracite alloys, comfort pack with adaptive cruise and parking plus, active lane assist, adaptive xenons with variable range control and auto high beam, technology package HIGH with connect, B&O, tyre pressure warning, fold/dim/dip/heat mirrors, reversible boot liner, extended mono pur interior, privacy glass, hill hold assist, LED interior light pack, electric lumber support.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Full LED baby !

Status
    You can see text messages on the MMI but can't dictate
    A3 3-door TDI 184 Quattro Stronic Brilliant Red : Sline kit - Auxiliary heating - LED headlights - 18" 10-spoke rims - audi connect - magnetic ride - driver assistance package - side assist - rear camera + park assist - alcantara/leather seats - auto dimming mirror - panoramic glass sunroof - towing equipment - electric lumbar support - heated front seats - hold assist - high beam assist - advanced key - B&O sound system etc
    Tuning box DTUK, 235hp/480Nm
    1/4 Mile 13.84 @ 95.2 MPH
    Porsche BBK...

5th Gear

Status
    Ok thanks - will stop trying to make it work then!

It doesn't really bother me anyway, I'm just exploring what it can do.
    Build Week 1: Panther Black S3 SB S-Tronic, black nappa, anthracite alloys, comfort pack with adaptive cruise and parking plus, active lane assist, adaptive xenons with variable range control and auto high beam, technology package HIGH with connect, B&O, tyre pressure warning, fold/dim/dip/heat mirrors, reversible boot liner, extended mono pur interior, privacy glass, hill hold assist, LED interior light pack, electric lumber support.

1st Gear

Status
    I didn't get a 5 cable, just a USB and wide iPhone connector.

Did you have to ask specifically for the red collar lead? My 5 does connect and play via Bluetooth no problem though.

I have my old 4 as a music player these days so it's loaded Nd ready to go, but doesn't seem to charge with the new car. Might just be a feature of the new software...

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan_G View Post
    I didn't get a 5 cable, just a USB and wide iPhone connector.

Did you have to ask specifically for the red collar lead? My 5 does connect and play via Bluetooth no problem though.

I have my old 4 as a music player these days so it's loaded Nd ready to go, but doesn't seem to charge with the new car. Might just be a feature of the new software...
    How u getting on?

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by snowfree52 View Post
    You can see text messages on the MMI but can't dictate
    does this only work with the tech pack? (bigger screen)

Full LED baby !

Status
    Yes
    A3 3-door TDI 184 Quattro Stronic Brilliant Red : Sline kit - Auxiliary heating - LED headlights - 18" 10-spoke rims - audi connect - magnetic ride - driver assistance package - side assist - rear camera + park assist - alcantara/leather seats - auto dimming mirror - panoramic glass sunroof - towing equipment - electric lumbar support - heated front seats - hold assist - high beam assist - advanced key - B&O sound system etc
    Tuning box DTUK, 235hp/480Nm
    1/4 Mile 13.84 @ 95.2 MPH
    Porsche BBK...

Neutral

Status
    When apple released ISO 7.0.5 it stopped my Iphone from sending video to the tele's in my car. They still work if you go through the video app but not if you are in 'music'. But by going through the video app there is no longer a play all or shuffle function so it plays one then stops and i have to manual select another, great when driving, well done apple! lol

5th Gear

Status
    Which iphone Ben?

Neutral

Status
    On my 4s an tried my brothers 5 with adaptor. Both the same.

1st Gear

Status
    I have an iPod Classic in the storage box connected to the Apple Cable and I have no cover flow (it's the iPod with the colour screen but the smaller kind, not the one that looks like the iPhone3)

I have cover art (not flow) from the BT connection to my iPhone 5S.

Question for me is this, anyone else got the iPod with cover art?

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by illingworth22 View Post
    I have an iPod Classic in the storage box connected to the Apple Cable and I have no cover flow (it's the iPod with the colour screen but the smaller kind, not the one that looks like the iPhone3)

I have cover art (not flow) from the BT connection to my iPhone 5S.

Question for me is this, anyone else got the iPod with cover art?
    Pretty sure that the classic does not support cover art. Which lead are you using? Red it blue?

4th Gear

Status
    I've tried all ways and cant get my car to display text messages.
    Steeve

1st Gear

Status
    I think the cable I got was a blue collar?!? Although I have insisted that they get a new lightning one sorted and handed over ASAP. Think you should give them a ring and play the "I have paid £1800 for a media system I want to be able to use it..." That's what I said and they have been ok...
    Using Tapatalk

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by karlabdool View Post
    does this only work with the tech pack? (bigger screen)
    Quote Originally Posted by snowfree52 View Post
    Yes
    How? I don't have that on mine, is it a Connect-only option?
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

6th Gear

Status
    Text Messages I would have thought would be standard on all models, if your phone supports it. There's nothing in the Tech Pack stuff in the brochure about it upgrading the bluetooth functionality.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    Text Messages I would have thought would be standard on all models, if your phone supports it. There's nothing in the Tech Pack stuff in the brochure about it upgrading the bluetooth functionality.

i have non-tech pack (small screen) and a 5s and i couldn't get the mmi to display sms, didnt happen either with a galaxy s2....

unless there is some buried setting in phone/mmi???

or does it only display sms over the cable and not bluetooth? (cause i have no cable )

6th Gear

Status
    Nope, 'Messages' is just in the main phone menu (the circular one) when it's there. Maybe it is a tech pack thing then, but it's unadvertised if it is.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

1st Gear

Status

1st Gear

Status
    Can't get messages to work, although the icon is there in the phone menu. iPhone 5 via bluthooth.

Plays music, calls work etc

Have an old 4 used as a music storage which is working fine too.

6th Gear

Status
    Do you have to enable it on your phone or anything? I've heard some iPhones need this

6th Gear

Status
    I've never seen this option and I have the Tech Pack but mine is a very early car.

Either this is Connect-only or it's been added on newer cars.
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

6th Gear

Status
    Connect has the dictation of text messages, not the messages feature as a whole. Your phone most likely doesn't support it, or you haven't switched on some option somewhere probably.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylock View Post
    Pretty sure that the classic does not support cover art. Which lead are you using? Red it blue?
    I am pretty sure its the Blue Cable.... I will check tonight and report back!

3rd Gear

Status
    I have the Tech Pack (non connect) and an iPhone 5 with blue cable and genuine lightning adaptor and SMS works fine, will also read them out to you but you can't dictate to it (connect only)

Go into the bluetooth connections on your iPhone then tap on the icon next to your "audi" pairing. Turn on "allow notifications".
    Then go into your bluetooth connections on the MMI it will now allow you to pair your phone for messaging. All should work fine
    It will however only show messages received whilst connected.

Video though doesn't work for me either
    Toadoftoadhall likes this.
    A3 S-Line 1.8TFSI S-Tronic Daytona Grey, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Parking System Plus with reversing cam, HHA, Folding Mirrors, Interior Lighting Pack, Advanced Key

6th Gear

Status
    Can you not browse the message inbox on the phone? Mine lets me do that.

As usual then, Apple like to implement their own version of the published standards and protocols!

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    Can you not browse the message inbox on the phone? Mine lets me do that.

As usual then, Apple like to implement their own version of the published standards and protocols!
    Lol no can't browse historic messages only the ones you receive while the phone is connected. I don't know if that due to the way apple string the messages rather than putting them in folders?
    Or maybe it's a connect thing as I know you have connect amongst the plethora of gadget you have
    A3 S-Line 1.8TFSI S-Tronic Daytona Grey, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Parking System Plus with reversing cam, HHA, Folding Mirrors, Interior Lighting Pack, Advanced Key

5th Gear

Status
    I'm starting to think SMS message support was a recent upgrade to the Tech Pack, as the option doesn't appear in mine on any Android phone that i've tried, or even on the wifes iPhone 5 (with notifications turned on).

I too have an early version of the Tech Pack so I will be asking the dealer to check for a firmware update when it goes in for its first service.
    2013 8V Glacier White A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI S-line Mnaual
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

6th Gear

Status
    Turning on notifications to me makes it sound like the iPhone will inform the car of any new texts that come in, but won't let it access the stored ones. Would be good to do a test though with various phone/car combinations to find out what the car supports in various option levels.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 97catalunya View Post
    I have the Tech Pack (non connect) and an iPhone 5 with blue cable and genuine lightning adaptor and SMS works fine, will also read them out to you but you can't dictate to it (connect only)

Go into the bluetooth connections on your iPhone then tap on the icon next to your "audi" pairing. Turn on "allow notifications".
    Then go into your bluetooth connections on the MMI it will now allow you to pair your phone for messaging. All should work fine
    It will however only show messages received whilst connected.

Video though doesn't work for me either
    Thanks - I couldn't fathom this out - sorted now
    97catalunya likes this.
    2014 S3 Sportback, S-tronic, Estoril Blue, LED Headlights, Privacy Glass, Super Sport Seats, Extended mono.pur interior, Panoramic Roof, B & O Sound, Tech Pack/Phone prep High with Audi Connect, Side/Lane & Hold Assist, (incls HB assist and Speed Limit Display) Int light pack, Comfort pack, Advanced Key, Adaptive Cruise, Park System Plus, Reverse Cam, Audi Pre-Sense, Dim/heat/fold mirrors, TP monitor, Through Load, 5 yr Warranty & 3 yr Service plan!

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadoftoadhall View Post
    Thanks - I couldn't fathom this out - sorted now
    Cool glad you have it working. Such a helpful feature.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mjcourtney View Post
    I'm starting to think SMS message support was a recent upgrade to the Tech Pack, as the option doesn't appear in mine on any Android phone that i've tried, or even on the wifes iPhone 5 (with notifications turned on).

I too have an early version of the Tech Pack so I will be asking the dealer to check for a firmware update when it goes in for its first service.
    You could be right? Do you have the Messaging icon on the phone screen?
    Before I got mine working it was there but greyed out.

5th Gear

Status
    You could be right? Do you have the Messaging icon on the phone screen?
    Before I got mine working it was there but greyed out.
    No, it doesn't appear at all.
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

6th Gear

Status
    Could explain it then by the sounds of it.

Wonder if there is anyone with the SD Nav, or no nav at all with the messaging function working so we can rule out trim level/options as a variable?

6th Gear

Status
    Well my car had a software update today (well half of one - long story) and the Messages icon is now there.

Doesn't work with my 4S though, the icon is greyed out. If I go into settings then there's an option to connect Messages functionality over Bluetooth but it fails.

3rd Gear

Status

iPhone 5S, videos and text messaging

Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo1 View Post
    Well my car had a software update today (well half of one - long story) and the Messages icon is now there.

Doesn't work with my 4S though, the icon is greyed out. If I go into settings then there's an option to connect Messages functionality over Bluetooth but it fails.
    Have you turned on "allow notifications" as mentioned in my post above? Mine was greyed out until I did this? Then the bluetooth connection should work

5th Gear

Status
    Pretty sure vertigo and I had the same tech pack firmware version (from a thread last year) so that explains why I don't currently have the messages option in my mmi. Definitely need a firmware update

6th Gear

Status
    Have you turned on "allow notifications" as mentioned in my post above? Mine was greyed out until I did this? Then the bluetooth connection should work
    Ooh, will give that a go, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mjcourtney View Post
    Pretty sure vertigo and I had the same tech pack firmware version (from a thread last year) so that explains why I don't currently have the messages option in my mmi. Definitely need a firmware update
    I'd hang on until mine is resolved if I were you, seems Audi are having problems updating it right now, as you've probably seen in my other thread.

6th Gear

Status
    Ok well I turned on the notifications and it allowed me to connect the Messages option and the icon lit up, yay!

Tried it by sending a text to myself and I got a short beep and the message was there. Weirdly though no further messages would appear no matter what I tried.
    phil1824 likes this.

6th Gear

Status
    I've noticed that the MMI notifications only appear & sound when you are 'doing' something that updates the system, even if its something as simple as changing the volume. Changing screen, pressing a button, menu item changing etc can all trigger this - it's as though the system is waiting for something to refresh its state so it can tell you about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast