S3 manual owners...

rams_s3

Reaction score
Can anyone with a manual s3 tell me if they have a slight delay when changing from 3rd to 4th at full chat? Mine does it it's almost like something cuts the power for a split second almost as if it's the traction control kicking in but I haven't noticed the light flashing.

On manual V6/V8 Audi 5's there is a similar feature which I was told facilitated easier gear changes .

Interesting.

Does it feel electronic or mechanical? Bmws have a clutch delay valve (which can be removed) and my wife's fiesta used to have an electronic pause between gears to allow the flywheel time to spin down to allow easier rev match. But it was just hopeless to drive quickly

On my 5's it felt electrical. It was most noticeable on Manual A5. When pulling away the engine revs momentarily increased when you put your foot on the clutch apparently to facilitate engaging first gear but it also 'did it' when changing from 3rd to 4th..

The clutch thing sounds like it might be what I'm feeling it is like the drive isn't there straight away. Might try it with traction off see how that fares. Annoying really as it isn't something I've had with any of my previous cars and does take a bit of shine off the acceleration.

Sorry can't say i have this on mine… i've had my fair share of issues but this isn't one of them (none of them the car's fault by the way). Unless i've never noticed it but i have gunned it plenty to say the least lol.

How's the boost gauge when you do this? no boost?

Sounds like electronic intervention with the throttle plate angle then. My old MINI clubman did this too - revs lifted slightly when you started to pull the clutch up to help with stalling etc.

I wonder if ABT / MTM etc have adjusted any of this behaviour in their engine remaps?

Mine doesn't do anything when setting off or pulling away just when changing gear at very high revs

I will try it with mine sometime during the weekend and post up.

Tried to get mine to do 'it' last night to show friends and it wouldn't, typical!

Haven't noticed anything on ours yet. What drive setting are you using?

Dynamic. I'm yet to pinpoint the exact situation that it does it as I said I tried it last night without success got my 6 week old daughter in today so won't be trying third to fourth at 6.5k revs lol! My ideas are now that it might be the traction control controlling the way the power is transmitted as a way to keep stability when snatching gears quickly and dropping the clutch, need to turn it off and see if it makes a difference

I tried it today and didn't notice anything.......although I did have 2 people in, so couldn't give it repeat attempts. I will try again when it's just me.

Ok i just drove my manual ... Very hard just to see if i noticed this or not and i still can't, but thanks for the great excuse ;). Oh and sorry for motorway users near Brussels, i might have left a few standing :/.

Just had to go and test again and call in at the Pub ;-) Didn't notice anything... may have to try again later !! What a car eh...

Reactions: J6YAK and Battlekrapz
Wonderful. We have had a few nice cars in the family but the 'pizza express ' S3 seems somehow very special !

I've had mine since jan 10th novelty still no where near worn off normally I'm relaxed about it by now but still love making excuses to go for a drive!

Reactions: Battlekrapz, J6YAK and PilotAudi
I tried it today and didn't notice anything.......although I did have 2 people in, so couldn't give it repeat attempts. I will try again when it's just me.

I tried again last night and didn't notice anything.

Rams you might want to get your car checked by Audi. Or you might want us to keep on trying? To be honest, the latter suits me fine :p.

Reactions: rams_s3
It's been to Audi and they couldn't fault it they said, but we've all heard that before when there has been something wrong just don't 100% trust their checks!

Yep, absolutely I agree. Why not try a different stealership for a second opinion? I know it's a pain but it's worth it for peace of mind? If they say there's nothing wrong, well case closed and you can continue enjoying your rocket launcher :).

Well second day with the S3 manual and still haven't experienced the issue. There are a few whistles and bangs on occasions though . ;-)

I'm still getting this problem, did it again yesterday afternoon while giving it some beans, anyone else had anything similar yet?