Sky InsuranceEM Tuning
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By snakehips

Thread: A3 B&O sub woofer

Neutral

Status

A3 B&O sub woofer

Hi all, great forum!

A3 S line 1.4cod due for delivery next week. Extras include tech pack and b&o stereo in conjunction with space saver spare wheel as a) I wanted a space saver and b) when I ordered it said the two had to be selected together.

After some googling of photos I'm worried that with a space saver in the boot there won't be room for the sub. Guess I'm worrying because the other half collected her a1 the other month with the AUDI sound system and I can't locate the sub, so got me thinking they didn't fit one and my a3 may follow suit! The dealer couldn't find the sub in the a1 either but assured me it existed because there is a sub option on the stereo.

Essentially, anyone got an a3 with b&o and a space saver? Where is the sub located?

Any reassurance appreciated!

Paul
    Using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    It's located in centre of spacesaver I think

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow oufc1976 On Twitter
    Or on the parcel shelf if it's a Saloon
    8V A3 Saloon 2.0 TDi S-Line. Daytona Grey. SD Sat Nav. Privacy Glass.

3rd Gear

Status
    Don't worry, the sub is specifically designed to fit on top of the space saver, and that's where it will be when you collect the car. (Unless you have a saloon)
    A3 SB S-Line TDi 184PS Quattro S-tronic. Shiraz Red, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Sunroof, LED lights, lots of other stuff.

3rd Gear

Status
    A3 SB S-Line TDi 184PS Quattro S-tronic. Shiraz Red, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Sunroof, LED lights, lots of other stuff.

3rd Gear

Status
    Just curious, is a spare wheel now an optional extra? It was standard 6 months when I ordered. And if you don't get a spare wheel, what would they do with the sub?

1st Gear

Status
    Mine looks the same as snakehips. The B&O is fantastic and I'm sure you'll be pleased with your choice.
    A3 8V 1.8T 6 speed 3 door S line - Daytona Grey. Interior lighting pack, privacy glass, comfort pack, electric folding heated dimming door mirrors, tyre pressure monitor, electric lumbar support, cruise control, acoustic parking system rear, B&O sound system.

Neutral

Status
    Wow the reassurance I needed within a few minutes! Thanks snakehips!

The space saver was a free option with the b & o.
    Using Tapatalk

Neutral

Status
    Ps is the b&o as good as I'm hoping?!
    Using Tapatalk

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PDA3 View Post
    Ps is the b&o as good as I'm hoping?!
    Not sure what you're hoping! But it really is very good. Needs tweaking from factory settings though. Normally that at least involves turning up the bass.
    driver_tim likes this.

Neutral

Status
    Very excited! Can't wait to get fiddling with the settings!
    Using Tapatalk

Neutral

Status
    I wouldn't mind hearing the B&O system but coming from a car that has been "pimped" with a pretty sweet sound system I'm not sure how it will compare. I will probably end up speccing it because I'm not sure I want to blow another 2k fitting a system into a brand new car, and certainly I'm not wasting several weekends dynamatting the hell out it!

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by snakehips View Post
    Not sure what you're hoping! But it really is very good. Needs tweaking from factory settings though. Normally that at least involves turning up the bass.
    +1. Here are mine:

A3 8V 1.8T 6 speed 3 door S line - Daytona Grey. Interior lighting pack, privacy glass, comfort pack, electric folding heated dimming door mirrors, tyre pressure monitor, electric lumbar support, cruise control, acoustic parking system rear, B&O sound system.

Neutral

Status
    Cool thanks
    Using Tapatalk

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by snakehips View Post
    Just curious, is a spare wheel now an optional extra? It was standard 6 months when I ordered. And if you don't get a spare wheel, what would they do with the sub?
    That's why you have to have the spacesaver with either the audi sound system or b&o. Though when I ordered it was standard on all cars as well. At least it's free when you have to have it!
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

Neutral

Status
    Weird as partners a1 didn't have the choice for space saver and can't find a sub (ass)! Not fair to just not instal a sub surely?!
    Using Tapatalk

Neutral

Status
    Weird as partners a1 didn't have the choice for space saver and can't find a sub (ass)! Not fair to just not instal a sub surely?!
    Is it built into either side of the boot? I've seen that on a few car models, hidden behind trim.

Neutral

Status
    I guess it could be but not taken the panels off to check. Tbh she can't tell if there's a sub or not! Still sounds good
    Using Tapatalk

Neutral

Status
    Put a Pendulum CD in the car, turn the volume up and stick your head in the boot... that should help you find the sub / figure out if it has one

Neutral

Status
    Haha that's a good plan!
    Using Tapatalk

Neutral

Status
    Thats the quick and easy test, but my guess would be it's an 8 inch compact sub hidden behind the trim on one of the sides.

Neutral

Status
    theres a video on youtube somewhere of the b&o system in an 8v it sounds very good in the video but im sure it will be 1000x better in person
    2014 Audi A3 1.4 TFSI S Line Glacier White

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by lloydie1994 View Post
    theres a video on youtube somewhere of the b&o system in an 8v it sounds very good in the video but im sure it will be 1000x better in person
    How can a video on youtube tell you whether the sound system sounds good? There are so many variables that it just boggles my mind thinking about it... but I am a bit of an audio nut, I think my sound system in my car is probably worth as much as the car now

Neutral

Status
    Fair point, having installed numerous sound systems for people and taking into account the HD quality of the video, and remembering it is still a video, the clarity and overall sound output is very good, im very aware hearing it in person is far more beneficial, but have purchased audio equipment for both car and home based on videos people have taken and posted on youtube.
    2014 Audi A3 1.4 TFSI S Line Glacier White

Neutral

Status
    I think before I order later this year I'll have to try and find someone with the B&O system to give it a listen before ordering it, my ideal would just be to roll my own system with the kit from my current car and probably a few extra speakers, but not sure that would go down so well with Audi warranty if I ever had any electrical issues.

6th Gear

Status
    No, if you have the audi sound system, you should have a sub. If you don't, kick up a HUGE fuss!
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Shermo View Post
    I wouldn't mind hearing the B&O system but coming from a car that has been "pimped" with a pretty sweet sound system I'm not sure how it will compare. I will probably end up speccing it because I'm not sure I want to blow another 2k fitting a system into a brand new car, and certainly I'm not wasting several weekends dynamatting the hell out it!

The B&O may not compare to your pimped car. I had Focal in my previous car and the detail in the music was much better. For factory B&O is ok. But the A3/S3 setup is at the bottom of B&O's own range.

That at being said people coming from other stock systems will be very happy.

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow oufc1976 On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacedude22:2097561

The B&O may not compare to your pimped car. I had Focal in my previous car and the detail in the music was much better. For factory B&O is ok. But the A3/S3 setup is at the bottom of B&O's own range.

Interesting to note you had Focals. I have those in my outgoing Golf GTi along with two amps, crossovers, subs etc.

As such I admitted defeat on the B&O, specced the ASS and picked some other options with the money saved.

Plus...at 37 I'm not sure I need the volume or bass these days! My Golf setup is rarely used to its full capability.
    8V A3 Saloon 2.0 TDi S-Line. Daytona Grey. SD Sat Nav. Privacy Glass.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacedude22 View Post

I think the major downside to going the DIY route is the risk of them voiding warranty on anything electrical. My current car is mostly Rainbow (speakers and amp), JBL sub and an Eclipse head unit... I blew a work bonus on it about 6 years ago, it's done me quite well, in fact I'd go as far as to say my car audio is as good if not better than my home hifi. The Eclipse head unit was way beyond anything else on the market at the time, dunno how it compares these days though, I think it was about £400 alone.

Reverse Gear

Status
    I think the major downside to going the DIY route is the risk of them voiding warranty on anything electrical. My current car is mostly Rainbow (speakers and amp), JBL sub and an Eclipse head unit... I blew a work bonus on it about 6 years ago, it's done me quite well, in fact I'd go as far as to say my car audio is as good if not better than my home hifi. The Eclipse head unit was way beyond anything else on the market at the time, dunno how it compares these days though, I think it was about £400 alone.
    Yeah DIY is a bit of a pain. I think I'll leave the b&o in for a while.

Neutral

Status
    I got the ASS and I´m quite satisfied. But no space saver wheel for me, only a compressor and some sticky thing. I forgot that I had to order the space saver wheel separately.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by felsby View Post
    I got the ASS and I´m quite satisfied. But no space saver wheel for me, only a compressor and some sticky thing. I forgot that I had to order the space saver wheel separately.
    So where's your sub???
    Or do you have a saloon?

Neutral

Status
    in the same place as yours, only it sits alone in the spare wheel well. Got a sportback.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by felsby View Post
    in the same place as yours, only it sits alone in the spare wheel well. Got a sportback.
    Didn't know it could do that, I assumed it needed the spare wheel to be seated properly.

Neutral

Status
    and the funny thing is, if I want a spare wheel, they will have to rebuild it for much more than it would have cost me to order it!

Neutral

Status
    They've changed the online configurator now so you have to select spare wheel with b&o
    Using Tapatalk