Detailing the new car

McAudi

Reaction score
It's a Monday evening and I decide to have a quick search for detailing. Next thing I know, I've parted with hundreds of pounds on the Polished Bliss website. Add a bucket here, a towel there and some stuff for this bit and that bit and before you know it, you have half a garage-load of chemicals and pads on its way. To think that I used to get by with a bucket, sponge and chamois; albeit, the bodywork of previous cars - whilst looking clean - were in fact covered in millions of tiny scratches and swirls. All I hope is that I make good use of the products and they don't end up on a garage shelf next to my redundant dumb bells!

Reactions: Toadoftoadhall
I seem to be going down the same path as you, although my car came with a cleaning pack. However I have considered a power jet but living on a main road can be a bit awkward. The car is garaged about 100 yards away with no water supply or electricity which would mean carting water round there and using the 2 bucket method of cleaning, but a lot safer.

There are several must does to prevent the dreaded swirls. The first is get rid of as much of the dust and gritty grime off the surface as you possibly can. Without a pressure wash this is going to be difficult. You could use a power lance at a local garage but not with detergent, it will strip your wax straight off.
Then use a high quality wash mitt and not a sponge so you don't rub dirt around and around, use two buckets with grit guard, use only a wax safe shampoo, there are many available. Then make sure you use a wax or glaze and NOT A POLISH. Polishes by their name and nature are abrasive. Only ever wax your car immediately after washing it. etc etc..................

Enjoy your new car......

Reactions: McAudi
I use the 2 bucket method but only have one bucket! ;-0

Reactions: w.h.i.p.p.e.t
I'd love to see that in action. Do you half fill with clean water and the other with soapy water ;-)

Just for the record, here's my order:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
PB Foam Lance Kit
Werkstat Acrylic Kit
PB Clear Wash Buckets
PB Luxury Drying Towel
Microfiber Madness Incredisponge
Gyeon Q2M Bathe
Auto Finesse Iron Out
Werkstat Prot
Meguiar's Microfibre Applicator Pad
303 High Tech Fabric Guard
Auto Finesse Satin
Flexipads Tyre Dressing Applicator Pad
Poorboy's Wheel Sealant
Meguiar's Foam Applicator Pad

Reactions: Toadoftoadhall and DAYTONA 500
It's a Monday evening and I decide to have a quick search for detailing. Next thing I know, I've parted with hundreds of pounds on the Polished Bliss website. Add a bucket here, a towel there and some stuff for this bit and that bit and before you know it, you have half a garage-load of chemicals and pads on its way. To think that I used to get by with a bucket, sponge and chamois; albeit, the bodywork of previous cars - whilst looking clean - were in fact covered in millions of tiny scratches and swirls. All I hope is that I make good use of the products and they don't end up on a garage shelf next to my redundant dumb bells!

I've got the S3 and the Merc booked in to Polished Bliss at the end of April, to have a post winter detail.
Will likely stock up on products to keep it ticking over between visits.

Snowfoam is the best invention ever. I've been into car detailing for years and have never used the two bucket method. You don't need to If you Snowfoam the car first as it will remove most of the dirt.

Just get a bucket with a grit guard and was as you would normally, just change your sponge for a wash mit and hey presto your car will be mint.

Make sure soap products are last product safe so they don't strip off and wax finishes you apply to the car.

Enjoy :)

Just for the record, here's my order:

PB Foam Lance Kit
Werkstat Acrylic Kit
PB Clear Wash Buckets
PB Luxury Drying Towel
Microfiber Madness Incredisponge
Gyeon Q2M Bathe
Auto Finesse Iron Out
Werkstat Prot
Meguiar's Microfibre Applicator Pad
303 High Tech Fabric Guard
Auto Finesse Satin
Flexipads Tyre Dressing Applicator Pad
Poorboy's Wheel Sealant
Meguiar's Foam Applicator Pad
You won't be disappointed with the Werkstat Acrylic just used it on my Glacier White S5 with great results. http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a5-s5-rs5-forum/210629-started-detailing-s5-today.html

Reactions: Toadoftoadhall and McAudi
You are right and I apologise.

But it's perhaps not where new owners are going to be, doesn't hurt now and then to be a bit naughty, no harm in it?

Reactions: DAYTONA 500 and McAudi
No harm whatsoever............the Werkstat 3 part kit is amazing especially on white cars. If your after a white specific wax have a look at Angelwax Drift...optically enhanced for white cars....My Ibis White S3 looks the nutz after its been applied. Minimum of 6 months durability.

Reactions: DAYTONA 500 and McAudi