S3 8vsportback black panther RS6 C7 19 inch alloys from south of France

The OEM are not made by audi
For the moment these looks good (as OEM) and the weight is the same
I don't think there will be a problem with the time
They're not expensive (710 euros) so the risk is limited, i will see, and keep the 18 at home

Reactions: vakaviti
Them being replicas doesn't bother me in the slightest - like I say so long as they're good ones.

Do they have to be TUV approved for use in France and Germany ?

Does the TUV approval mean they're a better quality than the Chinese junk then.

I'm assuming yes - but that's all it is an assumption. Anyone of our non UK members know any details about TUV approvals before I go to google ??

Well i knew it was something to do with safety / testing of different parts but wasn't too sure of the details so here it is from Wikipedia:

TÜVs (German pronunciation: [ˈtʏf]; short for German: Technischer Überwachungs-Verein, English: Technical Inspection Association) are German organizations that work to validate the safety of products of all kinds to protect humans and the environment against hazards. As independent consultants, they examine plants, motor vehicles, energy installations, amusement rides, devices and products (e.g. consumer goods) which require monitoring. The many subsidiaries of the TÜVs can also act as project developers for energy and traffic concepts, as problem solvers in environmental protection, and as certification bodies. Many of the TÜV organizations also provide certification for various international standards, such as ISO9001:2008 (quality management system) and ISO/TS16949 (automotive quality management system).
The TÜVs as a group became part of the German landscape about 130 years ago, as part of the public and workplace safety initiatives of the time. To increase the safety of their equipment steam engine and boiler owners founded regional "Dampfkessel-Überwachungs- und Revisions-Vereine" (DÜV) (steam boiler supervision and revision associations) as self-help organizations to independently supervise their boilers. Their success in preventing accidents was such that in 1871 membership in such an association relieved an owner from government inspections of their boilers.
Because of their success in preventing steam accidents they were trusted with other inspection tasks, too, and the DÜVs became the TÜVs. In 1870 there were 43 TÜVs in total. They were geographically based, as they are today, hence the names, SÜD, NORD, Rheinland, etc. The TÜVs were originally formed to inspect steam boiler installations across the country. A major part of their business is still based on the inspection and certification of boiler and pressure equipment. As the years passed and technology progressed, the 43 TÜVs merged and now there are 4 TÜVs remaining in Germany (TÜV SÜD, TÜV NORD, TÜV Rheinland, and TÜV Saarland / SGS TÜV plus one in Austria (TÜV Austria). The largest is the SÜD group with 19,000 employees and 800 locations worldwide. The only commercial certification body in the world compete the TÜVs combined is Société Générale de Surveillance (SGS), with more than 80,000 employees and headquarter in Switzerland.

Reactions: RAPS3
Sorry to bump this. How is it you managed to get a 43 and a 47 offset on these wheels? Their website only lists a 45.

I'll butt in again cause i just ordered from them and i read a french forum where this company discusses their work. In fact they propose different ETs to their customers prior to sending them the order as they know best what fits. As for not specifying this on the website, not too sure why they don't do it.

Reactions: RAPS3 and ConS3
I read there website using Google Translate, see extract below:

"German design is a guarantee of quality for the end customer. This indicates that the plant complies with the TUV standards."

This suggests that the manufacturing facility has TÜV (not sure how that works), not the individual product itself. I work in manufacturing and this kind of cascading type approval is a way for companies to advertise their products meeting a particular standard without the need to have each individual product tested. That one wheel that goes to the testing facility once a year could potentially be nothing like the general product that goes out the door.

"Manufacturing is outsourced to Asian countries as 99% of the market of the rim to bring you the best prices on a market increasingly competitive."

For anybody that thought these wheels were any more than replica wheels made in Chinese or Thai factories, sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

"We work mainly with two plants whose quality is not proved (German design with Thai Manufacturing)"

The last paragraph is a bit worrying but perhaps the meaning of the sentence got lost in translation (?)

Reactions: RAPS3
The wheels are from another manufacturer, but there is any differences with the original ones, it's not chinese ones!
They aren't heavier than the 18' s3 ones, and the quality is good

Beautiful in full polished
Wich ofset have you?
The tires are in 225?
Wich brand did you choosed?

Beautiful in full polished

Wich ofset have you?
The tires are in 225?
Wich brand did you choosed?

Thank you Fred.

ET47 front and rear.
Continental Sport Contact 5P Tyres are 225 front and rear.

Ok is ther any problem with the load of these tires?
I have 235, because it's 91, and the 225 are in 88

Ok is ther any problem with the load of these tires?
I have 235, because it's 91, and the 225 are in 88

Not that I am aware.

I dealt with a guy called Nicolas@ldprestige.com who didn't advise against 225 tyres.

I may lower the car with some H&R springs by about 20mm but at the moment I think she looks and sits fine.

Ok because they said to me that the 225/35/19 88y, are not good for the weight and the power of the car
That's why they propose 235/35/19 91y for the s3

Reactions: Bandit 69
Ok because they said to me that the 225/35/19 88y, are not good for the weight and the power of the car
That's why they propose 235/35/19 91y for the s3

In what way not good?

ABT offering 19 inch with 225 profile tyres so can't see it being a problem. I've not had any problems with them.

The ride is a little firmer but not a concern.

Because of the rate of weight
That what they said to me when i asked them why they delivered 235 for me

Service Description

A service description identifies the tire's load index and speed rating. It can be found on the sidewall of the tire after the size listing.

The load index is the tire size's assigned numerical value used to compare relative load carrying capabilities. The speed rating is a letter denoting a fixed maximum speed capability.

Size: 225/35ZR19
Sidewall Style: Blackwall
Serv. Desc: 88Y
Load Range: XL
UTQG: 240 AA A

Size: 235/35ZR19
Serv. Desc: (91Y)
UTQG: 300 AA A

Size: 225/40R18
Serv. Desc: 92Y
UTQG: 280 AA A

No it's for the weight that the tire can support
I don't know how to explain in english, i'm french, and that is what the dealer said to me when i'asked him why i can't choose 225 for the s3
I just give you the information
The speed rating is the letter: Y
The load index is 92 for the 18 inches tires on the S3
88 is the maximum for the 225/35/19, and the 235/35/19 is 91

Why would a guy from the same shop sell 225's if they're not recommended? Also, the tyre is an XL so i don't think it's an issue... Or did you buy the tyres separately?

ABT - DR19 COMPLETE WHEEL SET
DR19 - 8.5 x 19 - bolt circle: 5/112 - offset: 50 - hub diameter: 57.1 mm - ball: 25.6 mm - color: gun-metal incl. tyre: 225/35 R19

an extract from the ABT site.

Reactions: Battlekrapz
I've no idea about the truth
I rapport you the thing that the dealer said to me, and when you select the S3 8v, you can only choose 235 tires, on the golf R, and S3 4 doors it's 235 tires
They said to me that it not depends only on the weight of the car, it depends of the power of traction, and if you take a hole on the road, it can make damages on the tire

Louay's Tyres are 88w: max load 560 Kg (1235 pounds) per tyre (source: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35)

Audi s3's weight: around 1.4 tons (?)

So, 1.4 tons divided 4 = 350 Kg per tyre

350Kg well below the max 560 Kg allowed by Louay's tyres.

Am i mistaken?

This is only the static loading on the tyre.

For a true picture, you should factor in the dynamic load. For example, car travelling at 250km/h, Full braking, the dynamic load on the front tyres are much much higher.

Will the tyres burst :p

Also essential to fit XL tyres (re-enforced sidewalls) due to the dynamic lateral loads of the car.

This is only the static loading on the tyre.

For a true picture, you should factor in the dynamic load. For example, car travelling at 250km/h, Full braking, the dynamic load on the front tyres are much much higher.

Will the tyres burst :p

Also essential to fit XL tyres (re-enforced sidewalls) due to the dynamic lateral loads of the car.

If this is the case then ABT, arguably one of the best German tuning companies, are selling S3 8v owners incorrect tyre sizes for their cars?

Reactions: Battlekrapz
If this is the case then ABT, arguably one of the best German tuning companies, are selling S3 8v owners incorrect tyre sizes for their cars?

I didn't say that.

All I said was it isn't a simple calculation to just use a static load, you must consider the dynamic loads, also use the gross vehicle weight, so 4 people with luggage.

Unless of course your tyres only support your car stationary !

What is the exact size and load and speed rating taken from the sidewall of your tyres?

Eg: 225/35 R19 92 Y XL

The original tires are 225/40/18 92Y
Mine are 235/35/19 91Y
And in 225/35/19 it's 88Y

What is the exact size and load and speed rating taken from the sidewall of your tyres?

Eg: 225/35 R19 92 Y XL

Don't have the details in my pocket at the moment. Will advise details tomorrow.

Reactions: veeeight
I love that colour. How purple does it get in sunlight/dark light? Or is it extremely dark black and simply looks black?? (feel stupid for asking this question!)

The three are XL

For the color, its black black
And when its at sun, it's red when you see it from the front, and green when you see it from the back

With the sun in front

With the sun in back

Reactions: the_lecht_rocks
And here at shade (more dark than the phantom black)

Reactions: the_lecht_rocks