• 1 Post By cbotved
  • 2 Post By royalsteve68
  • 1 Post By PilotAudi

Thread: Android vs iPhone

Neutral

Status

Android vs iPhone

Hi,

I have had a lot of iPhones over the years, great design etc....

But my company has just changed policy, and are now only buying Androids (Galaxy S4).

So my question is, if there is somewhere a matrix of what is possible to do in the A3 with the phone, if you have iPhone or Android?

Or are there any difference at all?
    icebun likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    I don't think there is much difference to be honest.

If you have audi connect on an early model a3 8v (pre 4g/lte) then you can use RSAP via a galaxy s4 which you can't on the iPhone but apart from that I think it's the same functionality.
    Build Week 1: Panther Black S3 SB S-Tronic, black nappa, anthracite alloys, comfort pack with adaptive cruise and parking plus, active lane assist, adaptive xenons with variable range control and auto high beam, technology package HIGH with connect, B&O, tyre pressure warning, fold/dim/dip/heat mirrors, reversible boot liner, extended mono pur interior, privacy glass, hill hold assist, LED interior light pack, electric lumber support.

Neutral

Status
    What about dictation, is that connected to any tech packs, Audi connect or something different?
    Using Tapatalk

5th Gear

Status
    Good question, not sure. I know the reading aloud is audi (not the phone) but not sure about dictation.
    Build Week 1: Panther Black S3 SB S-Tronic, black nappa, anthracite alloys, comfort pack with adaptive cruise and parking plus, active lane assist, adaptive xenons with variable range control and auto high beam, technology package HIGH with connect, B&O, tyre pressure warning, fold/dim/dip/heat mirrors, reversible boot liner, extended mono pur interior, privacy glass, hill hold assist, LED interior light pack, electric lumber support.

6th Gear

Status
    Here Audi Datenbank fr mobile Gerte is a good place to start with phone compatibility.
    Now a proud owner of a A3 1.4 tfsi Saloon S-Line, 6-speed, Daytona Grey, Technology Pack, Comfort Pack, Cruise, Advanced Key, Privacy Glass, Audi Parking System Plus, Interior Lighting, Folding Door Mirrors, Light & Rain Sensor. Hold Assist.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cbotved View Post
    What about dictation, is that connected to any tech packs, Audi connect or something different?
    Dictation comes with Connect, and uses the data connection to send your recording to a service that does the transcription
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

6th Gear

Status
    To answer the question though: Generally you'll probably find that the androids support more of the standards needed for the different functions than the iPhones. I've seen people mention that the messages function doesn't work with their iPhone for example.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    To answer the question though: Generally you'll probably find that the androids support more of the standards needed for the different functions than the iPhones. I've seen people mention that the messages function doesn't work with their iPhone for example.
    Androids FTW

Neutral

Status
    Not a biker by any chance?

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cbotved View Post
    Hi,

I have had a lot of iPhones over the years, great design etc....

But my company has just changed policy, and are now only buying Androids (Galaxy S4).

So my question is, if there is somewhere a matrix of what is possible to do in the A3 with the phone, if you have iPhone or Android?

Or are there any difference at all?
    you can root an android phone, apply your own skins, etc - good luck doing that with an iphone without bricking it.
    maps work on android
    connection to non apple products works
    no stupidly expensive cables/accessories - eg welcome to world of cheap genuine chargers (£3)
    on samsungs eg s4 you can change the battery if running out of charge - very very handy
    Better connection / compatibility with 4g network
    etc
    etc

I used to have an Iphone and wouldn't go back
    h5djr and cuke2u like this.
    Audi S3, Misano red, Stronic, ACC, Tech pack with Audi Connect, Comfort pack with park assist plus, though-load, aluminium roof bars, B&O, Led lights, Folding mirrors, Interior led lights, Hold assist, High beam assist, Pano roof, Privacy glass, Electric lumbar support

Banned

Status
    Well I've had Samsung, HTC, Huawei and various other androids as well as old Bilberries. When contracting for different organisations they tend to throw me a company 'phone so I have indeed tried a few.

I agree Apple are a bit of a restrictive company with apps and cables etc and expensive but IMHO there products are superb and a good match for an Audi. Currently running IPhone 5 .
    CraigI likes this.