Badger5Sky Insurance
    Reverse Gear

Status

External HDD problem

Hi. This is my first post and I know this topic has been done multiple times before but I haven't been able to find any posters with a similar experience. I tried connecting my 2.5" 1TB Western Digital elements portable hard drive (after formatting to fat32) to the ami using the usb connecting cable. The light on the HDD goes on and I can feel and hear the HDD components spinning but the ami doesn't pick anything up. Instead it shows a "Not connected" message. I've also tried connecting a usb flash drive and that works perfectly but no such luck with the external. As far as I can tell I've done everything correctly and it doesn't seem to be a power issue. I'm hoping someone might be able to help me as I'm really at a loss as to where the problem could be.

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    I think it's something to do with the power. Those hard drives need more amps than pen drives. Does your car have the USB and ami connection port?

Reverse Gear

Status
    The car has just the ami connection port

6th Gear

Status
    I would say it's a power issue as well. Often, external drives require being hooked up to 2 USB ports, or the drive negotiates with the USB host for more power (by default it's limited to 500mA, and I doubt the AMI has the capability to negotiate higher power delivery)
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

1st Gear

Status
    When i spoke to Audi about hard drives the guy thought that they had a limit of 512gb. I have a 500gb one and not had any issues other than it not remembering where i was when car is turned off.
    Not sure if that helps but its just my experience.

Si.
    A3 S-Line 1.4 TFSI COD Manual in Glacier White with Comfort Pack including Park Plus, S-Line Sports Suspension and SD Card Based Sat Nav.