External HDD problem

saiyaman26

Reaction score
Hi. This is my first post and I know this topic has been done multiple times before but I haven't been able to find any posters with a similar experience. I tried connecting my 2.5" 1TB Western Digital elements portable hard drive (after formatting to fat32) to the ami using the usb connecting cable. The light on the HDD goes on and I can feel and hear the HDD components spinning but the ami doesn't pick anything up. Instead it shows a "Not connected" message. I've also tried connecting a usb flash drive and that works perfectly but no such luck with the external. As far as I can tell I've done everything correctly and it doesn't seem to be a power issue. I'm hoping someone might be able to help me as I'm really at a loss as to where the problem could be.

I think it's something to do with the power. Those hard drives need more amps than pen drives. Does your car have the USB and ami connection port?

I would say it's a power issue as well. Often, external drives require being hooked up to 2 USB ports, or the drive negotiates with the USB host for more power (by default it's limited to 500mA, and I doubt the AMI has the capability to negotiate higher power delivery)

When i spoke to Audi about hard drives the guy thought that they had a limit of 512gb. I have a 500gb one and not had any issues other than it not remembering where i was when car is turned off.
Not sure if that helps but its just my experience.

Si.