Chris NottSky Insurance
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Daz Auto
  • 1 Post By Daz Auto

Thread: 184ps TDI Engines

Neutral

Status

184ps TDI Engines

I'm looking at swapping my A3 3dr to either a saloon or SB, I've noticed that the only model which has the more powerful engines are the sportsbacks, not even the 3 door has it according to Audi's site.
    Is this simply a mistake or is the slightly more powerful setup exclusive to the Sportsback?
    62 A3 (8V) S-Line | 2.0TDI | Amalfi White

2. # ADS
    ADS

Quote Originally Posted by vimy View Post
    I'm looking at swapping my A3 3dr to either a saloon or SB, I've noticed that the only model which has the more powerful engines are the sportsbacks, not even the 3 door has it according to Audi's site.
    Is this simply a mistake or is the slightly more powerful setup exclusive to the Sportsback?
    You can have the 184 engine with manual gearbox and front wheel drive or with an s-tronic quattro setup in an A3 Sport and an A3 S-Line - 3-door or Sportback but the A3 Saloon is currently only available with up to 150 diesel engines unless you go to an S3 Saloon with a petrol engine.

Go to the Audi website (Brochures < Contact us < About Audi < Audi) and download their Price and Specification Guide for the A3 and S3 and it will give you all the different models, their prices and the huge range of options available. The A3 Saloon is current only available with up 150 diesel engines.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

1st Gear

Status
    Have you noticed that there is nothing in the A3 range to directly compare with the Golf GTI?

Where is the 2.0L TFSI?

The GTI is also available with a performance pack, which includes a VAQ differential. Why is this not available on an Audi?
    PilotAudi likes this.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Daz Auto View Post
    Where is the 2.0L TFSI?
    It's called the S3....

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by arad85 View Post
    It's called the S3....
    ... wrong!

S3 = Golf R

... not a GTI
    PilotAudi likes this.

2nd Gear

Status
    Ahh.. you're right. In which case, there are 3 options:

• Audi want a big differential in performance between 1.8 petrol and S3
    • Audi don't see a market for it as it would cost almost the same as the S3
    • It will come along at some point in the future

Given the minimal price differential between S3 and 184 sline quattro, my guess is the second. Not very helpful I know but...

3rd Gear

Status
    Wait a while and perhaps Audi will fill this gap?
    Steeve

3rd Gear

Status
    Interestingly this is what the US get (cutout from US A3 Sedan brochure), which is a 2 litre petrol at 220BHP. Wouldn't be surprised if we don't get it soon.

US A3 spec.jpg
    S3 Saloon S-Tronic. Panther Black. Tech Pack, Super-sports seats, LED Lights, Comfort pack with Adaptive Cruise and parking plus, Folding mirrors, Bang and Olufsen Sound System, Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy glass, Tyre sensor, Boot Mat

Previously 2.0TSi VW Scirocco

Quote Originally Posted by Joetidman View Post
    Interestingly this is what the US get (cutout from US A3 Sedan brochure), which is a 2 litre petrol at 220BHP. Wouldn't be surprised if we don't get it soon.

US A3 spec.jpg
    Perhaps Audi will include this for the 2015 Model Year.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Joetidman View Post
    I was wondering if VAG had some marketing strategy and were trying to avoid Audi having a GTI equivalent.

For example: we also looked at an SE Golf. Then decided that the difference was only about £1k. So why not have the Audi! Even the Seat worked out at well over £20k. Unless the Golf and Seat worked out a lot cheaper, why would you buy one?

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Daz Auto View Post
    I was wondering if VAG had some marketing strategy and were trying to avoid Audi having a GTI equivalent.

For example: we also looked at an SE Golf. Then decided that the difference was only about £1k. So why not have the Audi! Even the Seat worked out at well over £20k. Unless the Golf and Seat worked out a lot cheaper, why would you buy one?
    But the same applies to the Golf R really. I know its a personal thing, but it doesn't look as good, the interior is no where near as nice, and its a VW, and yet its pretty much the same price as the S3. Also there is going to be a Seat Cupra R soon, again with the same engine. So they do compete. I think they'll bring out the 2 litre at some point, but not brand it up in the same way that the Gti is. If you think about it that was what they used to have with the 8P 2 litre engine. Pretty much the same as the Gti, but no special badges etc
    S3 Saloon S-Tronic. Panther Black. Tech Pack, Super-sports seats, LED Lights, Comfort pack with Adaptive Cruise and parking plus, Folding mirrors, Bang and Olufsen Sound System, Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy glass, Tyre sensor, Boot Mat

Previously 2.0TSi VW Scirocco