184ps TDI Engines

vimy

Reaction score
I'm looking at swapping my A3 3dr to either a saloon or SB, I've noticed that the only model which has the more powerful engines are the sportsbacks, not even the 3 door has it according to Audi's site.
Is this simply a mistake or is the slightly more powerful setup exclusive to the Sportsback?

I'm looking at swapping my A3 3dr to either a saloon or SB, I've noticed that the only model which has the more powerful engines are the sportsbacks, not even the 3 door has it according to Audi's site.
Is this simply a mistake or is the slightly more powerful setup exclusive to the Sportsback?

You can have the 184 engine with manual gearbox and front wheel drive or with an s-tronic quattro setup in an A3 Sport and an A3 S-Line - 3-door or Sportback but the A3 Saloon is currently only available with up to 150 diesel engines unless you go to an S3 Saloon with a petrol engine.

Go to the Audi website (Brochures < Contact us < About Audi < Audi) and download their Price and Specification Guide for the A3 and S3 and it will give you all the different models, their prices and the huge range of options available. The A3 Saloon is current only available with up 150 diesel engines.

Have you noticed that there is nothing in the A3 range to directly compare with the Golf GTI?

Where is the 2.0L TFSI?

The GTI is also available with a performance pack, which includes a VAQ differential. Why is this not available on an Audi?

Reactions: PilotAudi
Ahh.. you're right. In which case, there are 3 options:

• Audi want a big differential in performance between 1.8 petrol and S3
  • Audi don't see a market for it as it would cost almost the same as the S3
  • It will come along at some point in the future

Given the minimal price differential between S3 and 184 sline quattro, my guess is the second. Not very helpful I know but...

Wait a while and perhaps Audi will fill this gap?

Interestingly this is what the US get (cutout from US A3 Sedan brochure), which is a 2 litre petrol at 220BHP. Wouldn't be surprised if we don't get it soon.

US A3 spec

Interestingly this is what the US get (cutout from US A3 Sedan brochure), which is a 2 litre petrol at 220BHP. Wouldn't be surprised if we don't get it soon.

I was wondering if VAG had some marketing strategy and were trying to avoid Audi having a GTI equivalent.

For example: we also looked at an SE Golf. Then decided that the difference was only about £1k. So why not have the Audi! Even the Seat worked out at well over £20k. Unless the Golf and Seat worked out a lot cheaper, why would you buy one?

I was wondering if VAG had some marketing strategy and were trying to avoid Audi having a GTI equivalent.

For example: we also looked at an SE Golf. Then decided that the difference was only about £1k. So why not have the Audi! Even the Seat worked out at well over £20k. Unless the Golf and Seat worked out a lot cheaper, why would you buy one?

But the same applies to the Golf R really. I know its a personal thing, but it doesn't look as good, the interior is no where near as nice, and its a VW, and yet its pretty much the same price as the S3. Also there is going to be a Seat Cupra R soon, again with the same engine. So they do compete. I think they'll bring out the 2 litre at some point, but not brand it up in the same way that the Gti is. If you think about it that was what they used to have with the 8P 2 litre engine. Pretty much the same as the Gti, but no special badges etc