S3 Continentals

geefunk1978

Reaction score
Website
www.gtdesignsolutions.com
Anyone else finding that the standard fit Conti's are absolutely shocking on their new S3? My last S3 had Michelin Pilot Sports all round which in my opinion are one of the best tyres you can get.
The Conti's just don't seem to have any grip hardly whether wet or dry. I came off a roundabout yesterday and booted it in 3rd and the car was sliding around like it was on ice. My last S3 would've just gripped on gone.
I thought Conti's were meant to be premium tyres, always seem to get good reviews so what are these people on!?!

I've noticed my factory fit continentals have poor grip from a standing start

Clearly don't have the S3's power, but mine grip pretty well when cornering but are ****** awful from a standing start.

My fronts are due for replacement soon at around 20k miles and will be going for Goodyear F1 Eagle ASY2.

Don't forget it's pretty cold still and below a certain temperature summer tyres aren't performing under their full potential.

Reactions: 45bvtc and Faizel
Our S3 has Contis . Have had good experience with them on other Audi Quattro A/S5) but not S3 yet. Michelin are great tyres and will be top of my list at replacement.

Last edited:
Mine is the same. I have never rated Contis in any form, had them on my Focus ST(225) and my focus RS and they were shocking there too. They might be good on an eco box but they are not a high performance tyre.....only 5mm to go before I can go get some goodyears.....

There have been threads about issues with these tyres before. I don't have an S3, but my major issue with them is the level of road noise.

Maybe this is a reason why some of the road test reviews of the new S3 aren't great from some magazines. Different story if it actually had some high performance rubber on. Can't wait to get some lightweight 19's with Pilot Super Sports, it'll be a different car.

Reactions: d8ean
I think they're ok, will probs go for Micheline PS3s when it comes to change but only out if brand loyalty.

Does it really make that much if a difference in a 300bhp 4WD car?

[QUOTE

Does it really make that much if a difference in a 300bhp 4WD car?[/QUOTE]

That's irrelevant, at the end of the day tyres are the only thing between the car and the road so tyres make a massive difference no matter what car it is. Hence I'd never buy budget tyres.

Reactions: JohnM100
I think they're ok, will probs go for Micheline PS3s when it comes to change but only out if brand loyalty.

Does it really make that much if a difference in a 300bhp 4WD car?

Yes it does - good tyres get you round corners, 300 bhp and quattro get you off the line.

I have PS3s on my current A3, I'll be replacing the tyres on my S3 with the same once they're worn I should think.

There not great will be getting some pss in the spring regardless if there worn out or not.

Interesting you made this point about the Contis. My last Audi (TT) had bridgestones supplied when I bought them. Good grip, but shocking wear, I had to change them at about 14K. The contis I find wear very well..

Interesting you made this point about the Contis. My last Audi (TT) had bridgestones supplied when I bought them. Good grip, but shocking wear, I had to change them at about 14K. The contis I find wear very well..

14k? That is very good for a set of tyres I'd say. I usually get about 10k (except when i had my cayman S which needed back tyres every 6k!!)

I'm hoping the contis don't wear that well. The sooner they are gone the better.

I had 16-18K out of the contis on the TT. (Having said that though, it is a lighter car.. )

I never got on with Conti's on my 8P. As soon as I changed them to Goodyear the car felt better balanced and predictable. The MPS's were also fantastic but I found they had a horrible drone on those grey cement topped motorway / dual carriageways when partially worn. MPS best on the track, Goodyears best all rounder, Uniroyal best in the wet for my driving style.

14k? That is very good for a set of tyres I'd say. I usually get about 10k (except when i had my cayman S which needed back tyres every 6k!!)

I'm hoping the contis don't wear that well. The sooner they are gone the better.

My 8P Sportback came from the factory with Hankook Ventis S1 evo tyres from the factory and my first front pair lasted to 19k and the rear pair to 24k. I must admit I like them very much, good grip and very quiet. So much so that if the 8V I have on order come with Contis for example, I will change then straight away to the Hankooks. Hankooks are not that well known in the UK but are used a lot in Germany and get good ratings from German car mags.

My old car, low power and petrol, but the tyres on it lasted 45k...

My 8P Sportback came from the factory with Hankook Ventis S1 evo tyres from the factory and my first front pair lasted to 19k and the rear pair to 24k. I must admit I like them very much, good grip and very quiet. So much so that if the 8V I have on order come with Contis for example, I will change then straight away to the Hankooks. Hankooks are not that well known in the UK but are used a lot in Germany and get good ratings from German car mags.

The OP is enquiring about S3 and specifically Continental tyres... my old bike has Dunlops but not sure that's relevant. ;-)

Reactions: nervus
Am I the only one that got Dunlop Sportmaxx RT?

BGS; I have to ask you this as I'm intrigued. Your car has a fantastic spec, did you manage to get any discount on it from the dealer as it must be North of £35k OTR?

BGS; I have to ask you this as I'm intrigued. Your car has a fantastic spec, did you manage to get any discount on it from the dealer as it must be North of £35k OTR?

Tis a lease through a scheme at work. My monthly payments cover the car, mot, servicing and insurance and are taken out of my salary before tax etc so I effectively get a 22% discount on them. Just need to whack fuel in it now and then. Oh and no deposit required. I think the OTR price was just shy of 39k. I has it for three years and swaps it in for a new whatever I fancy in 2017.

Only down side is that it is a green car scheme so restricted by emissions on what car you can get. Would have been an S3 otherwise.

Edit: Quite right PA, apologies for the off topic.

Last edited:
Come on guys back on topic eh... we're on S3's and Continental tyres.. ;-) (smiley!!)

Reactions: warren_S5
Anyone else finding that the standard fit Conti's are absolutely shocking on their new S3? My last S3 had Michelin Pilot Sports all round which in my opinion are one of the best tyres you can get.
The Conti's just don't seem to have any grip hardly whether wet or dry. I came off a roundabout yesterday and booted it in 3rd and the car was sliding around like it was on ice. My last S3 would've just gripped on gone.
I thought Conti's were meant to be premium tyres, always seem to get good reviews so what are these people on!?!

My mate had his S3 in a 4 wheel drift in the rain and said the dash was like a f---kin Christmas tree and then he was goin straight and controlled again. Modern electronics hey, Aid for poor drivers ABS, ESP etc.

Apart from the ESP system coming on What other lights could be flashing?

Turn the esp off. Simples.

Yeh but you have to be a good driver if your pushing the moderately powered S3 to its limit.

I have driven Trucks that are more lively than an S3 in the past. You wanna try a 7 ton tractor with over a 1100 PS on tap and no electronic aids to get you out of trouble.

I've had plenty of practice in 4wd cars, had a few Subaru's and a few Quattro's now. I love them, there's no quicker way of covering ground! Just need decent tyres and a bit more poke now to make it perfect!

Reactions: nervus and PilotAudi
Yes, they are totally crap. Cant wait to get some Goodyear F1's on it.

BGS.. what do you think of the Sportmass RT's, thinking of getting some myself :yum:

Had them on the 8P same size and thought they were great, and cheap too at £102.50 a corner all in... Well £450 for 4 and a £40 fuel voucher!

Have only done 100 miles on Contis today and they seemed fine to me, although still 'running in' ;-0

Ditto - I'm not finding the Conti 5s a problem

You joking? They offer poor edge grip and no feel. Also they are poor in the wet. Other tires (Goodyear F1s, PSP3, PSP etc) are in a different postcode.

Reactions: veeeight
Ok - I haven't driven them in the wet as yet but I didn't think the dry performace was bad at all, but I haven't been on a really spirited drive yet (tomorrow probably).

Ok - I haven't driven them in the wet as yet but I didn't think the dry performace was bad at all, but I haven't been on a really spirited drive yet (tomorrow probably).

Will need to watch this. Had Contis on a 5 that were fine and they seem ok do far on S3...But it's been dry and + 10 c.

Reactions: swbtz10