VAG CAR CODING
Site Sponsor
VCDS Map User
VAG Can Professional
ODIS (Offboard Diagnostic System)
Reaction score
Website
vagcarcoding.com
Was wondering if anyone has done something like this or have any ideas?

About four weeks back four cars and a van got broken in to where I live, all in the same night. Not had anyone take a pop at mine yet but while I love my Audi's I have always hated the Alarm LEDs which Audi fits and would like something better to try and prevent the opportunists.

My 8P had a very dim red LED which you could never really see but I managed to change this out for a super bright blue LED, and being located in the middle of the dash it could be seen by all during the day and night. A very fast and simple mod. Trading up to my new Saloon I was pleased that the red LED is not covered / diffused by a frosted dark bit of plastic and can be seen a little better but over all I would like an LED with a wider field of vision, to be super bright and to be better placed within the car.

Have already looked / tried to change the red to a blue LED and failed. The LED unit (red LED and flashing board) is sealed and cannot be opened without destroying it. Don't try to lift the LED mount / grommet out of the door card as the LED unit is bigger than the hole and is held up by the mount, it clips in, and it will drop in to the door. You will need to have the door card off to fix.

Then I thought about moving said LED to the dash but that seems like a lot of work and would leave a hole in the door card.

So what I am thinking about doing now is wiring up a flashing super bright blue LED to a switched live and putting it in place of the red, while relocating the red lower down the door card. Was also thinking to drill a hole and mount another on the passenger door. My problem is that I have no idea where to source the switched live and also I was wondering if the car will throw up any errors after having two more bits installed into it, extra power use etc etc...

Surely you want it to be attached to the permanent live... and only on when the switched live is off, or something? If you had it on the switched live, it'd only be on flashing away while you were driving and not when it was off!

Reactions: DJAlix
I don't really think a super bright flashing LED would deter thieves. They'll know that an Audi is alarmed. If they want something in your car / to have a look, they'll do it anyway. A better deterrent would be cameras etc on your property IMO.

Reactions: warren_S5 and DJAlix
If a thieve really wants something from your car, they would get it at all cost. Like what Scott mentioned above, anything to deterrent like Cameras, trackers or even simply not to have your car keys visible on the hall table would be a good step.

I've read horror stories where thieves would confront the home owners and demand the car keys, its from there where you would go. Give them the keys or resist.

Reactions: DJAlix
Know what you mean guys, nothing is gonna stop someone who really wants in and if faced with someone wanting the keys while standing in my flat then they can have them and it will be new car time.

I live at the end of a very quite private road, only one way in / out for cars but it has an alleyway out to the next street for "on foot" access. People like to knock around and chill out here sometime cus it's away from sight. Would love to throw a camera or two up but it's not an option where I am. Enhancing / changing the LED's is purely to try and keep the opportunists away.

Surely you want it to be attached to the permanent live... and only on when the switched live is off, or something? If you had it on the switched live, it'd only be on flashing away while you were driving and not when it was off!

hehe Yer I guess so... hence why I popped on here for some guidance :)

I've read horror stories where thieves would confront the home owners and demand the car keys, its from there where you would go. Give them the keys or resist.

Boot them hard in the chest, shut the door and call the cops probably!

Plenty of police forces and motoring organisations offer advice on this. I've never seen them recommend a brighter LED though.

Don't leave anything on show inside the vehicle. Don't leave any evidence of a portable sat nav either - not even a ring mark on the windscreen. If you're really paranoid, then empty the glovebox and leave it open so they can see it's empty.

Better lighting and/or CCTV where you park would help too, but I understand isn't always an option.

I would have thought that a non-standard light would suggest you've something valuable in the car that you want to hide or protect. Either that or a thief could see it as a challenge. Anyone with any knowledge of modern cars would also know that the car has a alarm anyway. Some people leave their cars under street lamps thinking that no-ne would want to break into a car that was lit up, but all it does is provide light for them to go about their work.

Surely the existing security setup of your car and the location it is kept overnight are taken into account when you insure it?

I'd go with the advice given above - why complicate or advertise things!

Cheers, Paul.

Reactions: BGS
Wouldn't filling the inside of your car up with flashing LED's make it look like the inside of R2D2 and with all the holes a bit like a colander as well?

Reactions: Scott