• 1 Post By Redgrouse
  • 1 Post By Ruthus_1
  • 1 Post By viperfire
  • 1 Post By Larf1986

Thread: Glacier White. Chavvy/Tacky Or not

Reverse Gear

Status

Post Glacier White. Chavvy/Tacky Or not

Recently I've been talking to people about car colours and when I tell people I've ordered a white A3 they all seem to scoff and say how its a Fad, and how white cars are chavy what is the general opinion on white cars here?

Note: It is mostly older people that say they're chavy, so I'd be interested in peoples thoughts on this forum and their age . I'm only 20 and I think they look great.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    Maybe jealousy? More to the point, who cares what other people think, if you like the colour then thats what counts.
    steeve, BGS, lloydie1994 and 1 others like this.
    2014 - S3 3dr S-tronic, Glacier White, Black styling pack, Advanced key, Super sports seats, LED headlights, Interior lighting package, B&O system, Tech pack, Comfort pack, reversing camera, Cruise control, Light and rain sensor, Parking system plus, Privacy Glass.

1st Gear

Status
    They do look great when they are clean and on an expensive car, not on a dirty white Nissan micra. Having said that I do think it's a fashion thing and will be less cool in a few years.
    Audi A3 Sportback S line 1.8 TFSI S tronic - Scuba Blue
    Technology package - High with Audi Connect/Interior lighting package/Driver assistance package/Light and rain sensor package/Adaptive Xenon Plus headlights with variable range control/Advanced key/Aluminum roof rails/Audi pre sense/Auto-dimming rear-view mirror/Bang & Olufsen/Door mirrors-dimming, electrically adjustable,folding and heated/Heated seats/Audi side assist/Audi active lane assist/Rear side airbags/Tyre pressure loss indicator

5th Gear

Status
    Easier to keep clean than black cars, also I think on the A3 that white really shows off and contrasts the black details in the front grill. Be prepared to get 1000 different answers to your question, as effectively you've just asked "what's your favourite colour".... everyone will have their opinion!

Personally I don't think white looks tacky or chavvy on any Audi.
    2013 8V Glacier White A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI S-line Mnaual
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

Neutral

Status
    White cars are very nice! Don't let peoples s̶t̶u̶p̶i̶d̶ opinions deter you from YOUR choice. If you like white go for white!

Also if you get fed up of the colour you can always have it vinyl wrapped! (saves the paint work too)
    Scotty2011 likes this.
    Ordered (build week 14): Audi A3 SportBack S-Line 1.4 COD, Phantom Black, Comfort Pack, Parking Plus, Transformer Door Mirrors, Technology Pack, Bang & Olufsen
    Current: Audi A1 S-Line 1.6 TDI Daytona Racing Grey, Comfort Pack, Door Mirrors, Stone Chips, Small dent, dead squirrel

1st Gear

Status
    Balmedie(next to Donald Trump's Controversial Golf Course), Aberdeenshire, Scotland
    Glacier White looks fab with the contrasting Grill...as long as you keep it free of Tar and such like
    Now driving: A3 8V Sportback in Glacier White. 1.4 TFSI SE

Interior Light Pack
    Interior Aluminium Elements
    Upgraded 17" Alloys

Free DAB as standard as of April 2013 sure was!!
    Cheerio: 2.0 TDCI Zetec Mondeo (should have been a good car but hasn't )

1st Gear

Status
    I'm 27 and think it makes my a3 look young but due to fabulousness of the car it doesn't look chavy but not like an old mans car!
    I am now the very very proud owner of an A3 Sportback S-line 2.0 TDI Glacier white - panoramic sunroof and privacy glass!

See ya Polo!!!!!!!!!!

Neutral

Status
    I've ordered Arctic White; I think it makes the lights and black grill standout more. It's either white or Grey for me. But as always every choice is a personal opinion and you shouldn't listen to others.

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Visit Andy1608's Youtube Channel
    Colour is and always will be a personal choice. You will always get people who love it and hate it. I wouldn't say it was chavvy at all though.

Neutral

Status
    Ive had white cars for around the last 12 years, so long before they came common! but i must admit i think my current car will be the last car i have in white, i still think the colour looks good but its just been done to death now? or maybe im just bored of it!

I wouldnt say its a Chav colour, i think people forget how the word Chav came about and just use it now for whatever.
    Ruthus_1 likes this.
    B8 S4 supercharged goodness..

Reverse Gear

Status
    News to me that white is chavy - lots of white cars around where I live and its not chavsville. It does seem to be the new silver which eveyone was ordering a few years back,as like all things fashions do come and go. However, its certainly not a crazy colour so should stand test of time if you look after it. I've gone phantom black but was tempted by the white

1st Gear

Status
    I've ordered the glacier white, not chavvy at all IMO
    Scotty2011 likes this.

6th Gear

Status
    White on the right car can look great . Not my choice. Reckon Silver is more of an old persons colour. My Dad wanted a silver polo but mum wouldn't let him as neighbours had a silver Honda Jazz! Seems a lot of 'coffin dodgers' (police term ) cars are silver. Shane really as that too can look good but is not the best to repair and panel gaps are critical as they show up black.
    SOLD 0201204 8P March 2011 Black Edition 2.0Tdi170 Sportback quattro..lots of bits... Others in the Garage......
    Arrived 1 March 2014 ..Phantom 2014 8V S3 Sportback. lots of bits, Pano roof, Tech Pack.TPMS, WOW ;-)

1st Gear

Status
    My current ibiza fr is white and I get some nice comments about it,

Neutral

Status
    Glacier White is certainly not chavvy, no colour really makes a car chavvy, Aftermarket body kits, Sh**ty loud exhaust and, arch scraping alloys and lows are what make cars chavvy. The number of 106's, saxos, clios and fiestas down here that the police and vosa would have a field day on is laughable. I very quickly moved away from that scene, i too am only 20 one of my friends described my new car with white as a panty dropper. lol
    2014 Audi A3 1.4 TFSI S Line Glacier White

5th Gear

Status
    I've had 2 white cars. An Ibis 8P A3 and a Candy Golf GTI. Back in 2008/9 when I bought my A3, people were saying the same thing. "It will be less cool in a few years" - here we are 5 years later, and it's still as popular as ever!

1st Gear

Status
    My neighbour has a white Corsa VXR - I've only seen it clean once - it did look quite nice, but since then it's always been muddy grey.

If you love washing your car - go for it

Neutral

Status
    Here's my white A3. Don't think it looks chavvy and I'm over 20!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pedro61163; 17th February 2014 at 20:52.
    Ruthus_1 and BGS like this.

2nd Gear

Status
    White's a good colour on a three door I think.
    Sportback, good with black pack and dark wheel selection.
    Saloon in white will look like a taxi.
    BGS likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    I've gone for Amalfi White. I'm only 28 so guess still in that young'un stage of my life where I call it "gangster white". Amalfi has a creamy colour and many people I know have mistaken it for a metallic colour so didn't really see the point in paying for Glacier.

I have a Black Edition A1 at the moment in Amalfi white and it does get a lot of compliments. I also find because its a solid colour it's very easy to repair any stone chips etc.

I think white suits the A3 really well so think its a great choice! It's not a fad either as I remember when the Mk5 GTI came out White was the new black and that was 9 years ago!!
    A1 1.4 TFSI Black Edition (185) S-Tronic with paddles - Amalfi White with lots of options.

Ordered - S3 Sportback S-Tronic
    - Amalfi White, Comfort Pack, LED headlights, LED interior lights, High-beam assist, hill hold assist, privacy glass, mono-pur, folding mirrors, TPMS, Audi sound system and black Alacantra. Build week 16. Early May delivery (hopefully). The wait is getting boring now......

Reverse Gear

Status
    I've just ordered an A3 S Line in Glacier White. I'm 42 and a practising barrister. I'm happy to be chav-tastic! I currently own a phantom black A4 cabriolet and previously had a phantom black A3 quattro. They get too dirty too easily.

PS I've been following the forum for a while but this is my first post and I am glad to support fellow would-be chavs
    Ruthus_1 likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    Good colour choice redgrouse when clean and sparkly your car will be a head turner! Make sure you play your happy hard core so you live up to the chav name ha ha ha!
    Redgrouse likes this.
    I am now the very very proud owner of an A3 Sportback S-line 2.0 TDI Glacier white - panoramic sunroof and privacy glass!

See ya Polo!!!!!!!!!!

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyosung View Post
    Recently I've been talking to people about car colours and when I tell people I've ordered a white A3 they all seem to scoff and say how its a Fad, and how white cars are chavy what is the general opinion on white cars here?

Note: It is mostly older people that say they're chavy, so I'd be interested in peoples thoughts on this forum and their age . I'm only 20 and I think they look great.
    ive seen a white s3 sportback glacier white with pano roof and it looked great, but I wanted a red car
    Audi S3, Misano red, Stronic, ACC, Tech pack with Audi Connect, Comfort pack with park assist plus, though-load, aluminium roof bars, B&O, Led lights, Folding mirrors, Interior led lights, Hold assist, High beam assist, Pano roof, Privacy glass, Electric lumbar support

2nd Gear

Status

I'm 54 and have just bought a Glacier White S5, White is a classic colour and will never date like some of the more unusual colours.

Status
    I don't think white looks chavvy. I do think it's at its best when there is a black sky roof or accents, but still a good colour
    Audi S3 Panther Black [2011] Build Thread
    Mods: Revo Stg2, Blueflame TBE, Eibach Pro springs, R8 oil cap

On order: Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition, Phantom Black [Due 26 May 2014]

Planned Mods: Revo Stg1+ with DSG map, Revo CAI, custom exhaust, H&R Trax spacers, EM Tuning LED interior lights, R8 oil cap, Porsche coolant & brake fluid cap

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by pedro61163 View Post
    Here's my white A3. Don't think it looks chavvy and I'm over 20!!
    That's mine ha ha

See ya Polo!!!!!!!!!!

1st Gear

Status

It's a new Audi so not chav y in the slightest. It's not a ****ing vauxhall man lol!
    lloydie1994 likes this.
    1.4 TFSI 122ps A3 SportBack. Comfort pack, Audi sound system, Daytona grey, SD Sat Nav, S line trim. Love it!

1st Gear

Status
    Do it ! glacier white is a beautiful colour, it really brings out the sharp lines on the 8v - i am 21 though but its all down to personal preference.

My previous car was dolphin grey and always wish i had a white car so had to get it out of my system and its safe to say i would probly have another white car next.
    DSC_0123.jpg
    Previous Car - Audi A3 8P Sportback in lava grey.. 2.0 170 S-Line
    Auto lights & wipers, Leathers, Auto-dim Mirror, Bluetooth, IPod Dock

Current car
    - Audi A3 8V Hatchback in glacier white.. 2.0 150 S-Line
    Privacy glass, Satnav, Audi Sound System, S-Line Suspension
    Ordered 15/6/13 .. Build week 47 .. Picked up 6/12/13

Reverse Gear

Status
    Glacier White A3 Saloon checking in ................ also 28 and wouldnt consider myself a chav!
    grantDUBshaw likes this.

3rd Gear

Status
    I'm retired and elderly but I have a Glacier white A3. It looks stunning.
    I always think that white is an easy colour to keep. The odd stone chip is unavoidable and with darker cars you get that little white spot on each (should you be daft enough to use polish). Where as with a white car they are so easy to touch up and are almost invisible. White looks clean and fresh.

But once again its a choice thing, you're choice. White cars are very popular (some would say common) but I had my first white car in 1981 so it's hardly a new thing.
    Steeve

Neutral

Status
    White is great when you come up behind somebody in the outside lane they always move over

Mjs
    Reverse Gear

Status
    White does look super cool, especially with privacy glass. That said, it's not for me. I ordered Daytona Grey, prefer grey or black on a car, just a personal preference.