EM TuningVolks Autos
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Anyone with S-Tronic miss a manual?

2nd Gear

Status
    I have STronic and love it but have to agree with GBoF & RoyalSteve that I find parking in awkward spaces is easier in an manual.

John.
    Enjoying my 8V

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Mine will go as slow as I want, I think parking is actually easier, it chugs back on the tickover and you only need to adjust brake pressure to suit, only one foot needed which is much easier on the back whilst performing tight space contortions!

4th Gear

Status
    The Autocar video is a little flawed, in that the DSG car is a three door and the manual is a heavier five door. But even with that in mind the 0 to 60 time would still be better.

I've driven both and like every one on here will have a personal preference. That doesn't mean either view is wrong. For me it would be a manual every time, but if I worked in town or did a lot of in traffic driving then I'd probably pick a DSG
    Steeve

Meow.

Status
    Don't miss manual at all.

Also find parking with DSG a piece of piss.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam. View Post
    Don't miss manual at all.

Also find parking with DSG a piece of piss.
    Parking on your empty back yard?

Still, having the clutch enough pressed just about for pull pressure brings the driver to a level of control one never can experience in a auto. As a benefit and without further due, you may also use gravity at any moment in the parking process. But most people perhaps use their parking systems anyway these days.. However, parking in tight spaces is a skill that needs to be trained on and then maintained, I myself don't have any intention to lose that skill.
    Previous: Audi A3, 2.0 tdi sport 2010 lava grey
    Current (since April-14): Audi A3 SB 5d, 2.0 tdi sport, 150 bhp, quattro, manual gear box, Monsoon grey, 17 inch tyres, detachable towbar, radio controlled diesel heater (expensive!), B&O, adaptive xenon light, eletric lumbar control, tyre pressure control, aluminium roof rails, ACC, connectivity package, rear parking assist, light & rain assist, interior light package, exterior glossy package. Heated mirrors and seats - standard in (Sweden).

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevieb2905 View Post
    Mine will go as slow as I want, I think parking is actually easier, it chugs back on the tickover and you only need to adjust brake pressure to suit, only one foot needed which is much easier on the back whilst performing tight space contortions!
    Ditto. Parking is easier (parking a car is simple enough, it's not some kind of black art!) with an auto box, end of. Fannying around with the clutch and so on ... come on..! I find people with a manual will always try to defend their choice of gear box when the auto debate ensues. I was no different at one time. A modern double clutch does EVERYTHING better than a manual, with one exception, it's not as much 'fun'.
    Last edited by SilureMark; 2nd April 2014 at 13:34.
    S3 Misano Red | s tronic | super sport seats | black styling pack|10 spoke matt titanium alloys | privacy glass|technology pack high with mobile | audi sound system | through load | light & rain sensor pack | rear parking sensors | electric folding mirrors | tyre pressure monitoring | non smoking pack | registered 06/06/2014

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SilureMark View Post
    Ditto. Parking is easier (parking a car is simple enough, it's not some kind of black art!) with an auto box, end of. Fannying around with the clutch and so on ... come on..! I find people with a manual will always try to defend their choice of gear box when the auto debate ensues. I was no different at one time. A modern double clutch does EVERYTHING better than a manual, with one exception, it's not as much 'fun'.
    Probably.
    And for me the S3 will be a fun car and not for commuting/driving in town etc so manual for me but this is totally why Audi give us the choice. For me I think a manual gives the user more ultimate control (and yes fun) but I totally appreciate how good the DSG is as an auto. The next step for autos is knowing where the car is and the road ahead and changing gear in advance (like the new Bentley) which shows the current autos aren't yet as good as the human eye when anticipating scenarios.............but of course then you select the gear in advance............
    As I said before when I tested the DSG I deliberately looked to find any flaws and for me I did but that maybe just me.
    Last edited by msdmjb; 2nd April 2014 at 14:24.

Meow.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatBallsofFire View Post
    Parking on your empty back yard?
    No.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SilureMark View Post
    I find people with a manual will always try to defend their choice of gear box when the auto debate ensues.
    I think it's because they get sick and tired of reading post after post after post of isn't S-Tronic just the best thing ever in the land bar none (until it breaks / requires an upgraded clutch after modifying / starts vibrating or making odd noises etc....). In the last 'vs.' thread we had a bloke posting from one of the scandinavian countries that said emphatically that manual was a better system in their country in the road conditions they have (e.g. proving there are places where manual is still relevant).

I've got an S-Tronic boxed car coming, and I'm so-so about it, but not particularly excited. I'm going to give it a shot and see how it grabs me, but I don't intend to become the S-Tronic evangelist and start ramming it down everyone's throat even if I do find it to be a better everyday alternative. I will still respect people's opinion to personal choice and preference. There are too many S-Tronic owners on a crusade to play the 'our system is best, and anyone who believes anything else is backward or poor' card.

It's becoming more boring than the performance diesel vs. petrol threads of yesteryear....!
    h5djr, Derbz, cuke2u and 2 others like this.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by warren_S3 View Post
    I think it's because they get sick and tired of reading post after post after post of isn't S-Tronic just the best thing ever in the land bar none (until it breaks / requires an upgraded clutch after modifying / starts vibrating or making odd noises etc....). In the last 'vs.' thread we had a bloke posting from one of the scandinavian countries that said emphatically that manual was a better system in their country in the road conditions they have (e.g. proving there are places where manual is still relevant).

I've got an S-Tronic boxed car coming, and I'm so-so about it, but not particularly excited. I'm going to give it a shot and see how it grabs me, but I don't intend to become the S-Tronic evangelist and start ramming it down everyone's throat even if I do find it to be a better everyday alternative. I will still respect people's opinion to personal choice and preference. There are too many S-Tronic owners on a crusade to play the 'our system is best, and anyone who believes anything else is backward or poor' card.

It's becoming more boring than the performance diesel vs. petrol threads of yesteryear....!
    What a great idea....now an S-Tronic-Petrol...that is so much better than a manual-Diesel!

I refuse to accept any views to the contrary, its black and white for me, and if anyone disagrees, they should be shot.

Maybe I should start a new thread on that...

S3 Saloon S-Tronic. Panther Black. Tech Pack, Super-sports seats, LED Lights, Comfort pack with Adaptive Cruise and parking plus, Folding mirrors, Bang and Olufsen Sound System, Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy glass, Tyre sensor, Boot Mat (Countdown Thread)

Previously 2.0TSi VW Scirocco

3rd Gear

Status
    Maybe we should close this thread off. I was the OP, and it was never meant to be an Stron Vs manual thread, as I value each, more about whether Stron drivers missed elements of manual gearbox driving, to allay some fears about me switching from one to the other.

All in all the dicsussion has helped me conclude that I should look forward to my Stron S3 and aim to get a manual Caterham Roadsport for the Sunday drives to get the best of both worlds.

Thanks for all the input
    S3 Saloon S-Tronic. Panther Black. Tech Pack, Super-sports seats, LED Lights, Comfort pack with Adaptive Cruise and parking plus, Folding mirrors, Bang and Olufsen Sound System, Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Privacy glass, Tyre sensor, Boot Mat (Countdown Thread)

Previously 2.0TSi VW Scirocco

Status
    Your wish is my command ;-)
    Joetidman likes this.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123