Sky InsuranceEM Tuning
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By madrussa

Thread: Which SD card for music?

1st Gear

Status

Which SD card for music?

Does any clever audiophile person out there know which SD card is best for music storage and use with a B&O? There are all sorts of different types of SD out there with different speeds and classes and wotnot and I haven't got a clue which to go for. Do I need a 'HC' card and is there any benefit getting a higher Class rating if it's just for music storage? E.g. There's no point spending 50 notes on a Sandisk SDHC Class10 when a standard Tesco SD Class 1 will do just as well!... I intend to store Lossless files for maximum quality so will probably have to go for a 64 gig card. Thanks very much in anticipation...

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    SDHC stands for Secure Digital High Capacity and enables SD cards to support over 4GB up to 32GB. You'll actually need a SDXC for a 64GB card... if a SDHC card specifies 64GB then it's not conforming to standards and may not work.

You'll be mostly interested in the class of the SD card. There are 6 classes to choose from 2, 4, 6, 10, U1 and U3. Each has a different speed for different purposes. Considering that you can record video on a class 2 card and video bitrates are higher than audio you are normally good for using that for most audio. Generally the lower class are usually made by less considered companies trying to make a buck and would not last quite as well. Also the lower classes will take much longer to copy your audio to. Most class 10s are pretty reasonable price wise these days and give you good copy speeds. You may find it difficult to locate a lower class 64GB card.

Hopefully that gives you enough information to make your decision.
    h5djr likes this.
    Audi A3 SportBack S-Line 1.4 COD, Phantom Black, Comfort Pack, Parking Plus, Transformer Door Mirrors, Technology Pack, Bang & Olufsen

Neutral

Status
    I found a 64GB card for £24. Integral are usually good.
    Integral 64GB Ultima Pro SDXC 40 MB/s - Class 10: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
    Audi A3 SportBack S-Line 1.4 COD, Phantom Black, Comfort Pack, Parking Plus, Transformer Door Mirrors, Technology Pack, Bang & Olufsen

1st Gear

Status
    That's great guys - thanks very much for the input. I wish I was more cleverer! ;-)