1.6 8P to 1.2 TFSI 8V

DaveW

Reaction score
Hi folks, the wife has booked a test drive next Saturday of a 1.2 TFSI Sportback, she currently has an 8P 1.6 Technik Sportback. She is hoping to get the "Sport" spec. I was wondering if anyone else here had made a similar change and could offer and advice/comparison between these models.
Thanks,
Dave

Hi folks, the wife has booked a test drive next Saturday of a 1.2 TFSI Sportback, she currently has an 8P 1.6 Technik Sportback. She is hoping to get the "Sport" spec. I was wondering if anyone else here had made a similar change and could offer and advice/comparison between these models.
Thanks,
Dave
Ordered the SE ,as did my Audi Service manager!Apparently is more than enough for most people.

Congratulations, borrowed a 1.2 Cab in the summer, amazingly nippy little engine.

Re the SE and Sport.. It is all down to preference, the Sport seats are so much more supportive IMHO and you get other nice bits of kit too as the brochure says inc Climate.

Sport normally works out cheapest if you would be speccing Climate Control, 17" wheels, etc. anyway.

Sport normally works out cheapest if you would be speccing Climate Control, 17" wheels, etc. anyway.

If you add the options of 17" wheels, dual-zone climate control, Drive select etc the price of the SE comes to about the same as the Sport. I have an 8P SE on 17" wheels at the moment, but found the Sports seats more comfortable than those in the SE in the 8V plus you get the 3-spoke steering wheel and a few other trim items in the Sport that you don't get in the SE. On the 8V you can also choose the 'no cost option' of standard rather than Sport suspension if you prefer a softer (more comfortable) ride even on the 17" wheels.

I think you'll see an improvement official figures suggest an improvement on 0-60 from 12.1 secs to 10.5, which is not insignificant. BHP is very similar but more importantly torque is up from 109 to 129 available much earlier in the rev range (and thus more useful) in a lighter car. With better mpg up from 40 to 57 it's a bit of a no brainer for me!

If you add the options of 17" wheels, dual-zone climate control, Drive select etc the price of the SE comes to about the same as the Sport. I have an 8P SE on 17" wheels at the moment, but found the Sports seats more comfortable than those in the SE in the 8V plus you get the 3-spoke steering wheel and a few other trim items in the Sport that you don't get in the SE. On the 8V you can also choose the 'no cost option' of standard rather than Sport suspension if you prefer a softer (more comfortable) ride even on the 17" wheels.
The 16 inch standard wheel will give the best comfort ,with much the same handling.Some of the other pieces of trim didnt really matter to me,i found the four spoke wheel more attractive than the "sport" version.The air con,i find the manual system easier as there are no buttons to push,only rotary knobs. So ,for me .i was happier with specing up the SE with what i wanted ,rather than working "backwards" by saying the sport has all this included ,which may not possibly be what you actually want.
I did consider the sport,but comfort and a few extras i wanted to add made me go for the SE.
PS,funny thing about "sports" suspension,i remember watching Top Gear a while back,where they used two identical cars,one with lower sports suspension,the other standard. Surprisingly the car with the standard suspension went around the test track faster that the lowered sports suspension....

Last edited: