Newly ordered A3 SB!

TJM22

Reaction score
Excited isn't the word!

Just ordered an A3 SB S-Line in Amalfi White, build week TBC.
I was going to go Glacier white but then saw an Amalfi White one and liked it, so pumped the money for the metallic paint into folding mirrors and interior light pack :icon_thumright:.

Spec as follows:

S-Line suspension
B&O
Comfort Pack
Folding mirrors
Interior light pack

Reactions: warren_S5 and Sandra
Nice spec. Hopefully the wait wont be too long. :) x

Right so now i am thinking of upping it to the 184.... Will Audi still be able to do it? Everything else the same, just 184 instead of 150...

Right so now i am thinking of upping it to the 184.... Will Audi still be able to do it? Everything else the same, just 184 instead of 150...

If you do want to get in touch with the dealer as soon as possible. If you have only just order it there should be no problem. I've just ordered a Sportback 184 s-tronic quattro myself.

Just done it... 22 quid extra per month... quite happy :cool:

Just done it... 22 quid extra per month... quite happy :cool:

Well done. I notice you have a 170 at the moment. When I drove a 150 I found it bit down on torque and power compared to my existing 170 but the 184 was great. Welcome to the 184ers. I only ordered mine last Monday so we will probably get our cars at a similar time.

Yes, welcome to the 184ers! Don't be quite happy, be very happy! £22/month well spent.

Yes, welcome to the 184ers! Don't be quite happy, be very happy! £22/month well spent.

As their is an S3 Register on the forum, perhaps we should start a 184 Register.

Mods could we add one as a 'sticky' please...

Question:

Audi havent offered me alot for my current car (only trade value) looking on autotrader looks like i can get atleast another grand. Should I list it privately a month before delivery and see how it goes?

What would you guys do?

I considered private sale but in the end I couldn't be bothered with the hassle and having all sorts of weirdos and time wasters poking around my car so I was happy to take the financial hit for the ease of PX'ing.

Question:

Audi havent offered me alot for my current car (only trade value) looking on autotrader looks like i can get atleast another grand. Should I list it privately a month before delivery and see how it goes?

What would you guys do?
if you take into account audi contribution plus the extras you should get, like tyre insurance, etc etc its not worth the hassle of selling private TBH.
I tried we buy any car and they offered me nearly £5,000 less than the stealer did plus with the extras have saved about £6,500 going the dealer route.

Is that the manual FWD 184? Or the S-tronic Quattro 184?

I'm still pondering my options. Unfortunately the Quattro boot is too small for my work requirements.

Even though I have an automatic, I would not mind going back to manual as I think they are better for overtaking. If I want an S-tronic and a big boot my only option is 150ps

Does anyone have the 184ps FWD manual? I can't find any reviews for that setup.

I changed my spec from the 150 Manual to the 184 Manual, haven't driven it, ordered on faith, I have driven a S-Tronic 150 which was alright

I changed my spec from the 150 Manual to the 184 Manual, haven't driven it, ordered on faith, I have driven a S-Tronic 150 which was alright

I don't think you will disappointed.

Is that the manual FWD 184? Or the S-tronic Quattro 184?

I'm still pondering my options. Unfortunately the Quattro boot is too small for my work requirements.

Even though I have an automatic, I would not mind going back to manual as I think they are better for overtaking. If I want an S-tronic and a big boot my only option is 150ps

Does anyone have the 184ps FWD manual? I can't find any reviews for that setup.

The difference in the boot is only 100mm in the height, the same as the higher of the two settings in a non-quattro model.

Not sure why you think a manual is better for overtaking. All you have to do in with the s-tronic is click the left paddle once or twice depending on how many gears you want to go down and the accelerate and click the right hand paddle under full power as you pass the other vehicle. A lot more to do with a manual as well as taking your foor off the accelerator to change gear up and down.

I assume by FWD you are meaning Front Wheel Drive, because it could also mean Four Wheel Drive. I have not seen any reviews as yet on any of the 184s.

I am aware the 184ps car is likely to have the same issues as my current 170ps Golf. My car will under steer when accelerating out of roundabouts and other tight bends - especially in the wet. And traction can be an issue out of junctions. Though changing the tyres has helped a lot. I have learned that I cannot just floor the car in the wet. So I just drive accordingly.

Though I think there might be a few advantages for me having the 184ps manual FWD. Boot size, fuel economy and mid range acceleration/pickup/control might all be better.

Hello Daz,
Quick observation/comment from me:

You do know that the S-tronic isn't an auto box?

It's a manual gearbox, with real metal cogs identical to the manual gearbox, but where it differs is that it has 2 automatic friction clutches, so that your next gear is pre-selected, and engaged in under a second.

Very much unlike the traditional auto slushboxes with fluid torque converters. S-tronic is not one of these gearboxes. So response is instantaneous.

Dave - if instantaneous acceleration for overtaking is required, why faff with the paddles? Just mash the throttle into the carpet, past the normal travel, and activate the kick down switch!

edit:
(although I'll concede that it's better road craft to change down first while waiting for a gap, then accelerate past, changing up if necessary. But that's not necessarily the quickest way if an opportunity suddenly presents itself)

Last edited:
Sorry for any confusion... I always read FWD as Front Wheel Drive and RWD as Rear Wheel Drive and 4WD.

The technique you describe for overtaking is exactly the one I usually use. It works even better in S rather than D. I just find there is always a delay when I need to go down 2 gears and the pickup is just not as good/fast/satisfying as selecting the correct gear in a manual.

I sometimes also find myself wondering what exactly the automatic gear box thinks it is doing?

I love my DSG 99% of the time. I just don't like it for fast overtaking. Just my preference.

One concern I do have if I decide to change back to manual is the VAG clutch/dual mass flywheel. My first Golf had several clutches replaced. It was a known fault. Does anyone know if Audi have the same issues with their clutches?

Last edited:
Asking the DSG to drop down two gears is slightly more time consuming then 1 gear, as those 2 gears are likely to be on the same shaft.

So you're in 4th, but want 2nd to overtake, it has to deselect 4th and engage 2nd before clamping the clutch again.

1,3,5 are on Shaft One, 2,4,6 are on Shaft Two. Any gear requested on the same shaft will take a little longer. In a manual, you can drop directly from 4 to 2 :)

The workaround is, as you mentioned, nudge it into S, drop down into the correct gear, then mash the throttle :)

Hello Daz,
Quick observation/comment from me:

You do know that the S-tronic isn't an auto box?

It's a manual gearbox, with real metal cogs identical to the manual gearbox, but where it differs is that it has 2 automatic friction clutches, so that your next gear is pre-selected, and engaged in under a second.

Very much unlike the traditional auto slushboxes with fluid torque converters. S-tronic is not one of these gearboxes. So response is instantaneous.

Dave - if instantaneous acceleration for overtaking is required, why faff with the paddles? Just mash the throttle into the carpet, past the normal travel, and activate the kick down switch!

edit:
(although I'll concede that it's better road craft to change down first while waiting for a gap, then accelerate past, changing up if necessary. But that's not necessarily the quickest way if an opportunity suddenly presents itself)

I agree that the s-tronic is not an auto-box in the normally accepted understand. I always think of it as a manual gearbox with power assisted gear changing with no clutch. I also drive with my s-tronic in manual mode using the paddles mostly but sometimes the stick. I find the change down two gears is as quick as one. A bit like using a computer with a double-click on the mouse!!!

I have only ever used the kick-down switch a couple of times as I find it gives a rather jerky gear change.

Certainly when I drove the 184 s-tronic quattro demonstrators the behaviour going round corners was brilliant. When we called in to home for lunch during one test drive we tried our normal holiday suitcases just to make sure there would be no problems.

Excited isn't the word!

Just ordered an A3 SB S-Line in Amalfi White, build week TBC.
I was going to go Glacier white but then saw an Amalfi White one and liked it, so pumped the money for the metallic paint into folding mirrors and interior light pack :icon_thumright:.
Waiting on an Amalfi A3 1.2 SE sportback.
Spec as follows:Heated seats
Privacy glass
Aluminium interior accents
Aluminium window surrounds
LED Interior pack
Auto wipers and light package
Non smoking delete
Engine technology rear badge delete

Just been to my local dealers where i saw an Amalfi Q3, it looked gorgeous,and stood out against all the other colours inc metallics.
I am hoping the sharper body crease lines on the A3 will also be equally as stunning.Looking pleased at the moment,for choosing this colour.

Last edited:
You wont be disappointed with the manual box, it's a delight to use. You make the choice, what ever you decide isn't wrong.
I tried both the Quattro with stonic and the front wheel drive only manual. I had each for a day and I know which for my driving I preferred.

We were ideally looking for manual quattro diesel but Audi fail to deliver in Uk. So quick fleet reorganisation and S3 manual it is. I can understand auto on big barges or if you have special needs but a small mid range quick hatch is do much more fun with a stick! But no way do I want fwd thanks.

We were ideally looking for manual quattro diesel but Audi fail to deliver in Uk. So quick fleet reorganisation and S3 manual it is. I can understand auto on big barges or if you have special needs but a small mid range quick hatch is do much more fun with a stick! But no way do I want fwd thanks.

I agree the S3 has so much power/torque it definitely requires Quattro!

I have a 170ps engine and very rarely do I find myself struggling for traction. I have never noticed torque steer in the car even in the wet. Though maybe that is due to the smooth power delivers of the DSG?

Do you think that the 184ps diesel has so much more power/torque that it definitely requires Quattro?

We have had several 8p Audi A3 including 200Ps petrol and 170 diesel . In both versions have driven fwd and concluded that quattro is a huge improvement in terms of performance and handling. It's a no brainer as far as I'm concerned quattro every time.

I agree the S3 has so much power/torque it definitely requires Quattro!

I have a 170ps engine and very rarely do I find myself struggling for traction. I have never noticed torque steer in the car even in the wet. Though maybe that is due to the smooth power delivers of the DSG?

Do you think that the 184ps diesel has so much power/torque that it definitely requires Quattro?

I have never had any problems with traction on my 170 s-tronic either but I tried a new 150 and found it a bit lacking in power and torque when compared to the 170 so I decided I wanted a 184. I also would not consider a manual any more so it had to be the 184 s-tronic quattro. Having tried a couple of 184 s-tronic quattros, one on a very wet day and one on a drier day I was sold. I think this will be my 'ultimate car'. Small, comfortable, excellent interior quality, powerful, excellent torque and quattro. What more could I want....

We have had several 8p Audi A3 including 200Ps petrol and 170 diesel . In both versions have driven fwd and concluded that quattro is a huge improvement in terms of performance and handling. It's a no brainer as far as I'm concerned quattro every time.
I'm sure you are right. Unfortunately, I require a big boot so will have to do without Quattro. Though I think for 99.99% of my driving I won't need it.

Edit to add: last week my boot was full to the parcel shelf. I had folding ladders across the back seats - secured with a seat belt. The passenger and rear footwells were full also. Maybe I should be thinking about changing to a van!

Last edited:
Edit to add: last week my boot was full to the parcel shelf. I had folding ladders across the back seats - secured with a seat belt. The passenger and rear footwells were full also. Maybe I should be thinking about changing to a van!

Perhaps roof bars and a roof box would help...

Or perhaps an A4 Avant!!

Roof bars and the relevant various attachments are really fantastic.

Over the years I've had cycle carriers, roof boxes etc etc. Not to mention you can just strap stuff on too.

Well worth the investment IMHO.

Perhaps roof bars and a roof box would help...

Or perhaps an A4 Avant!!

When we went into the Audi dealership the other week, they had an A4 Avant in Estoril Blue on the showroom floor, it did look nice, and very practical for a family with 3 young kids, as it has more rear legroom and headroom being a wagon rather than the sedan (other car we were considering was the S3 Sedan), as in Australia Audi is running the Audi Open Haus promotion were you save on dealer delivery and On Road Cost, but being a showroom car, it had just about all the options ticked, and it would have been $8000 more than the S3 sedan.

The a4 is a very old model and going to be replaced soon. I had one on loan and it drove like a barge. Talk about numb steering. You can pick up a s4 for only £100 more than a s3 as they're practically giving them away...

Been thinking about - do I really need 170 or 184ps?

I stick rigidly to the speed limits as I see too many mobile speed cameras. My work/base is 60 miles away the roads are an equal mix of A, Good B, Bad B and double track country. I travel through 5 villages and 5 towns. There are 3 sets of sleeping policemen and 4 junctions. If I leave at 7am I hope to arrive before 8:30. If I am just 10 minutes late it usually adds 20 minutes to the journey.

I don't want a quick car because I want to drive fast. I want a quick car so I'm not forced to drive slowly. So I have the option to overtake slow moving traffic as quickly and safely as possible. The 0-60 and top speed don't matter to me at all. The things that matters to me are comfort, practicality, economy and 30-70 acceleration. My current Golf GTD is good but does not tick all the boxes. If I choose carefully an A3 might!

Last edited:
You don't need a new car... you need a new house closer to the office or a new job! I used to do a similar commute and destroyed my old Fiesta within a year.

On a serious note, if I were to do the same journey again I'd seriously consider Quattro for when the weather isn't as great. Safety out weighs all other considerings for me. That only gives you the option of a 1.8 TSFI or 2.0 TDI in my opinion.

Reactions: Daz Auto
You can still drive safely in a 2WD car in bad weather....

Of course you can, its all down to the nut that holds on the steering wheel....

Reactions: JohnM100 and TJM22
You can still drive safely in a 2WD car in bad weather....

Yes, yes you can, but I know from my experience that when driving a long commute in the snow I'd rather have the extra control and the extra grip to get up hills and actually make it home. That's definitely my personal opinion and everyones journey is different... but it's still safer in bad weather conditions to drive with all wheel spinning. Especially if the only wheels giving power are the rear.

You don't need a new car... you need a new house closer to the office or a new job! I used to do a similar commute and destroyed my old Fiesta within a year.

On a serious note, if I were to do the same journey again I'd seriously consider Quattro for when the weather isn't as great. Safety out weighs all other considerings for me. That only gives you the option of a 1.8 TSFI or 2.0 TDI in my opinion.
lol - showed that to my wife. She won't move. It's not all bad. I'm often working much closer to home. On better roads.

We both fit winter tyres which are the safest option for winter driving. I have yet to see any articles or videos which suggest otherwise.

Reactions: madrussa
lol - showed that to my wife. She won't move. It's not all bad. I'm often working much closer to home. On better roads.

We both fit winter tyres which are the safest option for winter driving. I have yet to see any articles or videos which suggest otherwise.

The only thing better than winter tyres is four-wheel drive AND winter tyres!

Reactions: snakehips and PilotAudi