1.8 TFSI acceleration

andywil13

Reaction score
How are those with the 1.8 TFSI finding the acceleration. I'm finding 1st gear particularly slow. Pulled out in front of a car and felt like I was driving a 1.0l fiesta or something. Nearly crashed! Dry roads, no wheel spin, no esp light on the dash flashing.

The S-Tronic has a built in delay which causes this. Had it on my old 8P as well as my new 8V. Takes some getting used to but Audi say it's a feature that stops people pulling out on roundabouts etc. Have been able to make it a little better by playing around with the drive select.

The S-Tronic has a built in delay which causes this. Had it on my old 8P as well as my new 8V. Takes some getting used to but Audi say it's a feature that stops people pulling out on roundabouts etc. Have been able to make it a little better by playing around with the drive select.

It wasn't the delay that I was having a problem with, just the amount of time it took to get to the red line /2nd gear

Not experienced that issue myself. I have noticed that the car can pull slower depending on which Drive select mode you are in. Am still playing around as I have only had my 8V for 278 miles but I keep it in Auto for the most part. Efficiency and Comfort do seem a lot slower to me.

Not experienced that issue myself. I have noticed that the car can pull slower depending on which Drive select mode you are in. Am still playing around as I have only had my 8V for 278 miles but I keep it in Auto for the most part. Efficiency and Comfort do seem a lot slower to me.

yea i agree with what you say for Eco/Comfort. They both change gear later giving a smoother drive. Dynamic changes much sooner, giving sometime a slight jerk in the gear change. Auto gives a nice balance.

Im going to look up the 0-30 times etc and do some tests.

Do you notice this from stationary or creeping start?
The only time I find any delay is when pulling out relatively slowly from a creeping start and the gearbox seems to ride the clutch at biting point for a second for a smoother ride.

If I need to start quickly the car bolts and can be at the red line before I know it.

1st gear is really short so surprised it takes a while for your car to accelerate in 1st.

My Drive Select mode is Individual with steering in Dynamic and gearbox/throttle responsiveness set to Auto.

60/40 split between Manual flappy paddle mode and auto gear changes.

John.

I have the Quattro tfsi. Got to be honest, love the car to drive and it's nice on motorways when going 50 upwards but it's by no stretch neck snapping. I'm disappointed with the performance. Although with how smooth it is and how you can't feel the speed as in other cars it deceiving. Pull off can be bad!

Initially my car didn't seem as fast as I'd hoped, but I've come to the conclusion the 1.8 is an engine you have to really rev to get performance out of.

I'm constantly underwhelmed by our mk5 golf gti too - that's 200hp and your 1.8 is what, 184hp? It's quite a lot of metal for that hp to feel exciting.

Initially my car didn't seem as fast as I'd hoped, but I've come to the conclusion the 1.8 is an engine you have to really rev to get performance out of.

I know what you mean Tim. It doesn't have the turbo kick in the back immediately after WOT like some turbo charged cars but as Richyboyp states, part of the reason may be down to the smooth ride, chassis and noise suppression. I used to find I was going much faster than I thought as mine pulls really well - just that it doesn't scream whilst doing it. Agree that the 1.8T comes alive at higher revs and that's where the both the 1.4s run out of puff. Just look at the torque curves.

Also may be worth a look at this thread:
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=200261

John.

John, agreed :)
It does pull well higher up the range.
Did a test tonight on some nice open but bendy country roads. I drive them a lot and normally I'm in auto on drive select. Tonight still in auto I used the paddles (which I always seem to forget about) and it felt so much more perky! Less brakes and more down shifting keeps the revs up and so it feels more on boost and ready to go. So the story I guess is. Driven hard it can be fun :)

Reactions: JohnM100
Just did some testing with the ESC and I think that is the cause of my power problem in 1st gear...

My last A3 was a manual, and under hard acceleration you could always feel the ESC doing something, and get a light on the dash to indication ESC is doing something.

With the new 8V tiptronic it seems to reduce power a lot especially in wet weather. With ESC off then you can see the power is there, but terrible wheel spin (understandable as its raining)

Just seems strange that it can reduce the power before any wheel spin happens, with my 8P you could always tell it was working as you could feel it, but maybe thats the manual/auto difference.

Agree something is different with S-Tronic as I got tyre squeal in the wet this morning with some scrabbling but no ESP light.