Sky InsuranceVolks Autos
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Vertigo1
  • 1 Post By Flibble

Thread: Does this happen on anyone else's car ?

Neutral

Status

Talking Does this happen on anyone else's car ?

Morning everyone

As you all obviously know the weather has been terrible the past few weeks, with pretty much non-stop rain, so this is where I've started to notice something strange happening with my wipers and I'm just wondering if anyone else has this happen on their A3/S3 ?

Basically when I'm driving and I have my wipers are on the normal speed setting (1 stroke a Second) they work fine, but when I come to a halt/stop i.e traffic lights, roundabouts waiting etc... They change to intermittent speed (roughly 1 stroke every 5 seconds) but then change back to normal speed as soon as I set off moving again. Has everyone else noticed this ? or does it look like a trip to the dealers ? Oh I don't have auto-wipers either just in case you think it could be that.

Finny
    Previous Car - Audi A3 (8P) S-Line SB 2.0 TFSI
    Previous Car - Audi A1 S-Line 1.2 TFSI /Xenon Light Pack / 18" 7 Twin Spoke Alloys / Cruise Control.
    Current Car - Audi A3 (8V) S-Line 1.2 TFSI / Glacier White / S-Line Suspension / Interior Light Pack / De-Badged /
    5 Year Warranty
    / Ordered 2nd July 13 / Build Week 36 / Picked Up 20th Sep 13

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    That is standard and was standard on the 8P so am surprised you didn't notice it on that.

Neutral

Status
    Yeah normal, my 8P does it.

5th Gear

Status
    Yes.
    When you come to a stop, the wipers will "reduce" one stage.
    So if you're in speed 2, it will reduce to speed 1
    If you're in speed 1, it will reduce to intermittent.

S3 8V 3DR DSG ACC ABS ADS AMI ASR ASS DAB DBW DIS DRL EBA EBD EDL EGR EPB EPS ESP GPS LED MFSW MMI PDC PSF RAC SDXC TFSI CO2 EEC OTR WTF OMG

Neutral

Status
    Thanks for the replies guys, I feel like such an idiot now after my post haha especially as you've pointed out it's been like that on models for a while, and I'm on my third Audi. I think I must of skipped the wiper page in the manual as we all assume they work the same on every car ha.

Thanks again, the forum is a wealth of knowledge as always

Finny
    Previous Car - Audi A3 (8P) S-Line SB 2.0 TFSI
    Previous Car - Audi A1 S-Line 1.2 TFSI /Xenon Light Pack / 18" 7 Twin Spoke Alloys / Cruise Control.
    Current Car - Audi A3 (8V) S-Line 1.2 TFSI / Glacier White / S-Line Suspension / Interior Light Pack / De-Badged /
    5 Year Warranty
    / Ordered 2nd July 13 / Build Week 36 / Picked Up 20th Sep 13

Born to Fish

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by f1nny View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys, I feel like such an idiot now after my post haha especially as you've pointed out it's been like that on models for a while, and I'm on my third Audi. I think I must of skipped the wiper page in the manual as we all assume they work the same on every car ha.

Thanks again, the forum is a wealth of knowledge as always

Finny
    Dont feel an idiot ! I'm on my 4th A3 and i didn't know the wipers did that !!
    2013 1.4 TFSI S line 8V, Brilliant Red, Cruise Control, DIS, MFSW, Dual Climate, Leather, Front Fogs, 18in 5 Twin Spoke Alloys, Welly, Boot and Fishing Rod Racks.

4th Gear

Status
    You may also notice that if you have your wipers on and select reverse the rear one wipes, but that's not exactly new either
    Steeve

6th Gear

Status
    I find the auto wipers turn their frequency down a bit too much at low speed - eg in a traffic queue or something. Seems fine at speed, but they rate at which they turn down their sensitivity when slowing down is way too much IMO.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

6th Gear

Status
    Other interesting wiper facts you may not know...

1. When you wash/wipe the screen, there are two separate features which attempt to prevent drips/splashes. Firstly, the last downward stroke of the wash/wipe cycle is slightly slower than the rest. Secondly, there is an additional wipe cycle a few seconds later. This second wipe cycle generally only operates when the car is moving.

2. No matter what setting you leave your wipers on when you turn off the ignition, when you next start the car, they will not operate until you move the wiper stalk or the car starts moving at more than a few mph. This is in case they have frozen overnight and to prevent the wiper motor straining against immovable wipers if you forgot to turn them off the previous night
    veeeight, Itguy and s3_trev like this.
    Daytona Grey Audi A3 2.0TDI 150 S-Line with Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Alcantara/Leather seats, B&O sound, DAB radio, Folding/dimming mirrors

3rd Gear

Status
    Thats staggering how you havnt seen that before now Finny....

Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo1 View Post
    Other interesting wiper facts you may not know...

No matter what setting you leave your wipers on when you turn off the ignition, when you next start the car, they will not operate until you move the wiper stalk or the car starts moving at more than a few mph. This is in case they have frozen overnight and to prevent the wiper motor straining against immovable wipers if you forgot to turn them off the previous night
    So thats the logic behind that! Interesting.

Audi S3 8P3 / REVO Stage 1 / REVO Ceramic Intake / NGK Iridium Spark Plugs / LOBA HPFP / Philips Diamond Vision 5000k Fog Light Bulbs /
    KW V3 Coilovers / Team HEKO Wind Deflectors / Bridgestone Potenza S001 92Y Tyres / Complete LED Bulb Conversion (int' + ext') / Ashtray Delete /
    TTS Engine Cover / Alpine 928r Multimedia Station (8in screen) with integrated Bluetooth, Sat Nav etc / Ross-Tech VCDS Owner.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3_trev View Post
    So thats the logic behind that! Interesting.
    Always wondered that myself. I tend to switch them off when I park up as a habit now.
    s3_trev likes this.
    S3 (8V) S-Tronic Estoril Blue; A3 2.0TFSI S-Line quattro, Dolphin Grey [sold]

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    I find the auto wipers turn their frequency down a bit too much at low speed - eg in a traffic queue or something. Seems fine at speed, but they rate at which they turn down their sensitivity when slowing down is way too much IMO.
    Same here, sometimes I think it's not working properly as my windscreen just gets too 'wet' until the next wipe.
    On order (June 2013):
    Audi A3 Sportback Sport 1.4 TFSI, Scuba Blue, Xenon light package, Comfort package, Folding door mirrors & Advance Key
    Confirmed build date early August Built, delivery September for 63 plate, ​collection on 2nd Sept 12pm COLLECTED