• 4 Post By jbs2472
  • 1 Post By jbs2472
  • 1 Post By Daz Auto
  • 2 Post By jbs2472

Thread: Test drove 2 options - order placed

2nd Gear

Status

Test drove 2 options - order placed

I had an all day test drive yesterday - morning (4hrs) was a A3 SB Sport 1.4tfsi 140 COD s-tronic and afternoon (4hrs) was an A3 SB S-line tdi 150 s-tronic, the whole purpose was to test the 1.4 COD s-tronic in either sport or s-line mode, after the mornings ride my wife and myself came to the same conclusion that we hated the sport set up on the 17"s as it felt spongy and noticed the body roll in every corner however the engine is perfect , quiet and responsive enough for all our needs.

With regards to the afternoon test drive the s-line was a peach of a ride it felt planted on the road and more engaging to the point that order has been placed.

Currently driving a A3 SB 2.0 170 s-tronic Black Edition with lot's of options (panny roof, full leather etc) and have ordered the following;

A3 Sportback S-Line 1.4 tfsi 140 COD S-tronic
    Daytona Grey
    Audi Sound System
    Privacy Glass
    Interior Light Pack
    Auto Lights & Wipers
    Chrome Roof Rails
    Non Smokers Pack

Coming from the Bose on the current car we are more than happy with the Audi Sound upgrade and don't feel the need to upgrade to B&O

Current car on PCP so straight swap no deposit outlay and £25 per month cheaper on payments, £85 per year on tax, £15 per month on insurance and cheaper full win win
    rams_s3, Oily Audi, cuke2u and 1 others like this.

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Nice spec and you like be impressed with the Daytona Grey...
    Now a proud owner of a A3 1.4 tfsi Saloon S-Line, 6-speed, Daytona Grey, Technology Pack, Comfort Pack, Cruise, Advanced Key, Privacy Glass, Audi Parking System Plus, Interior Lighting, Folding Door Mirrors, Light & Rain Sensor. Hold Assist.

Quote Originally Posted by jbs2472 View Post
    I had an all day test drive yesterday - morning (4hrs) was a A3 SB Sport 1.4tfsi 140 COD s-tronic and afternoon (4hrs) was an A3 SB S-line tdi 150 s-tronic, the whole purpose was to test the 1.4 COD s-tronic in either sport or s-line mode, after the mornings ride my wife and myself came to the same conclusion that we hated the sport set up on the 17"s as it felt spongy and noticed the body roll in every corner however the engine is perfect , quiet and responsive enough for all our needs.
    Interesting because both my wife and myself found just the opposite. We have test driven both Sport (2.0TDI-150 Sport s-tronic) and S-Line (2.0TDI-184 s-tronic quattro) and didn't like the ride of the S-Line but quite liked the Sport. I have an 8P SE at the moment so it may well be that we are more used to that suspension and we are probably both a lot older than you and your wife! We used to go for a harder ride but now we prefer the comfort of a softer ride especially for our longer journeys. When I place my order it will be for a Sportback 2.0TDI-184 s-tronic quattro with the standard suspension.

What delivery have you been quoted. When I was with my dealer on Friday he checked and the system said 12 weeks.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

6th Gear

Status

With regards to the afternoon test drive the s-line was a peach of a ride it felt planted on the road and more engaging to the point that order has been placed.

Currently driving a A3 SB 2.0 170 s-tronic Black Edition with lot's of options (panny roof, full leather etc) and have ordered the following;

A3 Sportback S-Line 1.4 tfsi 140 COD S-tronic
    Daytona Grey
    Audi Sound System
    Privacy Glass
    Interior Light Pack
    Auto Lights & Wipers
    Chrome Roof Rails
    Non Smokers Pack

Coming from the Bose on the current car we are more than happy with the Audi Sound upgrade and don't feel the need to upgrade to B&O

Current car on PCP so straight swap no deposit outlay and £25 per month cheaper on payments, £85 per year on tax, £15 per month on insurance and cheaper full win win
    Interesting post and a great colour for an A3.

Couple of observations, I suspect that the SLine felt more planted because it had the heavier Diesel motor. We too much prefer the supportive S Line Leather edged seats to the soggier versions but it's all down to taste.

Wondered why you went for No smoke pack. We had this on wife's old 2011 8P Black Edition quattro which gave more storage. all the NSP pack seems to do on 8V is delete the handy smart looking alloy storage box (AKA Ashtray) We plan to remove cigar lighter and insert VAG rechargeable torch.

No Pan Roof on this order eh.. We had a few issues with rattles with our 8P which Audi finally rectified but love the roof option, the new one is a single piece and looks great.

We also had Bose on 8Ps and A7 and B&O on A5's the B&O in particular is superb and well worth £450 (after discount) over the ASS for the sound improvement alone but ASS seems pretty good for what it is.. should be standard IMHO!

Whatever, enjoy your new ride!
    SOLD 0201204 8P March 2011 Black Edition 2.0Tdi170 Sportback quattro..lots of bits... Others in the Garage......
    Arrived 1 March 2014 ..Phantom 2014 8V S3 Sportback. lots of bits, Pano roof, Tech Pack.TPMS, WOW ;-)

Neutral

Status
    Did you know if the S-Line you test drove had the S-Line suspension spec'd? You have to ask for it to be fitted on S-Line models or you'll get the Sport suspension as standard. Just something worth checking!
    Ordered (build week 14): Audi A3 SportBack S-Line 1.4 COD, Phantom Black, Comfort Pack, Parking Plus, Transformer Door Mirrors, Technology Pack, Bang & Olufsen
    Current: Audi A1 S-Line 1.6 TDI Daytona Racing Grey, Comfort Pack, Door Mirrors, Stone Chips, Small dent, dead squirrel

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post

What delivery have you been quoted. When I was with my dealer on Friday he checked and the system said 12 weeks.
    I have been told either end of March or worst case scenario end of April.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PilotAudi View Post
    Interesting post and a great colour for an A3.

Couple of observations, I suspect that the SLine felt more planted because it had the heavier Diesel motor. We too much prefer the supportive S Line Leather edged seats to the soggier versions but it's all down to taste.

Wondered why you went for No smoke pack. We had this on wife's old 2011 8P Black Edition quattro which gave more storage. all the NSP pack seems to do on 8V is delete the handy smart looking alloy storage box (AKA Ashtray) We plan to remove cigar lighter and insert VAG rechargeable torch.

No Pan Roof on this order eh.. We had a few issues with rattles with our 8P which Audi finally rectified but love the roof option, the new one is a single piece and looks great.

We also had Bose on 8Ps and A7 and B&O on A5's the B&O in particular is superb and well worth £450 (after discount) over the ASS for the sound improvement alone but ASS seems pretty good for what it is.. should be standard IMHO!

Whatever, enjoy your new ride!
    Didn't spec the nsp on the last car so just done it automatically this time but worth considering.

With regards to the pan roof it was more of a cosmetic thing on the current car as it looked good on a white car being full black roof front to rear but as it is only half the roof and were having grey this time not overly worried plus save some pennies.

The sport we had yesterday had the ASS and the S-line had the B&O so had a good play with both and more than happy with the upgrade over the standard system.
    PilotAudi likes this.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by madrussa View Post
    Did you know if the S-Line you test drove had the S-Line suspension spec'd? You have to ask for it to be fitted on S-Line models or you'll get the Sport suspension as standard. Just something worth checking!
    My current 8P has the extra 10mm lowered suspension but we are just going with standard s-line suspension on this occasion as the dealer has even said that the 4 cars that he has sold with the extra lowered suspension have all come back to have it raised as they have all hated it.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    ... we are probably both a lot older than you and your wife! We used to go for a harder ride but now we prefer the comfort of a softer ride especially for our longer journeys.
    +1

... my wife and I each drive around 20k miles a year. So lots of long journeys. And experience of my current car is that it is too firm for long journeys. Though many of the roads I drive are particularly bad. Will take me over 2 1/2 hours to get to my first job tomorrow. Not looking forward to that on my GTD's sports suspension

1st Gear

Status
    Couple of observations, I suspect that the SLine felt more planted because it had the heavier Diesel motor.
    That's what we found.
    jbs2472 likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    I have the S Line suspension and find it just fine. It can be a little hard at times but its worth it for the feeling of going round corners on rails.

It is certainly no harder than the 8P S3 I had and it handles just as well but is far more compliant.

The post above about people having it raised is interesting as it must cost a fortune for new shocks and springs and the labour!

Steve
    A4 B8 2.0TDi S Line Multitronic

2nd Gear

Status
    Dealer has emailed this morning and confirmed build week 11 so looking at collecting end of March beginning of April.

2nd Gear

Status
    Just received the following email from the dealer.

I hope you are well, your new car is now with Production order, which means it is awaiting to go on the assembly line, so not too long now.
    veeeight and RossR like this.
    Arrived - 8V A3 1.4tfsi COD S-Line Sportback S-Tronic, Daytona Grey, Audi Sound System, Interior Light Pack, Light & Rain Sensor, Alu Roof Rails, Privacy Glass, Non Smokers Pack, Deletion of model & technology.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Dealer has emailed this morning and confirmed build week 11 so looking at collecting end of March beginning of April.
    Can i ask you what dealer you ordered your car from as I ordered my car from Perth Audi in mid January and was told delivery would be May and I still don't have a build week yet! (You can probably tell I'm getting a bit frustrated!)

6th Gear

Status
    This isn't the case - there is also a wiring change to use it more as a charging socket than a cigarette lighter. The ashtray can be got from eBay for a tenner or so though.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

6th Gear

Status
    My current 8P has the extra 10mm lowered suspension but we are just going with standard s-line suspension on this occasion as the dealer has even said that the 4 cars that he has sold with the extra lowered suspension have all come back to have it raised as they have all hated it.
    Your dealer said 4 people have brought it back because they hate it, but you are going for it?
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cocob View Post
    Can i ask you what dealer you ordered your car from as I ordered my car from Perth Audi in mid January and was told delivery would be May and I still don't have a build week yet! (You can probably tell I'm getting a bit frustrated!)
    I ordered my Sportback (2.0 TDi not 1.4 COD) from Perth Audi in late Jan and was quoted build week 11. This was confirmed to me last week, so hoping for an early April delivery.

1st Gear

Status
    Read the original post before I realised that I had read it before.

Both the cars tested would have had the same suspension setup unless specified.

Maybe it wasn't just the weight of the engine that made the difference. The S-line would also have had 18inch tyres.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cocob View Post
    Ordered from Audi Maidstone.
    Arrived - 8V A3 1.4tfsi COD S-Line Sportback S-Tronic, Daytona Grey, Audi Sound System, Interior Light Pack, Light & Rain Sensor, Alu Roof Rails, Privacy Glass, Non Smokers Pack, Deletion of model & technology.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    Your dealer said 4 people have brought it back because they hate it, but you are going for it?
    No only going for the standard sport suspension which is the same on both sport and s-line, I do have the additional lowered suspension on my current 8P

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Daz Auto View Post
    Read the original post before I realised that I had read it before.

Both the cars tested would have had the same suspension setup unless specified.

Maybe it wasn't just the weight of the engine that made the difference. The S-line would also have had 18inch tyres.
    Understand about the difference in weight between petrol and diesel but definitely preferred the s-line with the 18's, but have that on my current 8P anyway with the additional lowered 10mm suspension.