Chris NottVolks Autos
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 0B1001001

Thread: Best SD cards to use

1st Gear

Status

Best SD cards to use

Got an 8V with the standard tech pack on its way! Although not sure if tech pack makes a difference to the SD slots, can anyone with a copy of the instruction manual check what the maximum class and capacity is of the SD cards the 8V can take? Also, does it take regular-sized cards, or micro ones?

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen C View Post
    Got an 8V with the standard tech pack on its way! Although not sure if tech pack makes a difference to the SD slots, can anyone with a copy of the instruction manual check what the maximum class and capacity is of the SD cards the 8V can take? Also, does it take regular-sized cards, or micro ones?

It takes regular SD cards. With the standard tech pack, i think one of the SD card slots will be used for the maps, only leaving 1 slot for music. max 64gb cards
    Audi A3 Sportback S line 1.8 TFSI S tronic - Scuba Blue
    Technology package - High with Audi Connect/Interior lighting package/Driver assistance package/Light and rain sensor package/Adaptive Xenon Plus headlights with variable range control/Advanced key/Aluminum roof rails/Audi pre sense/Auto-dimming rear-view mirror/Bang & Olufsen/Door mirrors-dimming, electrically adjustable,folding and heated/Heated seats/Audi side assist/Audi active lane assist/Rear side airbags/Tyre pressure loss indicator

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by andywil13 View Post
    It takes regular SD cards. With the standard tech pack, i think one of the SD card slots will be used for the maps, only leaving 1 slot for music. max 64gb cards
    Does the high tech pack have a different SD setup then? I was under the impression maps were stored on some sort of HDD with both tech packs.

1st Gear

Status
    I think only on internal hard drive with the top end tech pack. The brochure says which pack includes sd maps and which is hdd
    Technology package - High with Audi Connect/Interior lighting package/Driver assistance package/Light and rain sensor package/Adaptive Xenon Plus headlights with variable range control/Advanced key/Aluminum roof rails/Audi pre sense/Auto-dimming rear-view mirror/Bang & Olufsen/Door mirrors-dimming, electrically adjustable,folding and heated/Heated seats/Audi side assist/Audi active lane assist/Rear side airbags/Tyre pressure loss indicator

1st Gear

Status
    I think only on internal hard drive with the top end tech pack. The brochure says which pack includes sd maps and which is hdd
    I ordered PNQ Technology Package:

Includes HDD-based MMI Satellite Navigation Plus and MMI Touch with navigation data (flash memory)
    So I guess I can use both slots?

1st Gear

Status
    Yes that's right, both slots will be free, so max 128gb in theory. Because there are 3 levels of sat nav type packs, I thought tech pack was a more general term, but Audi don't refer to the basic nav as a tech pack.

Incidentally the screen quality without either of the 2 tech packs is naff

1st Gear

Status
    Yes that's right, both slots will be free, so max 128gb in theory. Because there are 3 levels of sat nav type packs, I thought tech pack was a more general term, but Audi don't refer to the basic nav as a tech pack.

Incidentally the screen quality without either of the 2 tech packs is naff
    Yep, that's the main reason I specced it. All my devices are retina display, so the standard screen looked **** to me!
    Last edited by Stephen C; 8th February 2014 at 12:30.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Sorry to hijack, but I was all excited that I could move up to SDXC cards when my new car arrives.

Here in Australia we have the "MMI Navigation plus w/ 7" display, 2*card readers, 20GB storage etc" with no further upgrade options. I've seen in some places it mention SDHC and other places I could swear I've seen SDXC. Does anyone know for certain?

1st Gear

Status
    I'm using a 128GB SD card with no problems (non tech pack though). I thought I read some where capacity was 2TB (not that these cards exist!).

1st Gear

Status
    It's on page 60 of the brochure, says PNQ tech pack (£1,495 one) leaves 2 x SDXC slots free for up to 2TB of storage.
    the_lecht_rocks likes this.
    Arrived: MY14 S3 Sportback (Ordered 4th Jan, build week 12 (was 13), collected 23rd April), Manual, Monsoon Grey, Black Alcantara, LED Headlights, Interior Light Pack, Comfort Pack, Audi Sound System, ACC, Parking System Plus, Tech Pack, Electronic Folding & Heated Mirrors, Through Load

1st Gear

Status
    Also, can MMI play Apple Lossless (.m4a format) files from the SD cards?

1st Gear

Status
    It won't play lossless but will play AAC okay

4th Gear

Status
    Wont play The Beatles though.
    Steeve