Best SD cards to use

Stephen C

Reaction score
Got an 8V with the standard tech pack on its way! Although not sure if tech pack makes a difference to the SD slots, can anyone with a copy of the instruction manual check what the maximum class and capacity is of the SD cards the 8V can take? Also, does it take regular-sized cards, or micro ones?

Got an 8V with the standard tech pack on its way! Although not sure if tech pack makes a difference to the SD slots, can anyone with a copy of the instruction manual check what the maximum class and capacity is of the SD cards the 8V can take? Also, does it take regular-sized cards, or micro ones?

It takes regular SD cards. With the standard tech pack, i think one of the SD card slots will be used for the maps, only leaving 1 slot for music. max 64gb cards

It takes regular SD cards. With the standard tech pack, i think one of the SD card slots will be used for the maps, only leaving 1 slot for music. max 64gb cards

Does the high tech pack have a different SD setup then? I was under the impression maps were stored on some sort of HDD with both tech packs.

I think only on internal hard drive with the top end tech pack. The brochure says which pack includes sd maps and which is hdd

I think only on internal hard drive with the top end tech pack. The brochure says which pack includes sd maps and which is hdd

I ordered PNQ Technology Package:

Includes HDD-based MMI Satellite Navigation Plus and MMI Touch with navigation data (flash memory)

So I guess I can use both slots?

Yes that's right, both slots will be free, so max 128gb in theory. Because there are 3 levels of sat nav type packs, I thought tech pack was a more general term, but Audi don't refer to the basic nav as a tech pack.

Incidentally the screen quality without either of the 2 tech packs is naff

Yes that's right, both slots will be free, so max 128gb in theory. Because there are 3 levels of sat nav type packs, I thought tech pack was a more general term, but Audi don't refer to the basic nav as a tech pack.

Incidentally the screen quality without either of the 2 tech packs is naff

Yep, that's the main reason I specced it. All my devices are retina display, so the standard screen looked **** to me!

Last edited:
Sorry to hijack, but I was all excited that I could move up to SDXC cards when my new car arrives.

Here in Australia we have the "MMI Navigation plus w/ 7" display, 2*card readers, 20GB storage etc" with no further upgrade options. I've seen in some places it mention SDHC and other places I could swear I've seen SDXC. Does anyone know for certain?

I'm using a 128GB SD card with no problems (non tech pack though). I thought I read some where capacity was 2TB (not that these cards exist!).

It's on page 60 of the brochure, says PNQ tech pack (£1,495 one) leaves 2 x SDXC slots free for up to 2TB of storage.

Reactions: the_lecht_rocks
Also, can MMI play Apple Lossless (.m4a format) files from the SD cards?

It won't play lossless but will play AAC okay