AH FabricationsMonster Motorsport
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1

    To buy or not to buy, that is the qusetion

    I current have an 8P Sportback - 2.0TDI-170 s-tronic SE which I like very much.

    Over the past months I have test driven a number of 8V 2.0TDIs both 150 and 184 and I have decided that my next car will be a 2.0TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro.

    I cannot decide whether to change now or wait until my current car is a bit older. It was first registered in March 2012 so if I ordered a new one it would be just over 2 years old when I collect my new one. It has only done 24,000 miles. If I decide to wait until it's 3 years old it will mean that I will have to pay for another service and an oil change on the s-tronic just before I sell it or trade-in which I get little value from. Also the gap between the cost of a new one and the value of my existing one will only get larger.

    Decisions, decisions!!
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    mjcourtney's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    South England
    Posts
    1,041
    Well from what I've just read, I can only see a bunch of reasons in favour of upgrading now!
    2013 8V Glacier White A3 Sportback 1.4 TFSI S-line Mnaual
    SE Suspension, Tech Pack, B&O, Comfort Pack, Electric folding mirrors, Park Assist, TPMS, Interior Light Pack

  4. #3
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    353
    I am in the same boat as you - currently drive A3 2.0tdi 170 Black Edition s-tronic with loads of extras, basically audi called last week and asked if I fancied changing my car as have it on pcp so test driving a 1.4tfsi COD s-tronic tomorrow morning and have already negotiated new car spec,prices and monthly payments but have just laid out for big service including s-tronic oil change and 2 new tyres, so not sure whether to keep a little longer or change now.

  5. #4
    warren_S5's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,164
    I was in similar situation Dave (health problems aside). My S3 is 61 plate, 24,000 miles and unfortunately health problem is forcing me down the road of a transmission change as sciatica is plaguing my left leg.

    Went to look at S3 8V. Was ready to pull the trigger after driving it as:

    1) my S3 still has a part ex of £21.5k after 2.5 yrs!
    2) the 8V is a significant step forward both engine, chassis and toys wise

    I got back in 8P, and as much as I adore it the 8V is leagues ahead in almost all areas. Only sticking point was S3 was £42k loaded with no discernible discount, at that price it made no sense to not go S5 which has healthy manufacturer / dealer contribution, low APR and offers that bit more comfort. If the S5 hadn't been such a good price I'd have ordered the S3 8V (or be waiting for the RS3 announcement).

    Tough call, but as I found out this year life is too short to say maybe tomorrow....
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

  6. #5
    JohnnyM100's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Hampshire/Surrey border
    Posts
    462
    Does your current diesel have a schedule for timing belt change? If so, that's likely to cost as much as a normal service and gearbox oil change put together. Might be worth considering time of sale not less than 6 months before that is due to minimise it impacting your trade in value.

    From your choices you seem to be a diesel man but the e-tron will be out ~Nov 2014; gov't contribution to purchase price and low tax. Its a petrol hybrid and not diesel but electric motors have torque aplenty. If you are in no hurry to purchase then may be worth a look but depends on the sort of journeys you do though.
    Enjoying my 8V

  7. #6
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    322
    If it makes sense financially do it !

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. To buy or not to buy, that is the question....
    By maninthestreet in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 19th July 2012, 19:01
  2. To buy or not to buy.......
    By slinx in forum TT/TT-S/TT-RS Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 16th January 2007, 14:14
  3. to buy or not to buy
    By a4quat in forum A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 4th January 2007, 19:45
  4. To buy or not to buy.... Boost controller???
    By Booth_S4 in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 27th October 2006, 10:06
  5. Please Read, To buy or not To buy!?!!
    By dgannon69 in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 9th July 2006, 13:39

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO