184TDI Quattro MPG

rdgc

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wandered what MPG people are getting after having this car a while ?

I've done 3,500 miles and still struggling to get an average over high 30's MPG... Mix of town/motorway driving (Actual MPG)

the DIS is showing mid to high 40's on a motorway run @ 70, but overall average on a tank is still around the 37-38mpg mark

Anyone done more mileage to see if it does get better with time ?

cheers

42 mpg for me after 1,300 miles though I have been pretty gentle with it so far. Do you have a heavy right foot, or have it in Sport or Dynamic all the time?

I've been equally the same, 90% of the driving was in efficiency mode and driving reasonably carefully (and is now - i use it a lot for work, so it's getting expensive!)

Audi say 10k before it will bed down, but i've never seen that much of a change in older audi's ive owned!

Thanks!

Try taking it out of efficiency mode..... With the EMS in efficiency mode, you will have a relatively heavy right foot to try and get some performance out of the unit. All (well nearly all) the people I've seen complaining of low MPG have relatively low powered cars (there's a threqd on here about the 1.6L diesel and fuel economy) and/or are in efficiency mode.

This may sound counter productive, but it also explains why adding a tuning box (which, from my understanding increases the fuel flow) gives even better MPG - the power is there so you use less throttle to get where you want to be.

Ok thanks for the suggestion I guess it is worth a try, I did do a tank in auto mode and it didn't seem to help - but it would be based on the mix of driving done during that period... Will give it a go the dealer reckons take 20% off the combined figure to get reality and I'm a way off that still!!

FWIW I have driven 100% in auto mode and also 100% using auto gears. I have never used manual gear changing.