Star/Stop with s-tronic

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I have been driving a December 2014 registered A3 2.0TDI-184 Sportback S-Line s-tronic demonstrator for several hours today.

I also have a copy of the A3/S3 Owner's Manual dated 10.2013 and the description of the Start/Stop system seems to be slightly wrong. When I stopped at a level crossing the engine cut out and the Start/Stop symbol appeared on the DIS. The s-tronic was in Manual mode. I switched the 'handbrake' on and took my foot completely off the brake pedal and the engine did not start up again. On my existing 8P it would have done and the OM for the 8V says it would as well. So I sat there for a few minutes whilst several trains passed. When the barriers went up I just pressed the accelerator and the engine started and I was on my way. All the time I was wait the stick was left in the Manual position.

I understood from the OM that this would be the case if the car was fitted with Hold Assist but it is not. If this is in fact how it will work with a new 8V that's great. It means I can stop, the engine will cut out and I don't have to sit there with my brake lights shinning in the face of the driver behind if I just put the handbrake on. I understand Hold Assist will keep pressure in the brake lines and keep the brake light on. Perhaps I will not be ordering Hold Assist after all.

He's bought us back information from the future; you don't get that every day; well done Dave!

Reactions: Anarch
Hope the manual shows the same behaviour, would make sense. I've not ordered that nasty hold assist thing :)

1 post with a question and 3 replies not answering the question but taking the proverbial from an innocent typo?

C'mon people.

Dave - what you describe is exactly the way it works with Hold Assist, but note your demo car did not have that. I like the fact start/stop works on the accelerator but sometimes I just touch the throttle before I need to move off as this allows time for oil pressure to build rather than engine start then power straight away.

I have Hold Assist but will turn it off and try this on my way home.

You are right that Hold Assist leaves the brake lights on. Does make me feel a little bad for the car behind.

John.

Reactions: Scotty2011 and h5djr
That's clever!

Sorry that should of course be December 2013. I usually have a problem remembering the current year at this time of year and keep putting 2013. This time I got it totally the wrong way round. I don't think I really want to be able to look in to the future. I might not like what I see. Just as far as April 2014 would be nice to see what changes Audi will make for the 2015 model year. Sorry again for the confusion.

Reactions: cemerson
1 post with a question and 3 replies not answering the question but taking the proverbial from an innocent typo?

C'mon people.

Dave - what you describe is exactly the way it works with Hold Assist, but note your demo car did not have that. I like the fact start/stop works on the accelerator but sometimes I just touch the throttle before I need to move off as this allows time for oil pressure to build rather than engine start then power straight away.

I have Hold Assist but will turn it off and try this on my way home.

You are right that Hold Assist leaves the brake lights on. Does make me feel a little bad for the car behind.

John.

Thanks John for the 'sensible' reply.

Sorry that should of course be December 2013 I don't think I really want to be able to look in to the future. I might not like what I see. Just as far as April 2014 would be nice to see what changes Audi will make for the 2015 model year.

For being so uncharitable Dave I'll share this with you, only shows model spec deletions but I found it the other day in the Estoril paint thread (assuming this is a genuine VW doc). You will have to wait for April 2014 for anything new coming in!

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1sdw9GnhBrIbXR5bHJsaVZ1VUNVN2hraFNCR21peVhBTGUw/edit

For being so uncharitable Dave I'll share this with you, only shows model spec deletions but I found it the other day in the Estoril paint thread (assuming this is a genuine VW doc). You will have to wait for April 2014 for anything new coming in!

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1sdw9GnhBrIbXR5bHJsaVZ1VUNVN2hraFNCR21peVhBTGUw/edit

Thanks for that.... all I get when I click on the link is a blank document!

As long as Audi don't discontinue Silver I will be happy.

Thanks for that.... all I get when I click on the link is a blank document!

As long as Audi don't discontinue Silver I will be happy.

No, just estoril and suzuka!

Bizarre, on my machine it works but it does take some time.

Incase you can't get it:

Discontinued options for model year 2015

Summary: Advance notice of items not available to order after 7 February

AU0091-14

Several options across the Audi range will be discontinued for model year 2015 (MY15). This is part of the annual process of refreshing our products.

For the majority of models, production of MY15 cars begin in week 22; to avoid any cars being built with the incorrect specification, the discontinued options cannot be ordered after 7 February 2014.

You can download a complete list of discontinued options for model year 2015 in PDF format below.

The A3, A4, A5, A6, A7, A8 and Q5 will all be affected. Centres should tell customers that these options are no longer available.

Wherever possible, customer orders already in the system but without a build week will be scheduled as an MY14 car, with the option as requested. However, sometimes this may not be possible; you will be contacted if this happens.

Further information on MY15 changes will be published on Desktop in early March.

New pricing and specification guides will be available on Desktop and audi.co.uk when 2015 models are opened for ordering.

DISCONTINUED ITEMS AT MY15

A1 - No discontinued items at MY15

Model Option Code

Disc S3 all variants Estoril blue, crystal effect paint K0

Model Option Code

Disc S4 Estoril blue, crystal effect paint K0

Disc All A4 (Excl. RS4) 19” x 8.5J ‘7-arm double-spoke’ design alloy wheels with 255/35 Y R19 tyres PQF

Model Option Code

Disc RS 5 Cabriolet Ibis white, standard paint T9

Disc RS 5 Cabriolet Suzuka grey, metallic paint M1

Disc S5 Coupe & RS5 Coupe Estoril blue, crystal effect paint K0

Disc A5/S5 Coupe & Sportback 19” x 9J ‘5-segment-spoke’ design alloy wheels with 255/35 R19 tyres PQ6

Disc All A5 (excl. RS 5) 20” x 9J ‘7-arm double-spoke’ design alloy wheels with 265/30 R20 tyres PQF

Disc A5 Coupe & Sportback Garnet red fine Nappa leather IB

Disc A5 Cabriolet Chennai brown fine Nappa leather TZ

Disc A5 Cabriolet Velvet beige leather/Alcantara IF

Disc All A6 & S6 19" x 8.5J '7 twin-spoke' design alloy wheels PQT

Disc All A6 & S6 Quartz grey, metallic paint Q4

Disc All A6 & S6 Garnet red, pearl effect paint 9C

Disc All A6 Deep green, pearl effect paint 3W

Disc A6 Hybrid Arctic silver, metallic paint Y0

Disc RS 6 Avant Ibis white, standard paint T9

Disc RS 6 Avant Suzuka grey, metallic paint M1

Disc S6 / RS 6 Avant Estoril blue, crystal effect paint K0

Model Option Code

Model Option Code

Disc A7 Gear selector lever with wood segments 6Q3

Disc A7 Audi exclusive wood gear lever knob YTD

Disc A7 9J x 20" 5 segment-spoke design alloy wheels with 265/35 R 20 tyres PQ6

Disc A7 9J x 20" 7 twin-spoke design, high-gloss design alloy wheels with 265/35 R 20 tyres PQN

Disc A7 9J x 20" 7 twin-spoke design, polished two colour design alloy wheels with 265/35 R 20 tyres PQF

Disc A7 Quartz grey, metallic paint Q4

Disc A7 Garnet red, pearl effect paint 9C

Disc A7 Deep green, pearl effect paint 3W

Disc A7 Impala beige, pearl effect paint T2

Disc RS 7 Sportback Ibis white, standard paint T9

Disc RS 7 Sportback Suzuka grey, metallic paint M1

Disc S7 / RS 7 Sportback Estoril blue, crystal effect paint K0

Model Option Code

Disc A8 20” x 9J ‘7-twin-spoke’ design high-gloss finish alloy wheels with 265/40 R20 tyres PQN

Disc A8 19” x 9J ‘5-twin-spoke’ design alloy wheels with 255/45 R19 tyres PQG

Disc A8 20” x 9J Aluminium technology ‘10-arm’ design alloy wheels with 265/40 R20 tyres PRM

Q3 - No discontinued items at MY15

Model Option Code

Disc Q5 20” x 8.5J ‘7-double-spoke’ design alloy wheels PQF

Disc SQ5 Estoril blue, crystal effect paint K0

Q7 - No discontinued items at MY15

TT - No discontinued items at MY15

R8 - No discontinued items at MY15

The Stop/Start in a manual works much better than the stronic actually.

With Stronic it works as described in the first post above. I find in some scenarios this very annoying and I often turn stop/start off. an example of this is coming to a stop and knowing in your own mind you are going to pull away a moment later.

With a manual it only activates the stop/start when in neutral, and when you lift off the clutch, which allows you to give that element of intelligence the car doesnt have. So when stopping for only a short moment the engine stays running as you are still in gear. But when stopping at traffic lights, and you come out of gear, it does stop.

Reactions: warren_S5

With Stronic it works as described in the first post above. I find in some scenarios this very annoying and I often turn stop/start off. an example of this is coming to a stop and knowing in your own mind you are going to pull away a moment later.

With a manual it only activates the stop/start when in neutral, and when you lift off the clutch, which allows you to give that element of intelligence the car doesnt have. So when stopping for only a short moment the engine stays running as you are still in gear. But when stopping at traffic lights, and you come out of gear, it does stop.

I agree and I turn my stop/start off every time I get in the car. I dislike it in every way.

I just been out again in the 2.0TDI-184 stronic to try the lights etc. With the Start/Stop and the s-tronic on my existing 8P I find that if I brake and just before I come to a stop I release the brake, as I was taught to do many years ago to stop the 'jerk' as the car stops, I can hold the car still with very light pressure on the brake pedal without the engine cutting out.

I have tried the same on this new one and it works just the same but if anything a little better. More pressure is required on the brake pedal to actually get the engine to stop. I can just sit there like that for as long as I like. If I take my foot off the brake pedal altogether the engine will start again. But if when I'm stopped I decide I'm going to be there for a while I can just pull the handbrake switch and take my foot of the pedal and the engine stays stopped. As soon as I press the accelerator pedal the engine starts again and I can pull away.

I must say in this very wet weather with puddles all over the place the handling with the quattro is fabulous. Very sure footed. I will have to be a bit careful when I go back to my current 170 front-wheel drive tomorrow.

OK, There are some nuances to this one…….

When I stopped at a level crossing the engine cut out and the Start/Stop symbol appeared on the DIS. The s-tronic was in Manual mode. I switched the 'handbrake' on and took my foot completely off the brake pedal and the engine did not start up again.
The reason the engine did not restart immediately is that you put the handbrake on before lifting off the brake pedal. In that situation, the engine will not restart until you touch the accelerator.
If you lift off the brake pedal without putting the handbrake on, the engine will restart immediately.

When the barriers went up I just pressed the accelerator and the engine started and I was on my way. All the time I was wait the stick was left in the Manual position.
Thats the same way it works with Hold Assist.
By just briefly touching the accelerator, the engine will restart but still hold you and not creep forwards as Hold Assist is still active. You can't do that without Hold Assist as the car would start moving.

I understood from the OM that this would be the case if the car was fitted with Hold Assist but it is not. If this is in fact how it will work with a new 8V that's great. It means I can stop, the engine will cut out and I don't have to sit there with my brake lights shinning in the face of the driver behind if I just put the handbrake on. I understand Hold Assist will keep pressure in the brake lines and keep the brake light on. Perhaps I will not be ordering Hold Assist after all.
The owners manual is correct, its the fact you put the handbrake on before lifting of the brake pedal that made the car respond differently.
Dave - your choice whether to have Hold Assist, but for the £90 cost to add the option, it prevents the need to put the handbrake on each time. Admittedly it does leave the brake lights on though.

I agree Start/Stop dovetails better with a Manual, and until they invent a smart/clairvoyant car then that will probably be the case for many years to come.
However, with S-Tronic you can come to a stop and if you only using the brake gently for the last 1-2 feet it is possible to stop the car, activate Hold Assist and yet not activate Stop/Start. The engine stays running. Over time, I have learned how much pressure is needed to stop the car without Start/Stop kicking in.
Press the brake pedal again and a bit harder; Start/Stop kicks in as normal.

I agree start/stop can be annoying at times. If I am at a junction where I know I'll need a fairly swift getaway, I disable Start/Stop on the dashboard button.

John.

Reactions: warren_S5
OK, There are some nuances to this one…….

The reason the engine did not restart immediately is that you put the handbrake on before lifting off the brake pedal. In that situation, the engine will not restart until you touch the accelerator.
If you lift off the brake pedal without putting the handbrake on, the engine will restart immediately.

Thats the same way it works with Hold Assist.
By just briefly touching the accelerator, the engine will restart but still hold you and not creep forwards as Hold Assist is still active. You can't do that without Hold Assist as the car would start moving.

The owners manual is correct, its the fact you put the handbrake on before lifting of the brake pedal that made the car respond differently.
Dave - your choice whether to have Hold Assist, but for the £90 cost to add the option, it prevents the need to put the handbrake on each time. Admittedly it does leave the brake lights on though.

I agree Start/Stop dovetails better with a Manual, and until they invent a smart/clairvoyant car then that will probably be the case for many years to come.
However, with S-Tronic you can come to a stop and if you only using the brake gently for the last 1-2 feet it is possible to stop the car, activate Hold Assist and yet not activate Stop/Start. The engine stays running. Over time, I have learned how much pressure is needed to stop the car without Start/Stop kicking in.
Press the brake pedal again and a bit harder; Start/Stop kicks in as normal.

I agree start/stop can be annoying at times. If I am at a junction where I know I'll need a fairly swift getaway, I disable Start/Stop on the dashboard button.

John.

You are correct about using light pressure to avoid start/stop kicking in, but I found it quite hard to remember to do this every time, as its an even lighter action to avoid jolting the car to a stop. I'm not in the habbit of turning it off, so I might invest in that module for £30. I'm a bit paranoid about playing with the VCDS while its under warranty