New A3 ordered - SE Question

bobinder

Reaction score
Hi guys,

First time posting a new thread in these forums. I've ordered an A3 SE Sportback in Amalfi White with 18" 5-arm dynamic alloy wheels. I'm just a bit concerned that without the Sports or S-line suspension the car may look too high on bigger alloys. Ideally I want to go for these alloys but not impact upon the ride comfort too much, does anyone have pictures of SE suspension and 18" inch alloys? Also for those that have this setup, what is the ride like compared to Sports suspension and 17"?

Thanks,

Hi, and welcome to the forum.......The SE suspension actual ride height will be the same for both the 17" and 18" wheels as the wheel diamater does not change between wheel sizes just the diameter of the central allow hub.

Whether the ride height is preceived differently due to the different sized wheels is a matter of individual visual perception but the actual measured ride height will not be different

Reactions: bobinder
This is an S-line with 18" Alloys and SE Suspension. Individual opinions vary but for me I think it's fine.

P1000276

Hi, and welcome to the forum.......The SE suspension actual ride height will be the same for both the 17" and 18" wheels as the wheel diamater does not change between wheel sizes just the diameter of the central allow hub.

Is there really that much difference between the tyre profile moving up a size?

We have the SE suspension on 18in rims. Generally the suspension is very comfortable with a little tyre noise at speed (probably because the car is so quiet!). The handling is excellent, the body does roll slightly when you turn into a corner (not much) but once it is there it doesn't move anymore and there is a significant amount of grip. Quite rankly I am amazed at balance between comfort and handling.

We did test drive the Sport suspension on 17in. It is not that much firmer but there was an audible 'thump' from every bump in the road. It had less body roll in the corners.

We did test the SE on 17in before the Sport on 17in - for us it was a no brainer - they are both very similar just one is more comfortable (or maybe smoother?) than the other.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: tomsurfer and bobinder
I should say I was in the dealership today and saw a A3 Saloon on 19in rims. They seemed to fill the wheel arches better. It made the Sportback next to it look like it had really small wheels even though they were 18in!

We have the SE suspension on 18in rims. Generally the suspension is very comfortable with a little tyre noise at speed (probably because the car is so quiet!). The handling is excellent, the body does roll slightly when you turn into a corner (not much) but once it is there it doesn't move anymore and there is a significant amount of grip. Quite rankly I am amazed at balance between comfort and handling.

We did test drive the Sport suspension on 17in. It is not that much firmer but there was an audible 'thump' from every bump in the road. It had less body roll in the corners.

We did test the SE on 17in before the Sport on 17in - for us it was a no brainer - they are both very similar just one is more comfortable (or maybe smoother?) than the other.

Hope this helps.

Whether the ride height is preceived differently due to the different sized wheels is a matter of individual visual perception but the actual measured ride height will not be different

Thanks guys,

That's put my mind at ease regarding the choice I've made. Wanted to go for the best ride comfort possible for the best looks; but it's always a tough balance to achieve. I've got another 3 and half months before the car arrives at the dealership so have a lot of waiting to do!

Yes, with SE suspension the bigger wheels do seem to fill the arches better as there is less black. For me, comfort overrode any perceived concern over looks. But since it's only half an inch height difference you'd really have to look to notice.

Considering a 1.2 tfsi sb se on the 17" kinetic alloys, also in amalfi, with the bright window surrounds any thoughts?

Reactions: First Ever Audi
1.2 is a great little engine, maybe consider the 1.4 for Anderson drive though !! SE spec and Kinetic tick all the boxes but consider adding the LED interior lighting! it's well worth it, ask for Sean at JC audi, he's very helpful. Amalfi is a good coulour also, changes with the light too.....good luck!

Considering a 1.2 tfsi sb se on the 17" kinetic alloys, also in amalfi, with the bright window surrounds any thoughts?

The 1.2 tfsi and 1.6 tdi have torsion beam rear suspension. Above 122ps (I think) you get multi link performance rear suspension.

Andrew English made the following comment in a review:

The ride, on the standard suspension and 16in wheels of the basic SE model, is highly impressive. Body roll control and the damping are first rate, handling badly cambered roads and poor surfaces with aplomb. You can travel a long way in this car without fatigue. Choose the 17in rims and a slight abruptness enters the equation, but it’s tolerable in a way the 18in rims simply are not.

Audi A3 Sportback review - Telegraph

Also, take a look at the used car below which is a Sport model (ie. no body kit).

It looks a bit high to me.

Vehicle View - Audi A3 Sportback 1.4 T FSI Sport (140PS) S Tronic - Bury St. Edmunds

My wife wanted a comfortable car. So we ordered an SE which comes as standard with the most comfortable suspension, seats and tyres. Funny how you pay more and get less comfort.

She does not care about how the alloys look. Before I convinced her to add the Xenon light package she said, "I'll be sitting in the car driving it, not looking at it!"

My wife wanted a comfortable car. So we ordered an SE which comes as standard with the most comfortable suspension, seats and tyres. Funny how you pay more and get less comfort.

SE suspension is a no-cost option on sport and s-line - paying more gets you the choice.

I found the sports seats in the Sport and S-Line models to be much more comfortable, with more adjustability than the seats in the SE.

I found the sports seats in the Sport and S-Line models to be much more comfortable, with more adjustability than the seats in the SE.
I wonder was it the sports suspension and 17 inch alloys that made me think the seats were uncomfortable too?

Just ordered the 1.2 TFSI SE sportback in amalfi.Standard suspension and 16" wheels.Comfort is much more important to me now.
Spec-Aluminium window surrounds,Aluminium interior accents ,Heated seats,LED interior package,rain and light sensor package ,non smoking delete,and privacy glass....... Hoping its a nice ,comfortable,quiet car with a little touch of luxury in this spec.
Performance is of secondary importance,with todays crowded roads and speed limits Surface quality on a lot of UK roads is pretty dire at best,so the SE should be well equipped Any comments?

Last edited:

Just ordered the 1.2 TFSI SE sportback in amalfi.Standard suspension and 16" wheels.Comfort is much more important to me now.
Spec-Aluminium window surrounds,Aluminium interior accents ,Heated seats,LED interior package,rain and light sensor package ,non smoking delete,and privacy glass....... Hoping its a nice ,comfortable,quiet car with a little touch of luxury in this spec.
Any comments?

I assume you have looked carefully through the Pricing and Specification Guide to make sure there are no other options you would like, because at this stage you could still add them to your order but most are very expensive to retro-fit. You do realise you only get manual air-conditioning in the SE and not the Dual-zone climate control version that you get with the other models.

Yes i know that,i have dual control air con on my A4 ,but strangely i got into the habit of adjusting both side to the same temp anyway,so it wasnt on the list of options considered.
I was very impressed with the ride comfort in a VW Golf SE on 16" wheels.This convinced me this was the set up for me.
Yes they are smaller and possibly not quite as pleasing on the eye,but as soon as you drive of ,it brings a huge grin to your face!
I must be getting old!

Yes i know that,i have dual control air con on my A4 ,but strangely i got into the habit of adjusting both side to the same temp anyway,so it wasnt on the list of options considered.
I was very impressed with the ride comfort in a VW Golf SE on 16" wheels.This convinced me this was the set up for me.
Yes they are smaller and possibly not quite as pleasing on the eye,but as soon as you drive of ,it brings a huge grin to your face!
I must be getting old!

Mine is the same on my existing Sportback, hardly ever different settings. I just like setting the temperature and forgetting it and letting the Air con adjust it self as necessary. The manual version will not do that.

My existing Sportback is an SE and it is very comfortable and it's on 17" wheels. My new one will be a Sport but I am still having the SE suspension but both my wife and myself found the seats in the Sport more comfortable than the SE on the 8V and I would have added most of the additional items that the Sport has over the SE as options anyway. I sure what you have chosen will be great and just what you want.

Performance is of secondary importance,with todays crowded roads and speed limits Surface quality on a lot of UK roads is pretty dire at best,so the SE should be well equipped Any comments?
We all have different tastes/budgets.

My wife's car...

1.6 TDI SE Sportback S-tronic Brilliant red
Xenon light pack (includes light/rain pack and interior light pack. Also has LED daylight running lights with LED tail lights.)
Comfort pack with Parking system plus (parking sensors front and rear)
ACC with Colour DIS
Sat Nav
Folding mirrors
Hold assist
Aluminium interior elements
Delete engine technology
Tyre pressure indicator

Last edited:
We all have different tastes/budgets.

Does this include the trim around the air con controls? The Audi brochure shows this in a photo in the SE spec page,of the Manual air con controls with this trim.Looks better.

Does this include the trim around the air con controls? The Audi brochure shows this in a photo in the SE spec page,of the Manual air con controls with this trim.Looks better.

Go to the configurator. Change to interior/dashboard view and click this option on/off. Shows it perfectly from 2 different angles.

Edit: I have just re-read your post - I don't think it shows it on the configurator.

Last edited:
Go to the configurator. Change to interior/dashboard view and click this option on/off. Shows it perfectly from 2 different angles.

Edit: I have just re-read your post - I don't think it shows it on the configurator.
So the answer to my question is ............

just got the car a week ago :jump: 1.8 quattro SB scuba blue 17" on SE suspension and i can tell you ride quality is excellent , it is really comfortable ( way better compared to previous A1 on 15" and normal suspension). can't comment much on body roll as i haven't really had the chance to throw the car around but at this comfort level i wouldn't complain even if there was .
the 17" i have now are on winter tyres and 18" for summer ones so i really hope the ride quality doesn't change much but will keep you updated when we change to summer tyres. hope that helps in any way.