Audi Service Plan - Is it worth it?

ahfh1

Reaction score
With less than 1 month before I collect the car, I'm now turning my attention to whether I need to go for the Audi Service Plan which is a 1 off cost of £399 for 3 years or 30,000 miles (whichever comes first).

Is this worth doing? I drive 12K miles per annum.

I have the brakes and tyres package too. I like it because you don't have to budget a £1300 tyre change or brakes into your life either! :)

How long are you planning to keep the car ? How many miles will you be driving ?

Is it transferable when you sell the car ? Probably not ? Are there any limits to mileage and whats covered ?

Ie read the small print

When I enquired about this the dealer told me that I'd have to have it serviced every 9000 miles. However, according to the specification booklet they gave me it depends on the type of driving. As I mainly do motorway driving I think it should be every 19000 miles, but he said under the £399 offer you must use the fixed service schedule of 9000. So how much is a 19000 mile service on a tdi?

There you go...maybe its not appropriate for long life servicing

The details on Audi's website state, " Servicing is based on either the Fixed Inspection Service Schedule or the LongLife Service Schedule dependent on customers annual mileage"..... However, as it's only up to 30k miles, does that mean that on the long life servicing schedule you'd only receive one service? If so, is that 19k mile service likely to cost me more than £399? Wondering if I'm better off not buying the plan now.

The details on Audi's website state, " Servicing is based on either the Fixed Inspection Service Schedule or the LongLife Service Schedule dependent on customers annual mileage"..... However, as it's only up to 30k miles, does that mean that on the long life servicing schedule you'd only receive one service? If so, is that 19k mile service likely to cost me more than £399? Wondering if I'm better off not buying the plan now.

Good find...so it depends on your mileage...obviously warranty covers major problems...if you plan on keeping the car over 3 years the extended warranty is a good offer imo.

Also dont buy their crazy priced gap insurance...get gap but not from them

How long are you planning to keep the car ? How many miles will you be driving ?

Is it transferable when you sell the car ? Probably not ? Are there any limits to mileage and whats covered ?

Ie read the small print

I'd be driving 12,000 miles p.a. and I'd be keeping it for 3 years. So that means 36,000 miles, which the 30K would not be enough cover. Assuming I have to use the fixed service schedule of of 9K miles, then the service schedule would be as follows:

9K miles - Covered by Audi Service Plan
18k miles - Covered by Audi Service Plan
27k miles - Covered by Audi Service Plan
30k miles -Audi Service Plan ends and £399 spent on servicing
Remaining 6K miles - Need to pay a one off for servicing, but how much does a one off service cost?

I guess I could get away with not having to service the car after 27k miles if I'm getting rid of it.

The finer details of the service plan do state that along with inspection services (presumably at 9000 miles and 27000 miles), you're entitled to a pollen filter at 20000 miles or two years and a brake fluid change at 36000 miles or three years. So maybe it'll just pay off supposing I keep the car that long.

As for the gap insurance....£499 they added into my finance deal, until in told him I didn't want it.

Find out exactly how much a main dealer service is ?

Finance and extras is the profit on cars these days (service, extended warranties, accessories, gap and insurance)

I heard Ford make a billion loss every year on car sales, but 2 billion a year profit on the above !

The service plan I have is some £8 a month cheaper than the one I had for my Ford, that'll be why. It's a bit like printers, they cut even on the hardware and charge extra for the cartridges. Yes it is worth it for your Audi though...

Tricky one - I didn't bother with the service plan on my last audi (TTRS+) and ended up paying £300 plus change on the first service, then £690 on the second. Service Plan was the long life as I was doing 20k a year. So, a grand in two and a half years / 44k miles. The amount I was quoted by Audi, paid monthly, would have equated to £1650 to the point where I sold the car. So, do the math.

Having said that, on the S3 SB I had, I did 36k miles, two years of ownership. Service Plan I had was just £35 a month based on 10k a year, which was £840 for total length of ownership - would I have paid more without the Plan? I think it would have been close.

For me it's not so much a cost saving, it's more a decision on how you manage your finances. Right now I can afford to take the hit of a service bill as all the wife needs to do is put in some overtime (she's a GP) LOL! But a few years back, when the missis was unwell and the company I was managing had a lot of problems, I preferred to have a budgeted value.

I had the service plan on my first 8P and when I purchased it I was told I could walk into ANY Audi dealer, they would punch the reg. number into their system and the car would be registered as being part of the fixed price maintenance plan; wonderful I thought.....

So second service is due and I'm working away from home so I get the car serviced locally to where I work. Go to pick up the car at the end of the day and I get presented with a £450 bill. So I query it and state the car is on FPS so why am I having to pay? The service chap goes off on one and starts ranting and kicking off that it's my duty to inform them first blah blah blah. Now this seemed an extreme reaction to what to me looked like a 'paperwork' exercise, however it got me thinking as I reflected whether they could possible cut corners if you were on FPS??? (E.g. does that filter look ok; oh we'll chuck it back in then). They had charged me about a tenner to top up an inch of washer fluid so I was glad not to have to pay (translate: get robbed) for that.

Subsequent services and warranty work was so patchy over the ownership experience with that car that I discounted using Audi for my new car and used APS in Brackley. They have won the Audi Driver annual award for best independent service centre 8 years on the bounce, they're courteous, professional, can fix faults and issues, don't frown at modifications, and get this; they're also CHEAPER! I assure you I can afford to pay for Audi service, but there comes a point where when you've been bent over enough that you have to question what's the point. I'm a long term 'S' car customer, and the contempt I've been treated with at times has been unacceptable. I pay these w@nky tw@ts wages (indirectly), and when I'm not buying £30k-£50k cars all I ask for is some basic common courtesy, an open minded approach and some level of customer service. Seeing that they can't do that I will happily take any amount of depreciation hit on my car to get good service throughout the life of the car as it makes the ownership experience far more palatable. Ironically on the current S3 trade in I've not been hit a penny for a full APS service history when traded back in with my usual Audi dealer.

So in a long winded ranty kind of way unless you rag the **** out of your car or you stand to gain massively from the fixed price servicing product I wouldn't consider it for a minute as the misery of Audi aftercare service is too great a cross to bear!

Reactions: dieselguy, dragon, cemerson and 1 other person
Yes good post....the guy on the desk when you took it in basically new that he'd blown the budget they are earmarked to spend on your car when its under a service plan because they thought you were paying for it....isnt that sad....so you pay up front for something you think is a special deal because you bought a new car from them....its just bull.hit !

Ive just made a complaint against my local main dealer service manager, wont be going there again !

We all get suckered into thinking that a main dealer stamp will be worth more dont we

Tricky

Reactions: dieselguy and warren_S5
It obviously depends on the individual dealer. I have no complaints about the way I am treated and the service I get from my local Audi dealer. Others may be cheaper but that's all. One of their Audi Master technicians has just set up in business on his own presumably because he wants to keep more of the money for himself but he does not have the fully range of equipment or information that is available to the dealer and of course he cannot do any warranty work that might be needed.

It obviously depends on the individual dealer. I have no complaints about the way I am treated and the service I get from my local Audi dealer. Others may be cheaper but that's all. One of their Audi Master technicians has just set up in business on his own presumably because he wants to keep more of the money for himself but he does not have the fully range of equipment or information that is available to the dealer and of course he cannot do any warranty work that might be needed.

Dave do you use Vindi's Cambridge? A few people on A5OC have actually left the Audi brand because of service received from Vindi's Cambridge / Northampton. I guess as you buy so many cars through them you must get VIP treatment :icon_thumright:

Please tell me you don't let them stick that Vindi's logo on your rear hatch, that's one thing I could never forgive them for.

Just had my service quote in, as they forgot to set it up when I got the car, and its actually cheaper than the one he gave me last year and now £10 cheaper than my Ford one was. Having said that I always received very good service from them with the plan. I think the theory that Audi service might cut corners because of paying monthly is on dodgy ground as they would then fall foul under the trading standards and bring a bad reputation to a company...

What prices are people paying for a plan for the S3 (on higher mileage plan)? Including tyres etc if at all possible. I have previously taken plans on my last 2 cars (not Audi's)... I just find it easier and stress free when that time of year comes around (plus my insurance tends to be due at same time so can be very expensive month!!) tyre plan also looks to be helpful as it can be a pain in the ar$e ringing round and price matching when a tyre is needed...

More info here on the £399 30,000 / 36 months A3 Service Plan

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3-s3-8v-chassis/182958-3-year-service-plan-@-£399-thoughts.html

And here

A3 Service Plan < Warranty and Aftersales < A3 < A3 < Models

Long and short of it is that if you opt for the fixed service intervals then you will save money with the £399 plan, assuming you do 10k miles per year. (For an S3, the fixed is probably more appropriate).

edit:
Warren - an explaination (but definitely not excusing the dealers behaviour) for the reaction you got - these service deals are set up by VWFS. So when a car on a service plan goes into an Audi/VW dealer, the first thing the service advisor has to do is to put a call into VWFS to get authorisation to do the work. This can take around 3 hours for them to respond! Really! And then if computer says no (because some conditions haven't been met), the dealer has to inform you. If he hasn't got the authorisation before he carries out the work on your car, then he is taking a punt on it that the authorisation will come through, else he will be liable for the big bill! Thus why he reacted (incorrectly) the way he did - he wouldn't know till the next day if he was going to get his money back for your service!

This is why, if you take your car in for a service under any VW/Audi Service Plan, your car is often sat in the car park for hours before they do any work on it!

Last edited:
Reactions: warren_S5 and ACWKGYTO
So the OP's 2000 miles over the 10000 leaves him with a tricky decision

So the OP's 2000 miles over the 10000 leaves him with a tricky decision

I'll be in limbo for the last 6k miles. I'd be tempted not to bother servicing the car if I'd be selling at the end of the 3 year finance deal when its on 36k miles. So service schedule would be:

10k - Service included
20k- Service included
30k- Service included
36k - No longer eligible for service as 30k exceeded, by which time it's time to sell trade in the car.

So the car would be fully serviced up to 30k which should be in a good enough condition to see me through the final 6k miles of ownership.

Or, at that point you are out of the 3 year warranty anyway, so the Indy route would be good.

I say this in the knowledge that although using an Indy won't invalidate your Audi warranty - having a FASH with the same dealer helps a lot with claiming on grey areas, if your car is known at the dealer that you've used for servicing, and warranty work.

The caveat is of course, that you have a good dealer with a good service department. Reading various posts on here indicate that customer service is variable amongst dealerships, but I'm happy to report that I have an excellent relationship with my Service department, and have never found them less than exceptional in all areas (Crewe Audi Service). And I'm a fussy ******, and hard to please!

Anyone with the tyre plan know if you can upgrade when getting new tyres? I know national tyres have been known to upgrade if they run out of stock, but I wonder if you can opt to pay the extra anyway

Right... Got some quotes from Derby Audi today when in looking at my S3 that landed there this morning, they are as follows (All based on 20000 miles p/a variable):
1) service only plan covering 80,000miles (48 months) - £52.43 per month
2) service and maintenance plan covering 80,000miles (48 months) - £80.56 per month (not sure what this inc addtl to service?? Anyone?)
3) service, maintenance and tyres plan covering 80,000miles (48 months) - £104.87 per month

After getting these quotes (which I think seem expensive) I also spoke to the service team who gave me the following prices for ad hoc servicing:

1) Oil change service £218.12 (est every 19k miles)
2) Inspection only service (no oil) £129.60 19k interval
3) Inspection only service (no oil) £158.40 38k interval
4) Inspection & Oil change £275.72 19k interval
5) Inspection & Oil change £304.52 38k interval
6) Pollen Filter Replacement @ 2yrs/19k £32.59
7) Spark Plugs Replacement @ 40k £128.50
8) Air Filter Replacement @ 40k £49.56
9) STronic Oil Change @ 40k £142.30
10) Brake Fluid Change @ 3yrs £59
11) Haldex Oil Change @ 3yrs £80.32

Using my estimation that I will probably change at 2-3yrs and expect to do close to 20k per year I reckon each option will cost me the following:

1) Service Plan - £1887.48 + 3 x all tyre changes = £4107.48 (not sure what to include for maintenance)
2) Service & Maintenance - £2900.16 + 3 x all tyre changes = £5120.16
3) Service & Maintenance & Tyres - £3775.32 (have I estimated too many tyres???)
4) Ad hoc - £1413.41 + 3 x all tyre changes = £3663.41 (not sure what to include for maintenance)
- have included 3 services & oil changes and everything else up to 60k mileage

Am I missing something here?? What is included in maintenance? I guess bulbs/wipers/brake discs & pads.... Any ideas what else? I reckon I can add another £1500 for all that? Would be interesting to see what they deem as fair tyre wear??

Therefore;
1) £5607.48
2) £5120.16
3) £3775.32
4) £5163.41

Well all in seems to be the best option.... Seems like a lot per month but I think it makes sense??? Might ask if price would change for a 3yr plan???

Sorry for rambling.... Any thoughts?

New cars shouldnt need that amount of money spending on them, surely !

I think its overkill

New cars shouldnt need that amount of money spending on them, surely !

I think its overkill

For some reason it posted that twice !

Obviously you gotta look after your car

But the prices are crazy....thats because the labour rate is around £125 to £150 an hour inc vat

Not sure it's quite that much but it is expensive but that's main dealers prices and to keep warranty I think that is what you gotta do... I'm hoping someone else has a cost from their dealer for this so that we can compare as there shouldn't be much difference as it should be an Audi regulated plan....?? I could be wrong though...??

Which bit you think is overkill mate?

Personally I would think the £1500 is way over the top. My last A3 I kept for 40,000 miles and had 2 services (at 19k and 38k) and one s-tronic oil change (with the 38k service). I used 6 tyres and the only other thing I purchased was a set of wiper blades. I bought the car in 2009 and sold it in 2012.
The services cost around £275 plus the s-tronic oil change at £120. The tyres were around £100 each and the wipers £20 for the pair.

Totals costs:

Services - £550
s-tronic oil change - £120
6x tyres at £100 - £600
wiper blades - £20

Total cost for service etc 40,000 miles - £1290.

Now I know this was 2009-2012 and cost have gone up but the first service on my current 2012 8P at 19k was £305 and I have already purchased 2 tyres at £105 each and just put two more on the front on Monday which cost £95 each and I have just purchased a new set of wiper blades for £19. The car has now done 24,000 miles.

So I think allowing for service costs for 60,000 miles over 3 years of just over £5,000 is way over the top.

Reactions: warren_S5
Mine is an S3 not A3 and my estimate was for up to 60k. I fully expect to have a brakes overhaul in there which will be upwards of £1000. Throw in some bulb changes on LED's (fingers crossed I'm wrong!!) and a set of wiper blades and I expect to be approaching the £1300-£1500 mark...

Tyres were estimated at £185 a corner and all 4 to be changed at between 10-15k.. Which I think is plausible...?

This is why I wanted to ask people though....

Mine is an S3 not A3 and my estimate was for up to 60k. I fully expect to have a brakes overhaul in there which will be upwards of £1000. Throw in some bulb changes on LED's (fingers crossed I'm wrong!!) and a set of wiper blades and I expect to be approaching the £1300-£1500 mark...

Tyres were estimated at £185 a corner and all 4 to be changed at between 10-15k.. Which I think is plausible...?

Tyres are £125 a corner fitted for Michelins PS3 I just had 4 on my S3 so thats £240 difference already...

You can get tyres for less than that - I got a set of 4 PS3s for £600 fitted last time I needed them doing. Wear will depend on driving style but I get 25k per set with a fairly heavy right foot. The S3 has more power so it will probably wear tyres a bit faster. I'd say 15-20k should be a reasonable estimate.

Brakes shouldn't be £1k+ for an S3 really, they're not that special. Also I'd expect the LEDS to last for 60k miles without changes - they don't blow like normal bulbs do.

Why not look at the service schedule in the handbook/service book when you get the car and work it out from there

You can get tyres for less than that - I got a set of 4 PS3s for £600 fitted last time I needed them doing. Wear will depend on driving style but I get 25k per set with a fairly heavy right foot. The S3 has more power so it will probably wear tyres a bit faster. I'd say 15-20k should be a reasonable estimate.

Brakes shouldn't be £1k+ for an S3 really, they're not that special. Also I'd expect the LEDS to last for 60k miles without changes - they don't blow like normal bulbs do.

Thanks for the input fellas. Even at 15-20k though that would still be 3 sets for 60k. But with the lower cost that reduces the overall tyres budget by £720. Good news but all in option still looks best...

I think I disagree about the brakes - discs and pads all round will almost definitely cost £1k+. Although obviously I will speak to dealer to confirm... I agree on LED's I was just being a bit pessimistic...

Why not look at the service schedule in the handbook/service book when you get the car and work it out from there

My car only arrived at the dealer yesterday so haven't had a chance to do that... Although the pricing that I listed for services etc was given to me by the dealer service dept so I expect they have done that already... If you have an S3 already are you able to have a quick look in your booklet?