• 12 Post By Itguy
  • 1 Post By Itguy
  • 1 Post By veeeight

Thread: As requested: How to use a polisher to remove swirls

5th Gear

Status

As requested: How to use a polisher to remove swirls

Hi everyone

i promised a little while ago that I would do this video showing the basics of claying, polishing etc.

so here you are! Our golf has a much more shiny bonnet now!

Louay, warren_S3, Leeber and 9 others like this.
    Build Week 1: Panther Black S3 SB S-Tronic, black nappa, anthracite alloys, comfort pack with adaptive cruise and parking plus, active lane assist, adaptive xenons with variable range control and auto high beam, technology package HIGH with connect, B&O, tyre pressure warning, fold/dim/dip/heat mirrors, reversible boot liner, extended mono pur interior, privacy glass, hill hold assist, LED interior light pack, electric lumber support.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    Fantastic Video mate, super job, is that a motorbike i can see in the corner of your garage?
    2014 Audi A3 1.4 TFSI S Line Glacier White

5th Gear

Status
    You betcha. My wife's Vespa next to my duke 696
    Build Week 1: Panther Black S3 SB S-Tronic, black nappa, anthracite alloys, comfort pack with adaptive cruise and parking plus, active lane assist, adaptive xenons with variable range control and auto high beam, technology package HIGH with connect, B&O, tyre pressure warning, fold/dim/dip/heat mirrors, reversible boot liner, extended mono pur interior, privacy glass, hill hold assist, LED interior light pack, electric lumber support.

1st Gear

Status
    Good video, you're good at the polishing and not too bad at film production!

5th Gear

Status
    Thanks, my first ever YouTube tutorial!

Neutral

Status
    Great Video Mr Itguy thanks for sharing,tell me one thing, why blue masking tape and not the beige one?
    A1 1.6 TDI S Line SOLD

Ordered
    A3 Saloon S-line 1 4 cod S-Tronic, Misano Red, B & O ,Comfort package, Door mirrors electrically adjustable, folding and heated,Electric lumbar support, mono.pur. Interior lighting package,Privacy glass,S line sports
    suspension,Technology package,Alcantara / leather, Tyre pressure loss indicator,. Freebies So Far, Gap Insurance, 1 yrs Free Service, Rubber Mats all Round, Astrays, Set Of Tech Leads.

Neutral

Status
    Thanks very informative and easy to watch

5th Gear

Status
    The blue masking tape is some 3M stuff that I bought from cleanyourcar.co.uk and its a bit thicker and doesn't leave any kind of sticky behind. Not sure of the exact differences but it just works a bit better.
    Oyster likes this.

Neutral

Status
    Is this machine easy to use? looks similar to a angle grinder which was my trade mark.
    A1 1.6 TDI S Line SOLD

Ordered
    A3 Saloon S-line 1 4 cod S-Tronic, Misano Red, B & O ,Comfort package, Door mirrors electrically adjustable, folding and heated,Electric lumbar support, mono.pur. Interior lighting package,Privacy glass,S line sports
    suspension,Technology package,Alcantara / leather, Tyre pressure loss indicator,. Freebies So Far, Gap Insurance, 1 yrs Free Service, Rubber Mats all Round, Astrays, Set Of Tech Leads.

Neutral

Status
    Great for a first Youtube tutorial Will.
    Given your obvious expertise, would be interested to know what treatments you have planned for the S3 in March.
    Delivered 1 March 2014, Estoril blue S3 Sportback STronic. B&O, Comfort, Aluminium rails, Interior Lights, Through load, lumbar, SD Sat Nav,TPM, Rev Mat.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Oyster View Post
    Is this machine easy to use? looks similar to a angle grinder which was my trade mark.
    That G220 is a dual-action machine, so it differs from an angle grinder which is just orbital.

Having said that, a DA machine is much safer in the hands of a beginner, the chances of burnishing or overheating the lacquer are reduced with a DA, much easier to do damage with an orbital machine.

The pros will always choose an orbital, as they can achieve results quicker (but riskier for the beginner, obviously) - but having said all that the Audi clear coat is one of the hardest in the industry. To contrast, if you owned a brand new Civic - you just wouldn't wash it, the clear coat is that soft it would fall off.
    Oyster likes this.

S3 8V 3DR DSG ACC ABS ADS AMI ASR ASS DAB DBW DIS DRL EBA EBD EDL EGR EPB EPS ESP GPS LED MFSW MMI PDC PSF RAC SDXC TFSI CO2 EEC OTR WTF OMG

5th Gear

Status
    Not sure what I will need to do with the s3 yet. Obviously I haven't ordered life shine or anything from the dealer so it will need sealing as a minimum. Really depends how it looks when I get it.

I'm tempted to try a ceramic coat but haven't applied one before so would need to gen up first