Audi Connect retrofit

ConS3

Reaction score
Hey guys. Not sure of the answer. Down here in Oz, we don't have the option of speccing Audi Connect on the S3. We also have very limited services for those models that do get Audi Connect. Regardless, does anyone know if it can be retrofitted some how?

Reactions: SlightlyYapper and OZAudi84
I second this question if anybody is able to help.

Reactions: SlightlyYapper
I would be interested to know if this can be done also?
I ordered the tech pack but no audi connect as I didn't think I would use it much, but I have now changed jobs so spend a couple of hours each day enjoying the commute in the my A3 so would really find the live traffic useful!

At least you'd need the unit that goes in the glove box, then a new screen, which might not fit in the dash. The associated wiring and a gps aerial...

At least you'd need the unit that goes in the glove box, then a new screen, which might not fit in the dash. The associated wiring and a gps aerial...

Why would we need a new screen? We have sat nav and MMI as standard here. Same screen you guys get. Which also means we have the wiring/antenna.

Shouldn't need a new screen, it's the same as the standard tech pack. As for whether you need a new MMI unit or not, I don't know - the telephony equipment might be in all the models but disabled in some. There are licences involved for some things though (like text message dictation)

The MMI system with the SD card used a 5.8" screen and the Audi connect uses a 7" screen with a high resolution. I doubt if the graphics card will be compatible with the lower resolution, smaller, screen, as has been stated before. I was only suggesting that the screen also might be physically larger, all well and good for fitting the higher resolution one if they are the same size...

Last edited:
The MMI system with the SD card used a 5.8" screen and the Audi connect uses a 7" screen with a high resolution. I doubt if the graphics card will be compatible with the higher screen, as has been stated before. I was only suggesting that the screen also might be physically larger, all well and good for fitting the higher resolution one if they are the same size...

I should have mentioned that as well. We get the higher res 7" screen here. It's actually standard on the car, not even an option. So that's not an issue.

I've heard back from Hazzy Dayz on what can be done, and it turns out nothing. Audi Connect requires an account that must be configured to connect to the Audi servers to enable the services. Go figure haha. More proprietary stuff!

So, the only real way to get it to work would be if Audi comes out with kit themselves. Even then, not sure how it would work.

Reactions: OZAudi84
That's good about the screen, halfway there. Just needs somebody brave enough to do it, maybe a unit from a scrapper?

But Connect uses Audi servers to provide the information to the car, I can't see Audi offering to setup Connect accounts for retro-fitted cars therefore even with all the correct hardware it'd be unlikely to do much good.

I work in IT, and the way Audi has designed this system goes back to the stone age almost haha. I've dug around, and found a few more reasons as to why a retrofit isn't possible:

1. Google maps are cached on the unit. The hard drive on the Audi Connect version is larger to accommodate for this.
2. Here's the killer (the nerd in me speaks!). Audi has actually hard coded the devices access point to the UMTS module, and it can't be changed. Not only that, but the UMTS module itself also can't be changed. Who actually hard codes these things still? I guess Audi!

The only real way to get this to work is to buy a complete unit from Audi with the Connect services. I can't picture anyone wanting to do that simply to get Facebook in their car.

Reactions: Bandicoot51
Very informative Con.

Apart from Google Maps though, I'd have little use for FB and Twitter etc. in the car. I had online connectivity in my A45 and found it to be pretty much useless.

I can't comment on whether Audi hard code modules but suspect their approach to prevent this is for security ie To avoid a repeat of the near rampant theft from vehicles and retrofit that afflicted the 8P RNS-E Sat-Nav units.

A related secondary effect is to stop people trying to retrofit & get more purchases at time of order.

2. Here's the killer (the nerd in me speaks!). Audi has actually hard coded the devices access point to the UMTS module, and it can't be changed. Not only that, but the UMTS module itself also can't be changed. Who actually hard codes these things still? I guess Audi!

How do you know this?

Research, and speaking with a few companies who offer retrofit kits for other components of VAG cars.

Hm, that's a shame. I was hoping to be able to change the endpoint to a custom one at some point. There are other ways around it I'm sure, bit still a bit annoying!

That's amazing. Didn't know there would be detailed information like that.

On a side question I've got the standard screen. Can I get the high end kit (higher res screen) and the hard drive version would it be a straight swap?

I don't think so. Because the screens are different resolutions they need different control units to drive them. The high res screen needs the full "tech pack" processor unit to drive it (the bit with the DVD Drive and SD Slots in your glovebox), which also means a new input / touch controller in the centre console. There may be other wiring harness changes etc.

It might be possible, but I suspect by the time you've bought the high res screen, the "tech pack" processor unit and the touch controls you'd be looking at well over £1k just in parts. A chap on here did try just plugging in the high res screen into the standard MMI system and it wasn't compatible.

Hi guys, reviving an old question maybe...

Would it not be possible for those with the standard SD satnav 5.8" that just want a bigger screen (no resolution or anything) to simply make a panel and controller swap inside the monitor unit?
Similar to what the NaviTouch does but without the touchscreen panel.

Cheers

Reactions: Schizophonic
God, why would anyone want to replace the 8V screen with a touchsceen? The MMI is a great input method

Hi guys, reviving an old question maybe...

Would it not be possible for those with the standard SD satnav 5.8" that just want a bigger screen (no resolution or anything) to simply make a panel and controller swap inside the monitor unit?
Similar to what the NaviTouch does but without the touchscreen panel.

Cheers

This is such a simple yet effective idea. The risk look minimal and no real issues. Definitely going to be looking into this! Great work!