Sky InsuranceVolks Autos
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By veeeight
  • 1 Post By constvoid

Thread: Have you got ACC Adaptive Cruise Control on your 8V A3 S3 ?

5th Gear

Status

Have you got ACC Adaptive Cruise Control on your 8V A3 S3 ?

If you have, have you tested out the Pre Sense Front feature?

Under 18mph, it should brake autonomously (full braking) for you, if it detects a stationary or slow moving object in front of you = collision avoidance.

Over 18mph, it should apply partial braking for you, then when you apply the brake pedal, it will calculate the additional brake pressure required to avoid collision and apply that for you.

Have you tested yours?

Would love to see a YouTube video of you driving up to some tall cardboard boxes wrapped in tin foil at 15mph !

Audi Pre Sense Front | Euro NCAP - For safer cars crash test safety rating

There is a demo of this on an A6: cartechnical | Audi safety track test - YouTube

S3 8V 3DR DSG ACC ABS ADS AMI ASR ASS DAB DBW DIS DRL EBA EBD EDL EGR EPB EPS ESP GPS LED MFSW MMI PDC PSF RAC SDXC TFSI CO2 EEC OTR WTF OMG

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Tested in that it's gone off twice on me now... not actually tried to test it on purpose! Both times it was when a car was turning off the road in front of me, and would have been out the way before I got there so I carried on, but the car didn't think so! Probably a bit close, that's all :P
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

6th Gear

Status
    Although you feel the brake assist part of it reasonably often. At least I do. It adds extra braking force if there is something in front of you that you need to stop behind, does that quite a bit. It's good, I like it. Some might not though.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

5th Gear

Status
    This is crying out for a DIY test on some tin foil wrapped cardboard boxes! Be sure to post the video on YouTube!

S3 8V 3DR DSG ACC ABS ADS AMI ASR ASS DAB DBW DIS DRL EBA EBD EDL EGR EPB EPS ESP GPS LED MFSW MMI PDC PSF RAC SDXC TFSI CO2 EEC OTR WTF OMG

1st Gear

Status
    ive had the pre-sense triggered quite a few times. a few false alarms, but the times it has reacted correctly, its been almost the same time that I started to take action myself.

The most times I've had it trigger is if a car drastically changes speed in front of me, such as making a late left turn without indicating. The car seems to calculate a rapid deceleration of the car in front i guess. If the car in front slows down at normal speed then no alarm, but im scared to get close enough for it to brake for me!

False alarm seem to be triggered when overtaking large lorrys carrying lots of metal! such as a fuel tanker
    Audi A3 Sportback S line 1.8 TFSI S tronic - Scuba Blue
    Technology package - High with Audi Connect/Interior lighting package/Driver assistance package/Light and rain sensor package/Adaptive Xenon Plus headlights with variable range control/Advanced key/Aluminum roof rails/Audi pre sense/Auto-dimming rear-view mirror/Bang & Olufsen/Door mirrors-dimming, electrically adjustable,folding and heated/Heated seats/Audi side assist/Audi active lane assist/Rear side airbags/Tyre pressure loss indicator

BGS
    1st Gear

Status
    Not tested mine as such but have experienced it once with a car in front not pulling fully in to a filter lane to turn right. My car picked it up as an obstacle and applied the brakes on the way past.
    A3 1.4tfsi CoD Saloon Stron Sline - Misano Red & 19's
    Advanced Key, Mag Ride, Parking Plus, B&O Sound, Driver Assist Pack, Extended Mono Interior, Super Sport Seats, Heated Seats, Hold Assist, Int Lighting, LED Headlights, Prog Steering, Reversing Cam, Tech Pack - High.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by veeeight View Post
    This is crying out for a DIY test on some tin foil wrapped cardboard boxes! Be sure to post the video on YouTube!
    I've seen someone try a similar test with an A5 or something on youtube - it didn't work! Maybe it needs a bit more mass or more metal for it to detect it.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by BGS View Post
    Not tested mine as such but have experienced it once with a car in front not pulling fully in to a filter lane to turn right. My car picked it up as an obstacle and applied the brakes on the way past.
    Ive also noticed the ACC wont let you undertake cars!
    Technology package - High with Audi Connect/Interior lighting package/Driver assistance package/Light and rain sensor package/Adaptive Xenon Plus headlights with variable range control/Advanced key/Aluminum roof rails/Audi pre sense/Auto-dimming rear-view mirror/Bang & Olufsen/Door mirrors-dimming, electrically adjustable,folding and heated/Heated seats/Audi side assist/Audi active lane assist/Rear side airbags/Tyre pressure loss indicator

6th Gear

Status
    It will if it sees a car in front of you undertake as well, it's smart! I think it's because it isn't sure about whether the car may be partly in your lane or not, rather than it taking some kind of stand against undertaking!

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    It will if it sees a car in front of you undertake as well, it's smart! I think it's because it isn't sure about whether the car may be partly in your lane or not, rather than it taking some kind of stand against undertaking!
    Definitely a case of deja-vu here, but I'm absolutely convinced it is being smart about overtaking on the wrong side - if only because there's no hesitation when overtaking on the correct side even if the car you're overtaking is very close to the line.

Regarding pre-sense: I've never had it go off when I'm not using ACC, so it's difficult for me to tell if it's normal ACC slowing the car to a halt, or whether pre-sense would have done the same if ACC were not in use.
    Audi A3 Sportback Sport 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic, MY14, Scuba Blue, 15-spoke 17" alloys, Comfort Pack with ACC, Interior Lighting Pack, Audi Sound System.

6th Gear

Status
    Yes, I agree - I think it is more lenient on one side than the other because of overtaking.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by constvoid View Post
    Definitely a case of deja-vu here, but I'm absolutely convinced it is being smart about overtaking on the wrong side - if only because there's no hesitation when overtaking on the correct side even if the car you're overtaking is very close to the line.

Regarding pre-sense: I've never had it go off when I'm not using ACC, so it's difficult for me to tell if it's normal ACC slowing the car to a halt, or whether pre-sense would have done the same if ACC were not in use.
    I think its unlikely to get pre-sense alarms when using ACC.

Depending how you drive/where you drive you might never get pre-sense alarms

When not using ACC if i get too close to the car in front for too long, i get a red flashing warning. If i car slows down drastically then I get a warning. Ive only experienced a brake jolt in false alerts so far

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by andywil13 View Post
    When not using ACC if i get too close to the car in front for too long, i get a red flashing warning. If i car slows down drastically then I get a warning. Ive only experienced a brake jolt in false alerts so far
    Pretty much the same, though I have had it intervene and help with the braking when the car in front of me pretty much emergency stopped before. The red warning is telling you that pre-sense may not be able to prevent a collision in time if something happens given the distance you are from the car in front.

5th Gear

Status
    I thought the red warning was the first initial warning, along with the "Bong" ?
    Then comes the haptic braking "jolt" to wake you up
    Then 30% partial braking?

6th Gear

Status
    Depends what you mean by the red warning. There is one that comes up on the DIS with the 'bong', but I was talking about the ACC light on the instrument cluster that flashes red, which happens before any action is taken by pre-sense, and before the warning mentioned above.

5th Gear

Status
    Oh, I didn't realise you got a red warning light, before the red DIS warning light !!

6th Gear

Status
    Yes - that's the bit that is warning of you being too close to the car in front for pre-sense to be able to stop you in time. It's there even if the car in front isn't slowing down / braking relative to you, whereas the rest of it kicks in when the closing speed between your car and the one in front starts increasing.

Full LED baby !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by constvoid View Post

In the VCDS when you go to the ACC module, there is a code that says something like : forbid illegal overtaking : activated
    A3 3-door TDI 184 Quattro Stronic Brilliant Red : Sline kit - Auxiliary heating - LED headlights - 18" 10-spoke rims - audi connect - magnetic ride - driver assistance package - side assist - rear camera + park assist - alcantara/leather seats - auto dimming mirror - panoramic glass sunroof - towing equipment - electric lumbar support - heated front seats - hold assist - high beam assist - advanced key - B&O sound system etc
    Tuning box DTUK, 235hp/480Nm
    1/4 Mile 13.84 @ 95.2 MPH
    Porsche BBK...

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by andywil13 View Post
    Ive also noticed the ACC wont let you undertake cars!
    Can you not just pull the cruise stalk towards you to "confirm" the undertake, where by it eventually learns its OK?

Or is that just an urban myth?
    cemerson likes this.

6th Gear

Status
    No, you can do that. It doesn't 'learn' anything though. If it sees cars in front of you undertaking the car it'll just undertake without a problem. If not, it'll pause there (or go proceed very slowly), unless you just give a quick pull back on the CC stalk, when it'll accelerate again.

3rd Gear

Status
    What sensor do we all gave at the front ? Blank plate or round lens ?

Neutral

Status
    I got the round lens...

6th Gear

Status
    Round lens for me, got mine before the flat one was introduced. I understand I would have got the flat one if I had ordered now though.

5th Gear

Status
    My new s3 has the round one and it was build week 1. I haven't ordered the assistance pack but did order lane assist.
    Build Week 1: Panther Black S3 SB S-Tronic, black nappa, anthracite alloys, comfort pack with adaptive cruise and parking plus, active lane assist, adaptive xenons with variable range control and auto high beam, technology package HIGH with connect, B&O, tyre pressure warning, fold/dim/dip/heat mirrors, reversible boot liner, extended mono pur interior, privacy glass, hill hold assist, LED interior light pack, electric lumber support.

6th Gear

Status
    I can't remember what the rules are now... perhaps I would have got the round one then as I was the same as Itguy!

3rd Gear

Status
    hmm wonder what it is like if you went abroad?

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Butler View Post
    hmm wonder what it is like if you went abroad?
    In a previous discussion on this, we concluded that if you have satnav fitted ACC will use the appropriate country rules for overtaking on the left/right. As I don't have satnav (I prefer my TOMTOM with live updates) my ACC 'learns' which side is correct based on prevailing traffic patterns. This means that it can be confused in traffic queues if the nearside lane is moving fater than the offside one, but once out of the queue it eventually resets itself. In this situation I sometimes have to encourage it to overtake with the accelerator or by pulling the CC lever, until it has re-learned what is correct.
    cemerson likes this.
    Audi A3 Sportback Sport 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic, MY14, Scuba Blue, 15-spoke 17" alloys, Comfort Pack with ACC, Interior Lighting Pack, Audi Sound System.

5th Gear

Status
    VW Up! in City Emergency Braking Test:

VW Golf Advert:

mls
    Neutral

Status
    I'm excited about the traffic stop/go feature of ACC ! That will be SOOOOOO useful

5th Gear

Status
    In the news today - Autonomous Emergency Braking

BBC News - Insurers call for automated braking