Badger5EM Tuning
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 41 to 78 of 78
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Working up an A3 spec

  1. #41
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    3,224
    Anyway, it sounds like resale value is pretty irrelevant since it's a company car.

    Maybe a bit OTT, but I'm really happy with my Sport + Xenon Pack, just getting fed up of people assuming they know what I want from my car and tell me I should have gone for S-line because of <insert reason here> (not just this thread, but across several threads on the subject) and usually stated with a smug 'matter of fact' attitude despite not having a clue what the person wants from their car.

    Let's leave it at that - it's all up to Euan really, but looks like a good spec to me - though I agree with the above comments about considering the tech pack. Apparently the difference in resolution is very noticeable (though I've not seen a standard screen myself), and you get some other bits as well with it.
    h5djr likes this.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #42
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    19
    Thanks for the comments guys. I'll take another look at the technology pack which I think is £1,000 more than the SD card Sat Nav.

    The SLine is unlikely to be cost effective as it's really £1k of added cost for no benefit.

  4. #43
    Daveotto's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Posts
    906
    Quote Originally Posted by Euan View Post
    The SLine is unlikely to be cost effective as it's really £1k of added cost for no benefit.

    Hmm....body kit, 18"inch wheels, xenons, flat bottomed steering wheel, biathlon seats etc etc.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

  5. #44
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveotto View Post
    Hmm....body kit, 18"inch wheels, xenons, flat bottomed steering wheel, biathlon seats etc etc.
    Don't get me wrong, I appreciate there are benefits to the SLine (as you've mentioned) but they just don't appeal to me as must haves.

  6. #45
    Daveotto's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Posts
    906
    Quote Originally Posted by Euan View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I appreciate there are benefits to the SLine (as you've mentioned) but they just don't appeal to me as must haves.
    Fair point, just noting that if the bits you get on s-line float your boat you get a fair bit of value. I starred speccing at sport trim but for me was a no brainier to go for s-line
    PilotAudi and lloydie1994 like this.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

  7. #46
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveotto View Post
    Fair point, just noting that if the bits you get on s-line float your boat you get a fair bit of value. I starred speccing at sport trim but for me was a no brainier to go for s-line
    I agree, for some the bits in the s-line will be appealing.

  8. #47
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    3,224
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveotto View Post
    Hmm....body kit, 18"inch wheels, xenons, flat bottomed steering wheel, biathlon seats etc etc.
    Body kits are for boy racers IMO :P 18" Wheels = less comfortable. Flat bottomed steering wheel - more of a pain to use and not really needed, just looks silly on a hatchback. Biathlon seats - not as nice as leather/alcantara I think, which I specced.

    The things you list just don't appeal to some people.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

  9. #48
    Banned

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    SW
    Posts
    2,353
    I think Cemeson you and Dave are rare on this forum in hating the things you do.
    Hopefully it isn't catching but recognise your right to have an opinion, bizarre though it may seem.

    Have you experienced the FBSW or Sline seats? I have and like them!
    Anarch likes this.

  10. #49
    Daveotto's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Posts
    906
    Isn't choice a wonderful thing.........ŵe have come a long way from Henry Fords famous " you can have any colour as long as it's black"
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI S-line, - Daytona Grey, comfort pack, interior light pack , aluminium roof rails, Audi speakers, folding door mirrors, hill hold, sport suspension, no smoking pack.

  11. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by PilotAudi View Post
    I think Cemeson you and Dave are rare on this forum in hating the things you do.
    Hopefully it isn't catching but recognise your right to have an opinion, bizarre though it may seem.

    Have you experienced the FBSW or Sline seats? I have and like them!
    I have experienced both the FBSW and S-Line seats and don't like either of them. The are quite a number of other options I have experienced on the various A3s and Golfs I have had extended test drives in over the past months.

    When I place my order it will be what I personally want. It may appear 'bizarre' to some and will not be following the current fashion or be PilotAudi approved but it will h5djr approved. I have never been one to follow the crowd. That's just one of the many things I like about Audi. They offer us lots of choices and the individual can choose what they want rather have to take what some marketing person has decided are 'must haves' and that 'everyone' will want.

    My decisions may not be what most members on the forum would choose but, being retired, my requirements are somewhat different to, for example, someone choosing a company car or a car to use in connection with their job. When it comes to trade-in time, used-car buyers often have totally different 'likes' to new company car buyers. This has been shown by the good trade-in price I am offered and the easy with which 'my choice' optioned car is sold on by my dealer. Having already owned 23 cars, 5 of which have been Golfs, 12 have been Audi's, 8 of which have been A3s, I thing I know what I want from my next car. The 8V may not be able to provide everything I would want but it's a lot closer than any other car I have looked at.

    So by all means choose what ever model and options you want and I will do the same. By all means offer advice about what options are available and what they include as I will continue to do but don't think everyone has the same requirements or 'wants' as you. Accept that everyone is different and don't just follow the crowd.
    cemerson likes this.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

  12. #51
    Banned

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    SW
    Posts
    2,353
    It's what individuals want that matters rather than how many cars we've had. Justifying personal choice seems to be a feature here and I stand by my informed view that Dave and Emerson are atypical in their choice of spec. I also fail to see what being retired or age has to do with the price of fish! ;-)

  13. #52
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Horsham
    Posts
    225
    Jesus ladies, can we put the handbags away now? It's getting boring! The discussion on the value of individual options vs levels of trim is a very interesting and valid one which many of us will be able to benefit from.

    However, there a few individuals on this forum that hold very strong, forthright opinions and are utterly incapable of stating them in a way that doesn't come across as obnoxious to others. As such many many threads that start off with very interesting discussions inevitably descend into petty willy-waving contests. Personally I'm getting sick of it and find myself visiting this great forum less and less as a result of it. A little bit of humility would go a very long way.

  14. #53
    Banned

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    SW
    Posts
    2,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveotto View Post
    Isn't choice a wonderful thing.........ŵe have come a long way from Henry Fords famous " you can have any colour as long as it's black"
    We're sticking with Black for the S3.. Nearly went Estoril but given developments glad we didn't !

    I agree with Dave about earlier posts, whilst it is never my intention to upset anyone, I do think folks should challenge the status quo. For example there are those who will want a sport with 4k worth of options others will want S Line with 1k options.


    What I am suggesting is that generally speaking at sale time/lease end the value of options is minimal whereas buying a better spec provides a return (circa 50% at 3 years)


    On the above example £25k sport + 4k options (cost 29k) worth 12.5k
    28K S line with 1k (cost 29k same ) options worth 14k. I know what I would rather do but of course there are those who will want to do something completely different. NOTE FOR DAVE AND EMERSON.. These are my personal views, no right or wrong just IMHO sound business and family financial sense.
    Last edited by PilotAudi; 28th January 2014 at 16:13.

  15. #54
    voorhees's Avatar
    Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Leafy Warwickshire
    Posts
    14,890
    Quote Originally Posted by PilotAudi View Post
    I think Cemeson you and Dave are rare on this forum in hating the things you do.
    Hopefully it isn't catching but recognise your right to have an opinion, bizarre though it may seem.
    When I buy a car I look for what I like on it,I find it 'bizarre' that some people like you PA are having a dig at others who don't go for exactly the same extras as you for whatever reason.

    Also I thought he reasoning behind options is for buyers to tailor the car to suit what they want not for them to tick the same boxes like sheep.
    Daveotto, cemerson and MA3RC like this.

  16. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by PilotAudi View Post
    NOTE FOR DAVE AND EMERSON.. These are my personal views, no right or wrong just IMHO sound business and family financial sense.
    If you are going to keep having a dig at us will you please do us the honour of getting our names correct.

    I'm sure you consider your views as "sound business and financial sense" but personally I don't consider buying a new car with options that I don't want or like makes any kind of sense at all, even if after three years driving a car I don't like would give me more money at trade-in time.

    In my case my dealer always take the basic 'book' price for my basic model and then up's the price for some of the main options I have fitted.
    Last edited by h5djr; 29th January 2014 at 11:08.
    cemerson likes this.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

  17. #56
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    19
    Anyway, the end result is that I've not gone for SLine spec. For me, I didn't personally value the added benefits (other than Xenon) and meant I could use the saved cost to get benefits that I do value. Not really bothered about resale value - it's a company car so I say goodbye in 4 years and say hello to something new.

    Whilst I was intending getting (and thought I was) the 1.4 TFSI 122 I am getting the 1.4 TFSI 140 (about £1 more per month!) so pleased with that.

  18. #57
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    3,224
    Sounds good - what else have you got in your spec?
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

  19. #58
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    Sounds good - what else have you got in your spec?
    Cheers.

    Audi Sound System
    Comfort Pack
    Parking System Plus (upgrade from the basic option that comes with Comfort Pack)
    Hill Hold Assist
    Removable towing equipment
    SD Card Sat Nat
    Tyre Pressure Monitor
    Xenon Light Pack
    Non-smoking pack
    Deletion of model & engine at rear

    Also opted for different alloys from standard Sport ones, Monsoon grey metallic paint and the black rallye cloth interior.
    h5djr and cemerson like this.

  20. #59
    Stronic

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    88
    Looks a very nice spec, Euan, which, as you can see from my post yesterday on the 'Saloon ordered' thread, is very similar to mine.....good choice of colour!

  21. #60
    Neutral

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    64
    I am about to order a 1.4 COD Sportback Sport with xenons. The salesman asked me why not go for the S-Line which is only £1,200 more.

    The main reason I don't want this is that I don't want the 18" wheels, I don't want the black headlining and I do want the SE suspension. I don't like the look of S-Lines with the higher ground clearance.

    I do care about resale value but I care more about getting the car that's right for me.

  22. #61
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    260
    Must have's for me are satnav, B&O, park sensors at rear (for the wife!) and everything else is standard on the S3 that I want (heated seats, leather, etc) Auto headlights, rain sensors, folding elec mirrors, the 'please steal my car' button, etc - all nice to have, but just jewellery really. They won't matter a jot on the price when you trade the car. I must admit however that I have splashed out for buckets and black styling pack on my new car. Wheels? I don't get this 18" are uncomfortable thing at all. Had 18" wheels on my last S3, no issues at all. Had 19's on my last two cars actually and they weren't exactly uncomfortable either - may be it has something to do with the suspension, not the wheels
    Last edited by SilureMark; 30th January 2014 at 13:37.
    PilotAudi and BGS like this.
    S3 Misano Red | s tronic | super sport seats | black styling pack|10 spoke matt titanium alloys | privacy glass|technology pack high with mobile | audi sound system | through load | light & rain sensor pack | rear parking sensors | electric folding mirrors | tyre pressure monitoring | non smoking pack | registered 06/06/2014

  23. #62
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    3,224
    'Please steal my car button' - er, what? You must be looking a different brochure to me!
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

  24. #63
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    'Please steal my car button' - er, what? You must be looking a different brochure to me!
    That's the start button - access your car with a laptop through the port under the dash and see you later. Mate had his BMW stolen like that, no keys needed ...
    S3 Misano Red | s tronic | super sport seats | black styling pack|10 spoke matt titanium alloys | privacy glass|technology pack high with mobile | audi sound system | through load | light & rain sensor pack | rear parking sensors | electric folding mirrors | tyre pressure monitoring | non smoking pack | registered 06/06/2014

  25. #64
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    3,224
    Yes, BMW had a known weakness in their system. Fact is, if someone wants your car, they will get it whatever you have in place. It's no less secure than using a physical key (which can easily be got around as well).
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

  26. #65
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    Yes, BMW had a known weakness in their system. Fact is, if someone wants your car, they will get it whatever you have in place. It's no less secure than using a physical key (which can easily be got around as well).
    Wrong. It is easier to get round than a key and that's a fact. Just ask an expert - as I did when I was considering having it on my next car. It's not just BMW, Audis with keyless ignition are getting stolen in the same way - Essex police found a whole warehouse full of stolen cars where they'd accessed the OBD port to steal cars with keyless ignition systems... even Watchdog ran a programme on it... no way I'd spec that feature on any car of mine in the current climate - personally I think car manufacturers dropped the ball on this one.
    Last edited by SilureMark; 30th January 2014 at 13:57.
    S3 Misano Red | s tronic | super sport seats | black styling pack|10 spoke matt titanium alloys | privacy glass|technology pack high with mobile | audi sound system | through load | light & rain sensor pack | rear parking sensors | electric folding mirrors | tyre pressure monitoring | non smoking pack | registered 06/06/2014

  27. #66
    Banned

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    SW
    Posts
    2,353
    I don't get this 18in wheel phobia either. My A7 had 21inch 275/30 now they were a little noisy but not uncomfortable!

  28. #67
    Stronic

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by PilotAudi View Post
    I don't get this 18in wheel phobia either. My A7 had 21inch 275/30 now they were a little noisy but not uncomfortable!
    Wow, PA, either you've got back of steel, or I'm just too old, as I'm pretty sure running on rubber bands like that would certainly feel unfomfortable to me, especially as I found an A3 sline on 18" wheels too 'crashy' for my taste.

  29. #68
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    94
    I agree with these comments to a point, but let's face it if maximising trade in value is the key, buying a new rather than used car doesn't make any sense. For me, I've ordered an A3 Sport rather than S-Line which I would have preferred but that would restrict me to a black interior, which I didn't want. Buying an S-line would have reduced my overall ownership costs when selling in the future, but then I would have had years driving a car with an interior I didn't like, what's the point.
    PilotAudi and JohnnyM100 like this.

  30. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexus View Post
    I agree with these comments to a point, but let's face it if maximising trade in value is the key, buying a new rather than used car doesn't make any sense. For me, I've ordered an A3 Sport rather than S-Line which I would have preferred but that would restrict me to a black interior, which I didn't want. Buying an S-line would have reduced my overall ownership costs when selling in the future, but then I would have had years driving a car with an interior I didn't like, what's the point.
    I spent yesterday driving a 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback S-Line s-tronic quattro and it is not a car I would consider buying. The reason for driving it was the 184 s-tronic quattro rather than the S-Line. I didn't find it comfortable although I know you can change the suspension as a no cost option your have to accept the 18" wheels. I also did not like the black headlining or the FBSW. Again both of these are standard on the S-Line but not on a Sport. No dealers seem to have the 184 in other than S-Line.

    I took an SD card with me with some of my own music and tried both this and the radio. The car had the standard music system and we both (my wife and myself) found it quite acceptable for the very small amount of time we will spend listening to it. The car was Minsano Red white made a change from the all the other demonstrators we have driven which have been Black or White.

    The car was fitted with the built-in navigation system which is the first demonstrator that has had it. We tried it but I still prefer my £100 TomTom. It allows me to have many more of my own choice of POIs and entering names of places also easier. So another specification item confirmed.

    I also got of couple of PCP quotes where I choose to be paying £450 per month. One would have an £8000 deposit and a final payment of £10,580 and a total interest of £3,113.19. The other was a £13,500 deposit which would leave a final payment of just £3,981.45 and less interest of £2,014.45. It would still mean I was paying an additional £2,000 for the car over paying cash. which of course is not earning much in savings accounts at the moment.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

  31. #70
    snakehips's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    North Herts
    Posts
    603
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    I spent yesterday driving a 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback S-Line s-tronic quattro and it is not a car I would consider buying. The reason for driving it was the 184 s-tronic quattro rather than the S-Line. I didn't find it comfortable although I know you can change the suspension as a no cost option your have to accept the 18" wheels. I also did not like the black headlining or the FBSW. Again both of these are standard on the S-Line but not on a Sport. No dealers seem to have the 184 in other than S-Line.

    I took an SD card with me with some of my own music and tried both this and the radio. The car had the standard music system and we both (my wife and myself) found it quite acceptable for the very small amount of time we will spend listening to it. The car was Minsano Red white made a change from the all the other demonstrators we have driven which have been Black or White.

    The car was fitted with the built-in navigation system which is the first demonstrator that has had it. We tried it but I still prefer my £100 TomTom. It allows me to have many more of my own choice of POIs and entering names of places also easier. So another specification item confirmed.

    I also got of couple of PCP quotes where I choose to be paying £450 per month. One would have an £8000 deposit and a final payment of £10,580 and a total interest of £3,113.19. The other was a £13,500 deposit which would leave a final payment of just £3,981.45 and less interest of £2,014.45. It would still mean I was paying an additional £2,000 for the car over paying cash. which of course is not earning much in savings accounts at the moment.
    Quite a few dislikes there but what did you make of the engine? Will you go for it in Sport trim?
    A3 SB S-Line TDi 184PS Quattro S-tronic. Shiraz Red, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Sunroof, LED lights, lots of other stuff.

  32. #71
    BGS
    BGS's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Northampton, UK
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by PilotAudi View Post
    I would not be ordering an Audi then with so many dislikes Dave.
    I think all of the dislikes were optional or part of the S-Line package. Nothing that can't be resolved by unticking a few boxes.
    A3 1.4tfsi CoD Saloon Stron Sline - Misano Red & 19's
    Advanced Key, Mag Ride, Parking Plus, B&O Sound, Driver Assist Pack, Extended Mono Interior, Super Sport Seats, Heated Seats, Hold Assist, Int Lighting, LED Headlights, Prog Steering, Reversing Cam, Tech Pack - High.

  33. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by snakehips View Post
    Quite a few dislikes there but what did you make of the engine? Will you go for it in Sport trim?
    Yes almost certainly. The Sport trim gives me much more of what I like than the S-Line trim and the 184 engine and stronic quattro is available in both trim levels. It is possible with option (2UA) on page 58 of the Price and Specification Guide to choice a no cost option of Deselection of Sports suspension on both the Sport and the S-Line.On page 26 of the same document the S-Line model equipment also says under wheels tyres and suspension that Deselection of the Sports suspension is available as no cost downgrade, but you will still get the 18" wheels.

    Personally I prefer the 17" wheels, Lunar silver headlining and normal round 3-spoke steering wheel of the Sport trim again with the Sports suspension deselected. I don't see the point of paying £2150 more for options I don't want. The only additional items that are standard on the S-Line and optional on the Sport are (QE1) Storage and luggage package (£145) and the Xenon headlights. On the Sport, if you choose the option (WB6) Xenon light package (£1250) it includes the Adaptive headlights whereas with the S-Line and this is a £295 (PXA) option. Every thing else, apart from the S-Line badges and body styling, will be covered by options which are optional on both models.
    cemerson and BGS like this.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

  34. #73
    snakehips's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    North Herts
    Posts
    603
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    Yes almost certainly. The Sport trim gives me much more of what I like than the S-Line trim and the 184 engine and stronic quattro is available in both trim levels. It is possible with option (2UA) on page 58 of the Price and Specification Guide to choice a no cost option of Deselection of Sports suspension on both the Sport and the S-Line.On page 26 of the same document the S-Line model equipment also says under wheels tyres and suspension that Deselection of the Sports suspension is available as no cost downgrade, but you will still get the 18" wheels.

    Personally I prefer the 17" wheels, Lunar silver headlining and normal round 3-spoke steering wheel of the Sport trim again with the Sports suspension deselected. I don't see the point of paying £2150 more for options I don't want. The only additional items that are standard on the S-Line and optional on the Sport are (QE1) Storage and luggage package (£145) and the Xenon headlights. On the Sport, if you choose the option (WB6) Xenon light package (£1250) it includes the Adaptive headlights whereas with the S-Line and this is a £295 (PXA) option. Every thing else, apart from the S-Line badges and body styling, will be covered by options which are optional on both models.
    I agree that S-line is rather dark inside. Would have liked some brighter options in the trim or seats. But irrespective of trim and option choices, the engine (plus Stronic plus Quattro) is the star and I'm glad you are probably going for it.
    A3 SB S-Line TDi 184PS Quattro S-tronic. Shiraz Red, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Sunroof, LED lights, lots of other stuff.

  35. #74
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    3,224
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    Yes almost certainly. The Sport trim gives me much more of what I like than the S-Line trim and the 184 engine and stronic quattro is available in both trim levels. It is possible with option (2UA) on page 58 of the Price and Specification Guide to choice a no cost option of Deselection of Sports suspension on both the Sport and the S-Line.On page 26 of the same document the S-Line model equipment also says under wheels tyres and suspension that Deselection of the Sports suspension is available as no cost downgrade, but you will still get the 18" wheels.

    Personally I prefer the 17" wheels, Lunar silver headlining and normal round 3-spoke steering wheel of the Sport trim again with the Sports suspension deselected. I don't see the point of paying £2150 more for options I don't want. The only additional items that are standard on the S-Line and optional on the Sport are (QE1) Storage and luggage package (£145) and the Xenon headlights. On the Sport, if you choose the option (WB6) Xenon light package (£1250) it includes the Adaptive headlights whereas with the S-Line and this is a £295 (PXA) option. Every thing else, apart from the S-Line badges and body styling, will be covered by options which are optional on both models.
    Exactly my thoughts, pretty much went for exactly what you said. Sport trim with SE suspension, and the storage and luggage pack & Xenon light pack added in as extras (And leather/alcantara)
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

  36. #75
    steeve's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    735
    Quote Originally Posted by PilotAudi View Post
    If leasing check Sline vs sport if you add options.especially xenon. Dead money on sport, standard on Sline and higher RV. Roof bars may be a cheaper way to transport bikes than tow bar !
    I wouldn't ever recommend transporting bikes on roof bars. It drastically increases drag and increases fuel consumption, when its raining it has the similar effect a pressure washer does, forcing water into where it shouldn't be, it can be quite a stretch lifting them up there and lastly if the bikes are dirty (mountain bikes) the mud and crap falls over your nice shiny roof.
    But as I mentioned that's just my take on it, I've experienced all these issues. Oh, and I also have two friends that forgot and drove into a car park........ now that did cause them a problem.
    But your choice.
    Steeve

  37. #76
    Neutral

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    64
    Larger wheels generally worsen ride quality, increase road noise and the tyres cost more to replace.

    On the plus side they generally look better and improve turn in and grip slightly.

    I can understand why many people prefer them but I've never found that the benefits outweight the drawbacks.

  38. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by leosayer1 View Post
    Larger wheels generally worsen ride quality, increase road noise and the tyres cost more to replace.

    On the plus side they generally look better and improve turn in and grip slightly.

    I can understand why many people prefer them but I've never found that the benefits outweight the drawbacks.
    My current 8P Sportback is an SE with standard suspension. Normally the SE comes with 16" alloys but on all four of my 8P A3s I've upgraded these to the 17" alloys with 225/45 tyres and found it's a good compromise between looks and ride comfort.

    My new 8V Sport will also have standard suspension and 17" alloys and 225/45 tyres so should ride even better as the suspension on the 8V is rated as much better that on the 8P. I would agree with that from the Sport demonstrator I drive a few weeks ago.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

  39. #78
    snakehips's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    North Herts
    Posts
    603
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    My current 8P Sportback is an SE with standard suspension. Normally the SE comes with 16" alloys but on all four of my 8P A3s I've upgraded these to the 17" alloys with 225/45 tyres and found it's a good compromise between looks and ride comfort.

    My new 8V Sport will also have standard suspension and 17" alloys and 225/45 tyres so should ride even better as the suspension on the 8V is rated as much better that on the 8P. I would agree with that from the Sport demonstrator I drive a few weeks ago.
    Well, my SE suspension on 18" rims is beautifully smooth so 17" can only make it even better.
    A3 SB S-Line TDi 184PS Quattro S-tronic. Shiraz Red, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Sunroof, LED lights, lots of other stuff.

 

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. After a bit of help working out vehicle spec.
    By Gavin0478 in forum General Technical / How To
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10th December 2013, 18:11
  2. the instant greamlins dont work in the footy forum
    By CARACTERE007 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 5th January 2003, 22:08

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO