Sky InsuranceMonster Motorsport
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By AndyWilo
  • 1 Post By cuke2u

Thread: Tyre pressure monitoring option

Stronic

Status

Tyre pressure monitoring option

I believe that the tyre pressure monitoring option will be a standard fitment for MY2015 cars, but as I'm planning to order very soon I will get a MY2014 build, so I was wondering if the tyre pressure monitoring option is worth adding?

A friend has this fitted to his Volkswagen, but has experienced several false alarms with it, which are quite annoying, so was wondering if the Audi system is more reliable, and does anyone know approximately how much the pressure has to fall before activation?

2. # ADS
    ADS

Banned

Status
    Well worth having.

2nd Gear

Status
    Got it on my Golf. Should already be fitted as standard on Audi IMO.

Seems to activate if there is a 10% difference between the tyres.

I have not had any false alarms. The system has only activated if one tyre is 3-4 psi different than the rest.

With modern suspension it can be difficult to notice/feel if a tyre is flat. With 17/18 and especially 19 inch tyres it can be difficult to visually see if a tyre has lost pressure. If you drive on a flat tyre it will destroy the tyre and could easily damage the alloy.

It activated when I had a screw through a 1 week old tyre. Replace a £100 tyre or £7 to repair?

There is also the safety and fuel economy considerations of always having your tyres at the same pressure.

Having said all that - a friend had all his tyres deflate at the same rate on his BMW. 4 new tyres needed. Though modern systems will detect this. AFAIK the Golf takes readings for the first 100 miles to get a baseline measurement of the rotation of the tyres at various speeds.
    Last edited by Daz Auto; 24th January 2014 at 08:14.

5th Gear

Status
    The system will not alarm if there is a gradual loss of pressure in all 4 tyres simultaneously.

ie: You still need to check your pressures regularly and replenish air lost through natural diffusion.

It will alarm if the pressure in one or more tyres differs from the stored value, in a relatively short time span.

S3 8V 3DR DSG ACC ABS ADS AMI ASR ASS DAB DBW DIS DRL EBA EBD EDL EGR EPB EPS ESP GPS LED MFSW MMI PDC PSF RAC SDXC TFSI CO2 EEC OTR WTF OMG

6th Gear

Status
    That's not true of the 2nd generation versions though Tire-pressure monitoring system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , so which one is fitted to the Audi?
    Now a proud owner of a A3 1.4 tfsi Saloon S-Line, 6-speed, Daytona Grey, Technology Pack, Comfort Pack, Cruise, Advanced Key, Privacy Glass, Audi Parking System Plus, Interior Lighting, Folding Door Mirrors, Light & Rain Sensor. Hold Assist.

5th Gear

Status
    UK Spec Audi S3 1st generation Indirect TPMS

S3 8V 3DR DSG ACC ABS ADS AMI ASR ASS DAB DBW DIS DRL EBA EBD EDL EGR EPB EPS ESP GPS LED MFSW MMI PDC PSF RAC SDXC TFSI CO2 EEC OTR WTF OMG

1st Gear

Status
    I thought the system worked by comparing the rotational circumferences? any difference between these measurements would trigger an alert ?

Ps Daz auto's BMW mate - all 4 deflating at the same time? Sounds like a Police Stinger to me !!!!
    2014 S3 Sportback, S-tronic, Estoril Blue, LED Headlights, Privacy Glass, Super Sport Seats, Extended mono.pur interior, Panoramic Roof, B & O Sound, Tech Pack/Phone prep High with Audi Connect, Side/Lane & Hold Assist, (incls HB assist and Speed Limit Display) Int light pack, Comfort pack, Advanced Key, Adaptive Cruise, Park System Plus, Reverse Cam, Audi Pre-Sense, Dim/heat/fold mirrors, TP monitor, Through Load, 5 yr Warranty & 3 yr Service plan!

6th Gear

Status
    Yes it uses the ABS sensors. The article in wiki suggests that the system can be updated to the 2nd generation using software asp. Wonder why Audi haven't done this.
    Now a proud owner of a A3 1.4 tfsi Saloon S-Line, 6-speed, Daytona Grey, Technology Pack, Comfort Pack, Cruise, Advanced Key, Privacy Glass, Audi Parking System Plus, Interior Lighting, Folding Door Mirrors, Light & Rain Sensor. Hold Assist.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Does anyone now if you already have your new A3 can the sensors be fitted after?

6th Gear

Status
    The sensors are already there, it is just enabled in the VCDS...

Reverse Gear

Status
    So does that mean I just get my dealer to enable it and pay him or can anyone do it if they have the know how?
    Thanks
    Daz Auto likes this.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cuke2u View Post
    The sensors are already there, it is just enabled in the VCDS...
    If only it were that simple. Though maybe Audi are different.

My GTD arrived without the TPMS. I had emails showing I had requested it. When I was picking up the car I asked the dealer to show me where the reset switch was. It had not been fitted. It was the one optional extra that I really wanted, as I do so many miles. If they had left off any other option I would not have cared.

Do Audi use a reset switch or is there a setting in the MMI.

Initially I was told that the dealer could not retro fit the switch and enable it. Though they did it eventually.
    Last edited by Daz Auto; 29th January 2014 at 20:08.

6th Gear

Status
    It's in the MMI
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

6th Gear

Status
    My last car had TMPS as standard and it was also controlled though the car systems, never a switch. I would have thought that any system that works through the car's ABS would be this way and only the system that works through the valves would have a switch...

Full LED baby !

Status
    Had a switch in my MK5 golf, and it was using abs
    A3 3-door TDI 184 Quattro Stronic Brilliant Red : Sline kit - Auxiliary heating - LED headlights - 18" 10-spoke rims - audi connect - magnetic ride - driver assistance package - side assist - rear camera + park assist - alcantara/leather seats - auto dimming mirror - panoramic glass sunroof - towing equipment - electric lumbar support - heated front seats - hold assist - high beam assist - advanced key - B&O sound system etc
    Tuning box DTUK, 235hp/480Nm
    1/4 Mile 13.84 @ 95.2 MPH
    Porsche BBK...

6th Gear

Status
    I guess as it is a Golf then.....

Banned

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by snowfree52 View Post
    Had a switch in my MK5 golf, and it was using abs
    Don't think mk 5 golf had TPMS !??

Quote Originally Posted by cuke2u View Post
    My last car had TMPS as standard and it was also controlled though the car systems, never a switch. I would have thought that any system that works through the car's ABS would be this way and only the system that works through the valves would have a switch...
    My existing 8P Sportback uses the ABS and has a switch on the dash. It is used to set the system if you change the tyres or use different tyre pressures according number of passengers and amount of luggage being carried. As far as I know it does the same as the item included in the 8V MMI screens.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

Banned

Status

Tyre pressure monitoring option

Our 2011 8P had a function in the settings on the display to reset the TPMS . There is no switch. Ours was a Black Edition quattro. Lesser versions may be different. Cuke is correct .

6th Gear

Status
    The whole concept for the interior of the 8v was to minimise the number switches. So hence no switch, its not needed anyway...
    cemerson likes this.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hello there,

My first post.

Here are a few links to some rather interesting reading on the subject of TPMS.

Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems: An Overview

indirect TPMS�-�Tires and Wheels

NIRA Dynamics - Tire Pressure Indicator

Neutral

Status
    It definitely works anyway, even tells you which wheel it is and to recheck them all, found that out fairly soon after getting mine (why do we always get punctures on brand new tyres)

Mine had a screw right through the centre and was hissing air out like nobody's business, wouldn't have noticed until it was flat otherwise as couldn't feel it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by PilotAudi View Post
    Our 2011 8P had a function in the settings on the display to reset the TPMS . There is no switch. Ours was a Black Edition quattro. Lesser versions may be different. Cuke is correct .
    Having had two new front tyres fitted today I found that, in fact my 8P does not have a switch. When I looked quickly the other day I confused it with the ESP switch. It is does through the DIS system even on "Lesser versions".
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

Full LED baby !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PilotAudi View Post
    Don't think mk 5 golf had TPMS !??
    yes they did :

A3 3-door TDI 184 Quattro Stronic Brilliant Red : Sline kit - Auxiliary heating - LED headlights - 18" 10-spoke rims - audi connect - magnetic ride - driver assistance package - side assist - rear camera + park assist - alcantara/leather seats - auto dimming mirror - panoramic glass sunroof - towing equipment - electric lumbar support - heated front seats - hold assist - high beam assist - advanced key - B&O sound system etc
    Tuning box DTUK, 235hp/480Nm
    1/4 Mile 13.84 @ 95.2 MPH
    Porsche BBK...