Tyre pressure monitoring option

Reaction score
I believe that the tyre pressure monitoring option will be a standard fitment for MY2015 cars, but as I'm planning to order very soon I will get a MY2014 build, so I was wondering if the tyre pressure monitoring option is worth adding?

A friend has this fitted to his Volkswagen, but has experienced several false alarms with it, which are quite annoying, so was wondering if the Audi system is more reliable, and does anyone know approximately how much the pressure has to fall before activation?

Got it on my Golf. Should already be fitted as standard on Audi IMO.

Seems to activate if there is a 10% difference between the tyres.

I have not had any false alarms. The system has only activated if one tyre is 3-4 psi different than the rest.

With modern suspension it can be difficult to notice/feel if a tyre is flat. With 17/18 and especially 19 inch tyres it can be difficult to visually see if a tyre has lost pressure. If you drive on a flat tyre it will destroy the tyre and could easily damage the alloy.

It activated when I had a screw through a 1 week old tyre. Replace a £100 tyre or £7 to repair?

There is also the safety and fuel economy considerations of always having your tyres at the same pressure.

Having said all that - a friend had all his tyres deflate at the same rate on his BMW. 4 new tyres needed. Though modern systems will detect this. AFAIK the Golf takes readings for the first 100 miles to get a baseline measurement of the rotation of the tyres at various speeds.

Last edited:
The system will not alarm if there is a gradual loss of pressure in all 4 tyres simultaneously.

ie: You still need to check your pressures regularly and replenish air lost through natural diffusion.

It will alarm if the pressure in one or more tyres differs from the stored value, in a relatively short time span.

I thought the system worked by comparing the rotational circumferences? any difference between these measurements would trigger an alert ?

Ps Daz auto's BMW mate - all 4 deflating at the same time? Sounds like a Police Stinger to me !!!!

Yes it uses the ABS sensors. The article in wiki suggests that the system can be updated to the 2nd generation using software asp. Wonder why Audi haven't done this.

Does anyone now if you already have your new A3 can the sensors be fitted after?

So does that mean I just get my dealer to enable it and pay him or can anyone do it if they have the know how?
Thanks

Reactions: Daz Auto
The sensors are already there, it is just enabled in the VCDS...

If only it were that simple. Though maybe Audi are different.

My GTD arrived without the TPMS. I had emails showing I had requested it. When I was picking up the car I asked the dealer to show me where the reset switch was. It had not been fitted. It was the one optional extra that I really wanted, as I do so many miles. If they had left off any other option I would not have cared.

Do Audi use a reset switch or is there a setting in the MMI.

Initially I was told that the dealer could not retro fit the switch and enable it. Though they did it eventually.

Last edited:
My last car had TMPS as standard and it was also controlled though the car systems, never a switch. I would have thought that any system that works through the car's ABS would be this way and only the system that works through the valves would have a switch...

My last car had TMPS as standard and it was also controlled though the car systems, never a switch. I would have thought that any system that works through the car's ABS would be this way and only the system that works through the valves would have a switch...

My existing 8P Sportback uses the ABS and has a switch on the dash. It is used to set the system if you change the tyres or use different tyre pressures according number of passengers and amount of luggage being carried. As far as I know it does the same as the item included in the 8V MMI screens.

Our 2011 8P had a function in the settings on the display to reset the TPMS . There is no switch. Ours was a Black Edition quattro. Lesser versions may be different. Cuke is correct .

The whole concept for the interior of the 8v was to minimise the number switches. So hence no switch, its not needed anyway...

Reactions: cemerson
It definitely works anyway, even tells you which wheel it is and to recheck them all, found that out fairly soon after getting mine (why do we always get punctures on brand new tyres)

Mine had a screw right through the centre and was hissing air out like nobody's business, wouldn't have noticed until it was flat otherwise as couldn't feel it at all.

Our 2011 8P had a function in the settings on the display to reset the TPMS . There is no switch. Ours was a Black Edition quattro. Lesser versions may be different. Cuke is correct .

Having had two new front tyres fitted today I found that, in fact my 8P does not have a switch. When I looked quickly the other day I confused it with the ESP switch. It is does through the DIS system even on "Lesser versions".

Don't think mk 5 golf had TPMS !??

yes they did :

20130427_121301_zps66f344bc.jpg

So is this standard in thee A3 Sport back S Line 15plate?

Like many have said before it's hard to notice on huge rims and tyres on my last car were just ridiculous!

So is this standard in thee A3 Sport back S Line 15plate?

Yes. It became standard on all MY15 cars built from late May 2014.

No dash buttons though (as in pic a few posts above) - it is set via the MMI.

John.

Reactions: TTP2120
It may be standard in Europe but it's still a $350 option in Canada. I got it on my MY15 S3