• 1 Post By snakehips
  • 1 Post By JohnnyM100
  • 1 Post By cemerson
  • 2 Post By Rexus

Thread: Heated Wing Mirrors?

Neutral

Status

Heated Wing Mirrors?

I am the proud owner of an Audi A3 1.8 TFSI Quattro. I have noticed that the heated wing mirrors do not appear to come on when I switch the rear screen heater on? Do the wing mirrors work independently?
    When it is damp/wet in the mornings there is often a coating of condensation on the wing mirrors. My previous vehicles would allow me to get rid of this by turning the rear screen heater on? Am I missing something?

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    The switch on the door that controls the mirrors has a setting far right to set them to heat.
    Little Red Monster likes this.
    A3 SB S-Line TDi 184PS Quattro S-tronic. Shiraz Red, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Sunroof, LED lights, lots of other stuff.

1st Gear

Status
    i much preferred it on the same button as the rear heater - it keeps getting left on with that knob!
    Audi A3 Sportback S line 1.8 TFSI S tronic - Scuba Blue
    Technology package - High with Audi Connect/Interior lighting package/Driver assistance package/Light and rain sensor package/Adaptive Xenon Plus headlights with variable range control/Advanced key/Aluminum roof rails/Audi pre sense/Auto-dimming rear-view mirror/Bang & Olufsen/Door mirrors-dimming, electrically adjustable,folding and heated/Heated seats/Audi side assist/Audi active lane assist/Rear side airbags/Tyre pressure loss indicator

2nd Gear

Status
    Firstly, congrats on the purchase.

With the mirror switch set as Snakehips mentions, the mirrors are heated for a pre defined time (~10 mins) and then cycle on very reduced power for the rest of the journey to keep them dry. Very useful in the wet weather when you may only need to use the heated rear window once.

You can check real time power usage in the DIS using the steering wheel buttons - I think it's called efficiency programme to show auxiliaries.

John.
    Enjoying my 8V

6th Gear

Status
    I leave mine permanently in the heated position this time of year. As John says, they turn themselves off after 10 minutes then only cycle for short periods to maintain the heat, so it's not much extra really.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    I leave mine permanently in the heated position this time of year. As John says, they turn themselves off after 10 minutes then only cycle for short periods to maintain the heat, so it's not much extra really.

Thank you one and all, good advice all round.

1st Gear

Status
    Some further advice which may prove useful - RTFM!
    Last edited by jet_andy; 23rd January 2014 at 20:15.
    A3 2.0 TDI Sportback Sport : Scuba Blue : Xenon Light Pack : Technology Pack : Audi Sound System : DAB : Hill Hold Assist : Comfort Pack....
    and Sport Suspension

Reverse Gear

Status
    So if I want the auto dip feature left on (I.e selector set to left) do I have to switch over to the heat position to get the mirrors to heat up? They don't just come on based on temperature?

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by seadoo180 View Post
    So if I want the auto dip feature left on (I.e selector set to left) do I have to switch over to the heat position to get the mirrors to heat up? They don't just come on based on temperature?
    One would assume so otherwise the 'heat position' is pretty pointless.

6th Gear

Status
    Yep, pretty much it. You can have heat, or mirror dipping. I've never used the mirror dip on mine though (reversing camera pretty much removes the need for it).
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

Neutral

Status
    Sounds a bit bonkers to me. Does that mean that if you have selected your mirrors to heat because it's an icy day, you them have to switch to dip when reversing the car then back to heat each time? Where's the sense in that?
    Silky-S3 and mjcourtney like this.

6th Gear

Status
    Yep