Sky InsuranceMonster Motorsport
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cemerson

Thread: LED Headlight Behaviour?

3rd Gear

Status

LED Headlight Behaviour?

Hi,
    I've had my car for 5 weeks now and still haven't quite worked out how the LED lights should behave. Normal usage is brilliant (literally!) but I still have a couple of questions that others may know the answer to:

1. What criteria determine when the turning lights come on? They certainly do when I'm going slowly and turning, but they often come on when I am going slowly and not turning. Does even a tiny adjustment of the wheel trigger them? (this question may apply to adaptive Xenon users too).
    2. Apparently LED lights includes "junction lights". I haven't actually noticed this feature yet (but I am notoriously unobservant according to my wife), so again what criteria trigger these? Are they the same lights as turning lights or something else? Maybe they are coming on as junction lights and I think they are turning lights, or vice versa?

Just trying to understand when and why certain lights are triggered so that I know what to expect.
    A3 SB S-Line TDi 184PS Quattro S-tronic. Shiraz Red, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Sunroof, LED lights, lots of other stuff.

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    I have normal xenon lights with the adaptive pack - this i find harder to notice as junctions are generally quite well lit in my area, but I do have 1 junction on my way home and as I slow down they come on as I approach the junction. In my road at home, as its not a junction, they only come on left or right as i'm turning the wheel to park

hope that helps
    Audi A3 Sportback S line 1.8 TFSI S tronic - Scuba Blue
    Technology package - High with Audi Connect/Interior lighting package/Driver assistance package/Light and rain sensor package/Adaptive Xenon Plus headlights with variable range control/Advanced key/Aluminum roof rails/Audi pre sense/Auto-dimming rear-view mirror/Bang & Olufsen/Door mirrors-dimming, electrically adjustable,folding and heated/Heated seats/Audi side assist/Audi active lane assist/Rear side airbags/Tyre pressure loss indicator

1st Gear

Status
    I havnt really worked it out, if its indicators or when moving the steering wheel.

The all waether (front fog lights but not fog light) button does put the lights on and adds a good deal of width to the light. Still even after reading the manual I am not sure when they should be used. Probably the same as when you would use normal fog lights???
    Last Car A5 Coupe 1.8 Sport,
    Current car 3 Door A1 1.4 (185) S line - Misano Red with contrast line, arm rest, 18" sline alloys, Xenon, Climate, tyre pressure monitor
    Next Car 3 Door S3 Stronic - Estoril Blue, Comfort Pack, LED Headlights, mono.pur, heated folding mirrors, AHH, B&O, parking plus, lighting pack, tyre pressure monitor

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Cumbrian_bob View Post
    I havnt really worked it out, if its indicators or when moving the steering wheel.

The all waether (front fog lights but not fog light) button does put the lights on and adds a good deal of width to the light. Still even after reading the manual I am not sure when they should be used. Probably the same as when you would use normal fog lights???
    I think it's definitely the steering wheel, but speed must also be a factor.
    Had bad fog today so used the "all weather" light for the first time. An extra bulb does come on but tbh couldn't really see much difference since the regular headlights are so good.
    A3 SB S-Line TDi 184PS Quattro S-tronic. Shiraz Red, Tech Pack, Comfort Pack, B&O, Sunroof, LED lights, lots of other stuff.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by andywil13 View Post
    I have normal xenon lights with the adaptive pack - this i find harder to notice as junctions are generally quite well lit in my area, but I do have 1 junction on my way home and as I slow down they come on as I approach the junction. In my road at home, as its not a junction, they only come on left or right as i'm turning the wheel to park

hope that helps
    Thanks. So do the junction lights come on simply because you are braking to below a certain speed? Maybe this is what I am seeing.

3rd Gear

Status
    How good are the actual high beam and dipped beam operation if the Led lights folks ?

3rd Gear

Status
    I can't fault the standard high and dipped beam. The pure white light is so much better than anything I've had before. Even the front indicators light up road signs 50 metres away.

3rd Gear

Status
    Nice, thanks.

5th Gear

Status
    The junction lights are connected to the nav into aren't they?
    Build Week 1: Panther Black S3 SB S-Tronic, black nappa, anthracite alloys, comfort pack with adaptive cruise and parking plus, active lane assist, adaptive xenons with variable range control and auto high beam, technology package HIGH with connect, B&O, tyre pressure warning, fold/dim/dip/heat mirrors, reversible boot liner, extended mono pur interior, privacy glass, hill hold assist, LED interior light pack, electric lumber support.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Itguy View Post
    The junction lights are connected to the nav into aren't they?
    Maybe. There is mention of something like that if you have Connect, which I don't. But does lack of Connect mean no junction functionality?

1st Gear

Status
    I assume the LEDs are the same as the xenon - the cornering lights also come on when you approach a junction at low speed, but both sides at the same time. It's linked to the Sat Nav. Can't remember exactly what they call it in the manual (don't have it to hand) but I think it's something like Intelligent lighting system.Look it up.

Easy to see them both come on when you pass a junction at low speed if you have xenon - they're standard halogen bulbs that have a distinct beam.
    A3 2.0 TDI Sportback Sport : Scuba Blue : Xenon Light Pack : Technology Pack : Audi Sound System : DAB : Hill Hold Assist : Comfort Pack....
    and Sport Suspension

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jet_andy View Post
    I assume the LEDs are the same as the xenon - the cornering lights also come on when you approach a junction at low speed, but both sides at the same time. It's linked to the Sat Nav. Can't remember exactly what they call it in the manual (don't have it to hand) but I think it's something like Intelligent lighting system.Look it up.

Easy to see them both come on when you pass a junction at low speed if you have xenon - they're standard halogen bulbs that have a distinct beam.
    Ah, so what I thought we're turning lights could have been junctions lights. I can't see the nearside one so can rarely tell if they are both on. They come on as you pass all junctions?
    Maybe I am blind as I didn't see anything in the manual. I'll look more closely tomorrow.

6th Gear

Status
    I think your question 2 answers your question 1...
    snowfree52 likes this.
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

1st Gear

Status
    I think speed, steering position and possibly brake position all play a part in switching on these extra lights but not entirely sure how, ive noticed these on both sides but only when turning, defo nothing to do with Nav, tech pack or connect as i dont have any of these!!.
    All I know is the LED lights are awesome and well worth speccing. The light output and colour are better than xenons and these turning/ junction lights whatever they are called are a good feature.
    Here at last: MY14 S3 Sportback, Manual, Estoril Blue, Rails, SS Seats, LED Headlights, Interior LED pack, Privacy glass, Comfort pack, Audi Sound System, Black Inlays.
    Just gone: MY13 Audi TT 2.0 TDI Quattro Amplified Black Edition, Misano Red, Privacy glass, Sat nav
    Previous : MY12 A3 2.0TDI Quattro Black Edition, Misano Red, Bose, Full Leather, Privacy glass

6th Gear

Status
    It is to do with nav if you have it - I think it states so in the manual. If you don't, there is probably some backup system in place that comes into play using these other factors.

And the turning lights come with Xenons too!
    Sport 2.0 TDI 150 Sportback in Scuba Blue, alcantara/leather, advanced key, audi sound system, comfort pack w/ ACC and park assist, deselect sports suspension, auto-dimming & folding door mirrors, electric lumbar support, heated seats, hold assist, non-smoking pack, side & lane assist, reversing camera, storage & luggage pack, tech pack with audi connect, tyre pressure warning, towbar, variable headlight range control, xenon light pack

Full LED baby !

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cemerson View Post
    I think your question 2 answers your question 1...
    You nailed it

when you are at a junction, the car will turn on both turning lights, transforming them into junction lights
    A3 3-door TDI 184 Quattro Stronic Brilliant Red : Sline kit - Auxiliary heating - LED headlights - 18" 10-spoke rims - audi connect - magnetic ride - driver assistance package - side assist - rear camera + park assist - alcantara/leather seats - auto dimming mirror - panoramic glass sunroof - towing equipment - electric lumbar support - heated front seats - hold assist - high beam assist - advanced key - B&O sound system etc
    Tuning box DTUK, 235hp/480Nm
    1/4 Mile 13.84 @ 95.2 MPH
    Porsche BBK...

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by snowfree52 View Post
    You nailed it

when you are at a junction, the car will turn on both turning lights, transforming them into junction lights
    I did suspect question 2 was answering question 1 but as I said I can only see the offside light come on from my driving position so to me it looks like a right-turn light.
    So just to confirm, you say that at low speeds the junction lights will come on as I approach T junctions and crossroads and even as I pass side roads?

Full LED baby !

Status
    yes

T junctions definitely, for the rest, I think yes but wouldn't bet my hand, as most of the time I don't really look at it
    A3 3-door TDI 184 Quattro Stronic Brilliant Red : Sline kit - Auxiliary heating - LED headlights - 18" 10-spoke rims - audi connect - magnetic ride - driver assistance package - side assist - rear camera + park assist - alcantara/leather seats - auto dimming mirror - panoramic glass sunroof - towing equipment - electric lumbar support - heated front seats - hold assist - high beam assist - advanced key - B&O sound system etc
    Tuning box DTUK, 235hp/480Nm
    1/4 Mile 13.84 @ 95.2 MPH
    Porsche BBK...

1st Gear

Status
    And as for your turning lights, they work when stationary (xenons do anyway) so you can start up in the drive, turn the headlights on and turn the wheel to see at what point they come on. Doesn't need much angle.
    A3 2.0 TDI Sportback Sport : Scuba Blue : Xenon Light Pack : Technology Pack : Audi Sound System : DAB : Hill Hold Assist : Comfort Pack....
    and Sport Suspension