Coils vs magnetic ride

ConS3

Reaction score
So I'm looking at things down the road. You can't run DDC coils with magnetic ride as they would have to share the same strut.

My S3 is optioned with magnetic ride. Would a good set of coils like a KW Variant 2 offer the same ride to replace the magnetic ride?

A tricky decision and one I made when placing my order. I'd read a lot of mixed reviews regarding mag-ride so wasn't totally convinced it would be as good as I would expect. On top of this, I was certain I would want to lower my ride height and I didn't want to compromise Audi's factory setup by replacing the stock OEM springs with short after market ones. For this reason, I opted not to spec mag-ride and hold out for something new from the mainstream suspension brands.

I have approached KW and they have informed me that they are awaiting an S3 in their German R&D facility with a view to develop some new products. As they already have V1/2/3 developed for this car, I can only assume that they might be looking to develop a smart damper that could intergrate with the Drive Select module, in a similar fashion to their DCC setup which is available for ACC equipped VWs.

A KW DCC coilover setup tightly integrated into the Drive Select module would be ideal for me so I'm going to leave it 12 months and see what happens... fingers crossed!

Reactions: ConS3
Thanks for that. It's not as difficult a decision for me to replace the magnetic ride with coils. Magnetic ride is part of a package for us. Not an individual option. The only reason I'm getting it is because I chose the package, which had other items I wanted. The mag ride is just a bonus!

I'd someone comes out with coils to work with Drive Select, I'd go for that!

Oh and btw, I have also been speaking with KW. They are working on a set of coils to work with drive select. Apparently about a month away to release!