Audi Sound System Upgrade vs. Standard System

phisshh

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm speccing the audio on my new 8V A3 and was wondering if anyone can give me a steer!

Sadly I can't stretch to the B&O system but can manage the Audi upgrade. Is it worth upgrading from the standard? Or is the difference negligible?

Thanks in advance!

Do it without any doubt.

The *** is a great upgrade over the very poor standard system. Really gives it some ooompf.

I've read the above comparison but was looking at the *** vs Standard :)

I was relatively impressed with the standard system... so that's promising!

I was relatively impressed with the standard system... so that's promising!

Really? IMO it's the one poor quality feature of the entire car. But obviously if you're happy with it then no point spending extra.

Reactions: markjames
Really? IMO it's the one poor quality feature of the entire car. But obviously if you're happy with it then no point spending extra.

I suppose it depends on what you listen to and how often. Personally I hardly ever listen to the radio or have any music playing when I'm driving. Having said that I would probably spec the *** as my wife likes to listen to music when she is driving on her own.

With the A3 the sound systems are rather like the suspension types, try before you buy. What sounds good to one person might sound rubbish to another, and visa versa...

I suppose it depends on what you listen to and how often. Personally I hardly ever listen to the radio or have any music playing when I'm driving. Having said that I would probably spec the *** as my wife likes to listen to music when she is driving on her own.

You really should push the boat out Dave and get B & O .. Mrs Robinson will love it! ;-)

With the A3 the sound systems are rather like the suspension types, try before you buy. What sounds good to one person might sound rubbish to another, and visa versa...

The problem is finding demonstrators with the various systems. So far driven five different ones and they have all had just the standard system. I tend not to listen when I'm testing driving as my wife and I are talking most of the time about the car I am driving.

You really should push the boat out Dave and get B & O .. Mrs Robinson will love it! ;-)

Although she likes listening to music when she is driving I doubt that, for the amount she drives my car, she would think it was value for money. Perhaps in her own A1 if she has another one.

Although she likes listening to music when she is driving I doubt that, for the amount she drives my car, she would think it was value for money. Perhaps in her own A1 if she has another one.

So why bother with ***?

I must admit to being in JFDI mode these days.

I have heard both the standard system and the *** (which I have in my car). There is a very significant difference and it is a highly worthwhile upgrade. If I bought another 8V I would certainly pay for the ***, or if I could stretch to it the B&O. The main advantages of the *** is a centre speaker and a boot mounted sub woofer which is surprisingly effective. It goes down quite low and you can hear bass which is totally missing on the standard system. I think there is a 180 watt multi-channel amplifier with the *** and it goes loud, to the point where the car starts shaking under the extreme bass! The MMI allows the sub woofer levels to be set for your own listening preference and the sub woofer fits around the spare tyre in the boot, so you don't lose the spare. It's quite an engineering feat.

If you live anywhere near Newbury you're welcome to PM me to stop by and take a listen to my A3's ***. I am more than happy with it. We have a Mk VII Golf and I miss the Audi *** every time I drive it. The standard speakers in the Golf, which are very similar to the Audi standard fit fall way below the sound I get from the ***.

I would definitely recommend you upgrade. The bass improvement alone makes it worthwhile. The centre speaker is also supposed yo benefit hands free phone usage.

Hope this helps.
Steve

Reactions: oufc1976

I sort of agree. No point in upgrading if happy with the standard system, but I can't imagine vice versa ever applying.

So why bother with ***?

I must admit to being in JFDI mode these days.

I think *** is probably worth £255 for the times I do listen, particularly when I'm not actually driving.

And what on earth is JFDI mode???

Brilliant thanks for the replies chaps, I enjoy my music and rarely drive without it. So I'll be opting for the ***, I think I was quite pleased with the standard as I'm coming from a Renault Megane Sport!...

JFDI = Just F**king Do It

I have the *** and I am extremely glad I specced it ! I amended my order to add it on which delayed my order by 3 weeks but was 100% worth it as I had Bose in my previous sportback! Such a difference between the standard speakers and upgraded speakers !

100% have it !

Dammit, so wanted this if I could. What do you think would involve in a retro fit of the B&O sound system or even the Audi ***. I know there is an amp involved but how much work is required? Can I take out the existing speakers and swap them over with B&O and then hook them up to the amp which sits under the passenger seat?

My point was that review paints the B&O like *** on steroids. The standard system is pretty pants IMHO, and given the reputation the B&O has, the step to spec. *** is pretty much a no brainer unless you never listen to music/radio...

Reactions: Daveotto, JohnM100 and PilotAudi
We love music and whilst *** is great B&O is better but costs more. If finance was an issue I'd definitely have ***

Hi Guys,

I'm speccing the audio on my new 8V A3 and was wondering if anyone can give me a steer!

Sadly I can't stretch to the B&O system but can manage the Audi upgrade. Is it worth upgrading from the standard? Or is the difference negligible?

Thanks in advance!

Phisshh, please just be aware, that any post on this forum on options, will almost always yield a view to get the more expensive option!! Inevitably if you spend more, you will get more, however at a personal level it has to come down to value or money for you given your preferences and levels of use. If you are not careful you would end up pretty much speccing the entire options list if you asked this forum! (by the way I'm not far off :))

Reactions: BGS
I have the B&O system and it's exceptionally good. However, I am a bit of an audiophile and appreciate the high quality audio production from the system.

That said, I do recall sitting in a A3 8V Sportback at the dealer's last year which had the Audi Sound System and must admit that it was pretty good. Good sound reproduction and nice toned bass. Seemed plenty loud.

My assessment:
* Standard System: Adequate for everyday listening (i.e. suitable for the vast majority of folks).
* Audi Sound System: If you appreciate music or want a more fuller sound, go for this. Great sound and good value.
* B&O: Top-end. For audiophiles (or those who just love the LED strips on the front speakers!).

Reactions: cuke2u, h5djr, BGS and 1 other person
Another way of looking at this is comparing it to what you would spend at home in audio......

Amstrad/no hi-fi systema at all........ Go for standard
Sony or equivalent and maybe sonos streaming to a single room type systems........Go for audi upgrade
Anything above ... multiple room streaming/separate amps etc etc......go for B&O

Last edited:
Reactions: phisshh, mjcourtney, M_D_O_London and 1 other person
I have the B&O system and it's exceptionally good. However, I am a bit of an audiophile and appreciate the high quality audio production from the system.

That said, I do recall sitting in a A3 8V Sportback at the dealer's last year which had the Audi Sound System and must admit that it was pretty good. Good sound reproduction and nice toned bass. Seemed plenty loud.

My assessment:
* Standard System: Adequate for everyday listening (i.e. suitable for the vast majority of folks).
* Audi Sound System: If you appreciate music or want a more fuller sound, go for this. Great sound and good value.
* B&O: Top-end. For audiophiles (or those who just love the LED strips on the front speakers!).

I have a good quality Marantz component system in the house because that is where I listen to music or watch films with the sound though the hi-fi system. But I tend not to listen to music very much if at all in the car except when I'm parked and waiting for some reason. Therefore for me I think the Audi Sound System will be more than enough for the car. The B+0 system would just be over the top. The LED strips would be nice but not at £375 each!!

Wonder if you can retro-fit the strips to a non B&O system? :p

Wonder if you can retro-fit the strips to a non B&O system? :p

Looking at ETKA it seems the fibre-optic trim as it's described are built-in to the door panel and are listed as not available as an individual item. However there is an part list as the LED Module at £9.50. A complete new door panel is listed at £310. I wonder if the fibre-optic bit is there on all models but on illuminated by the LED module if B+O is fitted. Further investigation required in Elsawin I think.

I had a faulty LED trim on my B&O last year, the dealer ordered in a new 'LED Trim' and fitted it in 10 mins. Just to add to the confusion... looking at my speakers, the LED strip seems to be part of the speaker and not part of the door!

I found the audi sound system upgrade in my A6 was better than the B&O on my A5.

ive ordered the B&O on my A3 so hoping it will be as good as my A6 :)

I had a faulty LED trim on my B&O last year, the dealer ordered in a new 'LED Trim' and fitted it in 10 mins. Just to add to the confusion... looking at my speakers, the LED strip seems to be part of the speaker and not part of the door!

Interesting because ETKA lists a loudspeaker trim for the code 9VS which is the B+O option but this is the actual trim in front of the speaker itself. It also lists a trim insert which goes round the loudspeaker trim which it says is a "fibre optic conductor **not exchangeable** contained in door trim panel". And then there is the LED unit which is just a square unit which fits inside the door.

It looks like the LED Unit generates the light and the fibre optic conductor show the light around the speaker and this is a different part number for the 9VS option (B+O) to the standard speaker options.

Hm, maybe I should have a closer look at mine. I'm not really that bothered about the lights but if they are cheap enough it might be worth doing :p

Interesting because ETKA lists a loudspeaker trim for the code 9VS which is the B+O option but this is the actual trim in front of the speaker itself. It also lists a trim insert which goes round the loudspeaker trim which it says is a "fibre optic conductor **not exchangeable** contained in door trim panel". And then there is the LED unit which is just a square unit which fits inside the door.

It looks like the LED Unit generates the light and the fibre optic conductor show the light around the speaker and this is a different part number for the 9VS option (B+O) to the standard speaker options.

Weird! On mine the fibre optic conductor peeled away from the end of the door and looked a bit naff as it exposed the LED, so they told me they ordered in a replacement conductor / strip. Perhaps they've now changed the design so the strip is bonded to the door trim panel? (Unless they really did change my entire door trim panel, but that seems a tad excessive!!)

Weird! On mine the fibre optic conductor peeled away from the end of the door and looked a bit naff as it exposed the LED, so they told me they ordered in a replacement conductor / strip. Perhaps they've now changed the design so the strip is bonded to the door trim panel? (Unless they really did change my entire door trim panel, but that seems a tad excessive!!)

I suppose Audi may have changed the design if they had a number of the fibre optic conductors peel away and now only offer it bonded to a complete door panel.

I've also had a look in Elsawin and it does not give any indications that the lower door speaker cover can be easily removed.

Can anyone who has the Audi sound system, please post a couple of photos showing the centre speaker in the dashboard and the subwoofer in the spare wheel well.

Many thanks, Allan

Yep, looks exactly the same for the Audi Sound System

For all those who say they are audiophiles... A true audiophile wouldn't listen to music in a car - the noise floor is far too loud :)

Reactions: veeeight
For all those who say they are audiophiles... A true audiophile wouldn't listen to music in a car - the noise floor is far too loud :)

Yes but if you want to listen to music in a car B&O is great ( especially in an A7 or A8! )

I have the B&O sound system. I am currently in a loan car with the standard Audi, and the center speaker from what I can tell looks exactly the same as the B&O center speaker. I dare say the grill is the same, its just what is underneath that is changed. Let me know if you want a pic still

Another way of looking at this is comparing it to what you would spend at home in audio......

Amstrad/no hi-fi systema at all........ Go for standard
Sony or equivalent and maybe sonos streaming to a single room type systems........Go for audi upgrade
Anything above ... multiple room streaming/separate amps etc etc......go for B&O

I've gone for the Audi Sound System, so i'll look forward to being impressed!

Good way to look at it Daveotto, I sit firmly in the middle!

Reactions: Daveotto
Good choice, phisshh. I am what you might call an audiophile, spending £300 on pickup cartridge for my record player. But my *** definitely provides me with all I need.
Consider an MMI configuration with two SD slots. I have my whole 1000 CD collection ripped in AAC 320kbps copied to a 128Gb SD card. Nice to drive to Italy with all your music (apart from the LP´s).