How strange, my car doesnt like The Beatles.......

steeve

Reaction score
How odd, I've got my iTunes library copied onto an SD card. I'm not too sure that everything is there but The Beatles are definitely missing.
So I deleted it all, downloaded another Beatles album from iTunes and reloaded them all onto the SD card. Whilst the songs are on the card when I put it in my PC they still don't appear when the card is in the car. Tech Pack by the way.

Any ideas? As I'm of an age where I quite like The Beatles, they are on the my iPhone as the same library is on there. How many tracks will the car accept?

I would go and ask 'the fool on the hill'...

How odd, I've got my iTunes library copied onto an SD card. I'm not too sure that everything is there but The Beatles are definitely missing.
So I deleted it all, downloaded another Beatles album from iTunes and reloaded them all onto the SD card. Whilst the songs are on the card when I put it in my PC they still don't appear when the card is in the car. Tech Pack by the way.

Any ideas? As I'm of an age where I quite like The Beatles, they are on the my iPhone as the same library is on there. How many tracks will the car accept?

The problem is probably related to the iTunes purchase. Songs purchased through iTunes have DRM (Digital Rights Management) tied to the songs. This basically means that they will only ever work on Apple devices (sux doesn't it). I believe they have a 'DRM' free version of the songs for more money but I stopped buying music of iTunes ever since the first song I downloaded would not work elsewhere.

To answer your last question, thousands of songs. We have 3000+ on an SD card and the are all recognised by the car (except for that ****** iTunes track)

Love the topic name!

I reckon that if an Audi really did have a preference for certain bands then Kraftwerk would probably be somewhere near the top of the list.

The problem is probably related to the iTunes purchase. Songs purchased through iTunes have DRM (Digital Rights Management) tied to the songs. This basically means that they will only ever work on Apple devices (sux doesn't it).
I think I'm right in saying that this used to be the case, but isn't any more and hasn't been for a while. Certainly the songs I've purchased through iTunes (all in the last year or so) work perfectly in the car.

I wonder if you bought the Beatles songs earlier than others, so they are afflicted with DRM.

Maybe try backing them up (just in case), deleting them from your iTunes library on the PC, and them re-downloading them from iTunes (you can download track you've purchased but which aren't in your library). Maybe you'd get a DRM-free version now... (or maybe it'd remember that you had a DRM version first time round and do the same again...).

Could be worth a try though. I'm not sure whether you can tell from the files' properties whether they have DRM applied or not.

One other thought - it's not confusion over whether "The Beatles" is alphabetically sorted under 'T' for "The" or 'B' for "Beatles" is it? I've got a feeling that iTunes and my A3 have different opinions about whether the "The" counts whilst sorting.

The songs have copied to the SD card. But I think there may be quite a few that don't show up on the car. I have the Rolling Stones (shows my age Beatles and Stones???) from I tunes and that plays OK.

I need to do a comparison between SD card (phone) and car just to see how many don't show up.
I must admit I'm quite baffled but that's not too unusual.

Its not naming as I've run through the whole library and they are not there. I'll have to try Kraftwerk, on second thoughts perhaps some one else could??

Is there any way to check if its DRM?

Is there any way to check if its DRM?
There must be a way, but I haven't got iTunes or any of my music on the computer I'm using right now so I can't help.

A quick Google suggested that iTunes stopped adding DRM some point about 2009, so if you purchased them before that they'll be DRM. It also looks like they switched from 128kbps to 256kbps at about the same time - maybe at the same time. Certainly mine are 256, and they're all DRM free. Older ones were 128 and were DRM. You can tell the bitrate just from the file properties.

It also looks like my idea of re-downloading them probably won't work - it looks like they know whether you originally bought the 128 DRM or 256 DRM-free and they stick with what you bought unless you've got Match.