Graunching noise from front suspension

BigD289

Reaction score
Our car seems to have developed a graunching noise from the front suspension when you go over speed humps/sleeping policeman. This never used to happen which is starting to make me think there is something wrong with the suspension.

Has anyone else experienced this???

Get it checked by Audi, I had a whirring noise and ended up being a broken bearing... until my dad owned up to the fact that he smashed (well hit the curb exiting) the car on a roundabout ...

Dunno who drives your car but if someone else drives it they could have well done the same.

Our car seems to have developed a graunching noise from the front suspension when you go over speed humps/sleeping policeman. This never used to happen which is starting to make me think there is something wrong with the suspension.

Has anyone else experienced this???
Do you have stronic?

Have EXACTLY the same with mine. Sometimes it does it, sometimes not. Speed and the bump in question makes no difference. Only ever does it over speed bumps, nowhere else.

Has been looked at by the dealer but they couldn't reproduce it nor find anything wrong. The fact yours does it too suggests maybe it's a design issue or a bad batch of dampers or something?

Have EXACTLY the same with mine. Sometimes it does it, sometimes not. Speed and the bump in question makes no difference. Only ever does it over speed bumps, nowhere else.

Has been looked at by the dealer but they couldn't reproduce it nor find anything wrong. The fact yours does it too suggests maybe it's a design issue or a bad batch of dampers or something?

That is very interesting. Its is the same here, only over speed humps and only when I first drive the car. (it wasn't doing it yesterday afternoon no matter how many speed humps I drove over). Maybe it is related to the dampers not functioning properly until that warm up a bit.

We're booked to go into the dealer in a few weeks, might try to record the noise so I have something to show them!

The sound you describe seems to be exactly the same issue I had intermittently on my 2010 MkVI Golf GT. Didn't happen all the time but when it did, it was noticeable. At one point I thought it may have just ben down to the springs / dampers creaking when cold - but it wasn't, (noise was coming mainly from front passenger side wheel arch). Dealer wasn't able to diagnose any issue either. It didn't affect performance in any way, but was slightly annoying when it did occur.

Interesting, I have this too, as others have said, sometimes yes, sometimes no (even on the same speed table). Appears to me like front drivers side only. I thought it may have been a bit of loose trim, had a quick look underneath and nothing appears out of place.

Will keep and eye on what others report.

Well I dropped our car in at the dealer and.... they didn't find anything.... I think it is related to the dampers. It only seems to happen when the car is cold, not after you have been driving for a bit.

Will keep an eye on it to see if it gets worse.